Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/26/2021 12:05:25 PM EDT
The whole covid thing along with the isolation of working from home full time has gotten me a little bummed out.  A therapist fiend mentioned a few simple coping mechanisms and mentioned when he was a medic in the army in the desert he would spend hours drawing and dry-firing his pistol as a way to calm himself.
That reminded me, when I was in college I would sit at the desk in my dorm room playing with a butterfly knife almost like a fidget spinner.  That knife is long gone as it grew legs and walked away. I'm in the market for a new one.  What do you guys have and like? What should I stay away from? Budget is $200 and below.

I have an old Spyderco Spyderfly in my collection but it's not very much fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Benchmade for a real Butterfly knife
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't tried any of these yet, but have been looking for awhile. Check out Atropos knife,  also Maxace makes some pretty nice ones.  For the money I think the new Boker plus one would good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
OP - if you can increase your budget, I would look into he BRS Alpha Beast or BRS Replicant. These balisongs are made for flipping and would withstand more abuse than other brands.

Stay away from cheap ass brands like Bear and sons. They'll end up breaking on you causing more harm than good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I still "flip" mine on occasion,  I've had it since 1988

Attachment Attached File

Singapore butterfly I by Frost
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still "flip" mine on occasion,  I've had it since 1988

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35509/20210226_120523_jpg-1842204.JPG

Singapore butterfly I by Frost
View Quote

Too funny, the one I lost was a Frost.  It was, contrary to popular opinion, a great knife. Apparently someone else thought it was too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Kershaw Lucha is a solid made in USA option that beats anything in its price range.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Anything with zen style pins.

My favorite is the Bradley Mayhem (it's shaped as more useful everyday knife; not necessarily a flipper).  Titanium handles, spring loaded latch, zen pins, S30V, useful curved handle and blade profile... Awesome workehorse daily carry knife.  It's as close to a BM butterfly as you can have in your hands without the "Benchmade" logo.  It's closest comparison would be the Benchmade 53 (a cool knife but terrible flipper with it's all plastic handles).  Bradley saw the BM53 and made everything wrong about it right with the Mayhem.  It's still fairly underrated because of asymmetry making it an awkward flipper; but common useful manipulations remain effortless so it's a great EDC butterfly knife.

Bradley Mayhem:
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kershaw Lucha is a solid made in USA option that beats anything in its price range.
View Quote

That is intriguing. Especially at that price and given the fact that Benchmade is persona non grata anymore.  Kershaw's Sandvik 14C28N takes a razor-sharp edge pretty easy, although I wish it held an edge better like D2 or S30V.  But overall Kershaw makes fantastic butterfly knives.  Fun Fact: Kershaw was the OEM of much of the Bradley Kimura lineup (a VERY successful line of affordable butterflies).  So the Lucha lineup is not Kershaw's first foray into butterflies.  In fact, Bradley actually "manufactures" very few of their own knives in house.  For example, the Bradley Mayhem mentioned above is actually OEM by Benchmade.

If that knife had titanium handles, less slender/delicate tip, spring latch, and tougher blade material I'd pay $300+ for it all day long.  However at $120, I might get one anyways. That's ALOT of butterfly for <$150
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER....My son has had many and he loves this one for the price...BEST BANG for the buck without a doubt
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER....My son has had many and he loves this one for the price...BEST BANG for the buck without a doubt
View Quote

That's definitely on the list.  Wasn't sure how smoothly it would spin in my palm but it seems to be high quality.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's definitely on the list.  Wasn't sure how smoothly it would spin in my palm but it seems to be high quality.
View Quote

They are awesome and for the price I would be shocked if you are disappointed in anyway
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anything with zen style pins.

My favorite is the Bradley Mayhem (it's shaped as more useful everyday knife; not necessarily a flipper).  Titanium handles, spring loaded latch, zen pins, S30V, useful curved handle and blade profile... Awesome workehorse daily carry knife.  It's as close to a BM butterfly as you can have in your hands without the "Benchmade" logo.  It's closest comparison would be the Benchmade 53 (a cool knife but terrible flipper with it's all plastic handles).  Bradley saw the BM53 and made everything wrong about it right with the Mayhem.  It's still fairly underrated because of asymmetry making it an awkward flipper; but common useful manipulations remain effortless so it's a great EDC butterfly knife.

Bradley Mayhem:
http://popgun.ru/files/g/64/orig/2351544.jpg
View Quote
sortofwant.jpeg
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
no pocket clip otherwise i'd get one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
ended up getting a Kershaw Lucha for $104.

it's sharp. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked my BM51 - it was a sad day when I lost it...

Oh well

Red
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:59:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one of these somewhere around the house. Unfortunately discontinued, but smooth action and nice steel.
Attachment Attached File

They do have another Kimura version available but haven't tried them. If the quality is anywhere near the one I have, I'd say go for it.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bradley-Kimura-Butterfly-Balisong--87379
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have one of these somewhere around the house. Unfortunately discontinued, but smooth action and nice steel.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/BRAD5500VII_jpg-1880268.JPG

They do have another Kimura version available but haven't tried them. If the quality is anywhere near the one I have, I'd say go for it.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bradley-Kimura-Butterfly-Balisong--87379
View Quote

I have one of the new Bradley knives. They're made by Bear and Son who doesn't have the best reputation for quality, but mine is surprisingly decent. Only complaint is its a little heavy to be whipping around.

I'd take a good look at the Kershaw. I don't like they put a giant hole in the tang of what is otherwise the most durable folding knife design, but who's really going to beat on a balisong.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
29 Knives in Cambridge MA make some of the nicest blades ever.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have one of the new Bradley knives. They're made by Bear and Son who doesn't have the best reputation for quality, but mine is surprisingly decent. Only complaint is its a little heavy to be whipping around.

I'd take a good look at the Kershaw. I don't like they put a giant hole in the tang of what is otherwise the most durable folding knife design, but who's really going to beat on a balisong.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fine. Next time I go camping I'll bring it.

It's going to be a bit, but I'll find out how a Bradley Kimura batons at least.

Edit: Now that I got this thing out and started playing with it again I realized I actually like it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oof. I didn't know that. I bought a Bear and Sons balisong once in order to get free shipping on another knife I bought. In retrospect, I'd have been better off paying the shipping. The pic you posted looks like a quality knife, not sure I like the plastic scales though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fine. Next time I go camping I'll bring it.

It's going to be a bit, but I'll find out how a Bradley Kimura batons at least.

Edit: Now that I got this thing out and started playing with it again I realized I actually like it.

https://s12.directupload.net/images/210327/olilu6ub.jpg
View Quote
did you not see my pic above of where i cut myself with my new balisong?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Oof. I didn't know that. I bought a Bear and Sons balisong once in order to get free shipping on another knife I bought. In retrospect, I'd have been better off paying the shipping. The pic you posted looks like a quality knife, not sure I like the plastic scales though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Honestly, I can't find much to complain about. G10 is an amazingly tough resin product, and they're removable if you please.

Seeing the Kershaw weighs the same and uses Sandvik makes it a bit less appealing, but most people will buy them as toys regardless.

Quoted:
did you not see my pic above of where i cut myself with my new balisong?

The beer will numb any potential injuries.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top