Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2020 12:22:05 PM EDT
I'm an FFL in Florida. My customer is a FL resident and is currently in Utah. He wants to buy a rifle from me and have it shipped to Utah. Is this possible?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly legal under federal law.
Unless there is a FL or UT law prohibiting such a transfer.
The buyer would fill out a Form 4473 and the Utah dealer would run NICS on the buyer.

If you are asking can you ship directly to the buyer.........hell no.

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks dogtowntom. I know I can't ship it to him direct.

The hang up I'm having is that he is a FL resident staying in Utah. Because it's a long gun it's not a problem not being a Utah resident and doing the 4473 with a Utah FFL?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks dogtowntom. I know I can't ship it to him direct.

The hang up I'm having is that he is a FL resident staying in Utah. Because it's a long gun it's not a problem not being a Utah resident and doing the 4473 with a Utah FFL?
View Quote

It's been legal since 1986 to sell a rifle or shotgun to a resident of another state, as long as the sale and transfer is legal in both states. (thanks to FOPA '86)
Prior to 1986 a dealer could only sell rifles or shotguns to contiguous states.

California for example prohibits the out of state transfer of any firearm to a California resident. They can pay for it, but the firearm must be shipped to a CA dealer.

Further, for the purposes of acquiring firearms, ATF considers you a resident of the state where you make your home. See ATF Ruling 2010-6 State of Residence
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you Sir. You are always a wealth of proper guidance & knowledge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top