Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 2:49:58 PM EDT
Since I got such great information on NVGs in my previous thread, may as well move on to the next subject.

Thermal scopes. I would like something for hunting, that has enough range that I could pick out creatures and identify man vs beast at up to 1km (if that's even feasible in my price range).

I've never actually used a thermal scope so I'm really not knowledgeable about those particular products, however I'm used to higher end thermal cameras (I'm using one as I type this ) so I have at least a baseline of knowledge about them in general.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up both a weapon mounted scope and a scouting optic as well, so the latter will be saved for its own thread.

Primary "wants" are long range and solid reliability. I don't need frills, don't have to record anything or that type of stuff (though I won't turn up my nose at it).

Budget is around $5k, preferably not a lot more than that.

So... recommendations are welcome, brands to consider and avoid, pitfalls, etc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
nothing even remotely close to your price range will accomplish even half of your identification range.  The thermals in the sub ~5k mark will be good for ID out to about 300m give or take.   In order to get further, you are looking at minimum ReapIR 60mm that is over 9K, next would be a HALO LR at 7ish, and if you want a clip on the ceapest will be the new-ish TigIR for near 11k.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using a super hogster as a handheld device. I can identify hogs or deer at over 600 yards.
I'll eventually mount it on a rifle.

I would expect it to work beyond those ranges as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
a friend has one of these and its amazing but it was $6,500 if I remember right.

https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/products/33/thermal-imaging-riflescopes/trail-lrf/
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Pulsar Thermion XP38 and absolutely love it. Mounted it on a 6.8 SPC. Great for hogs, etc. If you shop, it fits your price range (we got ours for $4500).
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The XP50 is in that price range.  Humans are harder to detect than animals at longer ranges in my experience because clothes dumb down the heat signature.  Bare animals glow much better.  But yeah, you can ID animals pretty easy at 1k with that thermon and some practice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Great info so far, guys... thanks. Looking like Pulsar is well regarded
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nothing even remotely close to your price range will accomplish even half of your identification range.  The thermals in the sub ~5k mark will be good for ID out to about 300m give or take.   In order to get further, you are looking at minimum ReapIR 60mm that is over 9K, next would be a HALO LR at 7ish, and if you want a clip on the ceapest will be the new-ish TigIR for near 11k.
View Quote

IDK man, its pretty easy to PID animals at 1k with 640 units.  Even a MH25 that's 1.1x.  Behavior, size, gait, head position, "air" between the body and ground all give you clues.  

This is a good example.  In this video there are deer, hogs, coyotes, and cows ranging from 500 yards to 2000ish yards.  Its pretty easy to tell the difference between them all, especially when you have a bunch of animals to reference against each other.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm using a super hogster as a handheld device. I can identify hogs or deer at over 600 yards.
I'll eventually mount it on a rifle.

I would expect it to work beyond those ranges as well.
View Quote

I have a Super Hogster as well,and second this.  

I can identify deer and coyote at 1/2 mile (maybe a pack of dogs vs coyote). Easy to tell by the way things move what they are. Horse and cattle at 1/2 mile plus are easy as well. A lot depends on the temperature-things jump right out when it's 30 and below out.

The auxillary rechargeable battery pack is a must have as well,imo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IDK man, its pretty easy to PID animals at 1k with 640 units.  Even a MH25 that's 1.1x.  Behavior, size, gait, head position, "air" between the body and ground all give you clues.  

This is a good example.  In this video there are deer, hogs, coyotes, and cows ranging from 500 yards to 2000ish yards.  Its pretty easy to tell the difference between them all, especially when you have a bunch of animals to reference against each other.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVj6fJZDQ1c
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVj6fJZDQ1c

I have used amazing thermals, and I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling the trigger on something I was not 100 percent certain of its ID.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
For a scope in your price range you might consider a Pulsar Trail 2 LRF. If you can swing the XP50 awesome...but also take a look at the XQ50. Still a great image just higher mag (3.5x), and cheaper. I used to own a trail XP50 and would use digital zoom, which made it functionally the same as the XQ version. If most of your hunting is within 50 yards go with the lower base mag.

Then go check out the new Pulsar Helion 2 PRO. 2.5x magnification. It uses the same high capacity battery as the Trail 2.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have used amazing thermals, and I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling the trigger on something I was not 100 percent certain of its ID.
View Quote

No triggers would be pulled on anything that isn't ID'd. I just want to be able to differentiate between human or animal at that range.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The pulsar RXQ30V is a really sweet deal for an entry level thermal IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top