Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2019 9:10:31 PM EDT
Hi everyone. I have been here thinking about bullpup's and bullpup shotguns. I have always liked the design of bullpup rifles but I never thought I would own one. I now own both a rifle and a shotgun. I have the Kelt-Tec RDB and KSG. I am about to buy a Tavor SAR (maybe an X95 down the road). I really like how compact they are and how easy they are to move around inside my house.

I was wondering if anyone has looked at their old shotguns and thought, I should just leave the platform and go with a bullpup shotgun of some sort. Have you thought that way?

The advantages of a bullpup design is really great but the reliability of a more traditional shotgun is also a great advantage. I'm kind of leaning towards buying another bullpup shotgun to replace my Mossberg 500 Persuader. I'm thinking of going with a KS-7. The voice in the back of my head is screaming, don't get rid of that old shotgun, keep it, but there is a louder voice telling me its out dated and no longer needed.

So, tell me how you guys feel about the traditional shotgun platform over a bullpup design.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
As someone who has taken a bullpup as my main go to rifle now (AUG) - after having ran it through various trainings and classes, you are 100% correct in your assessment of the advantages.  Inside a house or a car, it is stellar.

I think you already nailed the high points of the tried and true standard design - reliability (proven), "standard" manual of arms that many folks are used to.  The bullpup is a fantastic design if you train with it and run it a lot.  The downside is that someone without any experience on one (AUG, TAVOR, KSG, RDB, etc.), will be lost with standard functions.  The old designs are still around for a reason.  Potentially outdated but very functional.
My wife - prime example.  Excellent shot, grew up shooting clays and deer.  She could grab her AR or any Mossberg or 870 and run it easily.  If I gave her my KSG, we will be shit out of luck.
Another example - first time I shot a Tavor (being an AUG shooter), I had a bitch of a time even getting the bolt release location to stick since that was my standard AUG mag release.

I vote keep the Persuader and train with the KSG and live a happy life.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Always wanted one of these since I saw it in a Numrich catalog back when I was in high school.

Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a KSG this year after 4 decades of 870, 500, 590, 1300 and I don’t plan to go back in fact I plan to add another or KS7. Super handy and runs 1.75” without modifications.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a KSG, x95, and PS90. Love all three of them. Especially the x95 and PS90. Of all the fire arms i owne they are by far my favorite for multiple reasons.

There is a little advantage to shooting clays or birds with a longer barreled shotgun. I have tried clays with my KSG and its totally doable but its just easier with a longer barreled shotgun. You also have the + that mossber 500 or what ever brand are cheap and there are lots of spare parts. Another + is the moss 500 is supper easy to use...

Aside from that the KSG and KS7 have some Huge advantages over the old style pumps. I own one pump moss 500. Will probably never buy another. I may pick up a ks7 or some other bullpup some time. But Im pretty happy with the above three that i already have.

Side note: if your considering a x95 or ps90 don't hesitant to get either one ;-)
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Great responses here. I wonder if there will ever come a time that older shotguns will be fazed out and bullpup's take over? It seems that the military is may be looking at a bullpup for the future. I can see where it would take some training to learn it and run it efficiently and effectively. I'm retraining my brain from old style shotguns to the bullpup and from using AK's and AR's to bullpups. Its interesting to get everyone's take on things. A lot of great post here. Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a KSG, x95, and PS90. Love all three of them. Especially the x95 and PS90. Of all the fire arms i owne they are by far my favorite for multiple reasons.

There is a little advantage to shooting clays or birds with a longer barreled shotgun. I have tried clays with my KSG and its totally doable but its just easier with a longer barreled shotgun. You also have the + that mossber 500 or what ever brand are cheap and there are lots of spare parts. Another + is the moss 500 is supper easy to use...

Aside from that the KSG and KS7 have some Huge advantages over the old style pumps. I own one pump moss 500. Will probably never buy another. I may pick up a ks7 or some other bullpup some time. But Im pretty happy with the above three that i already have.

Side note: if your considering a x95 or ps90 don't hesitant to get either one ;-)
View Quote
I really want a x95 but the price tag is keeping me from it. I found a used one for $1499.99 plus shipping and FFL fee and I'm less than a $150.00 from having a new one and a warranty. I did find a Tavor SAR that is in my budget and it will allow me to save jut enough to add a KS7 to my collection. I'm just not sure if I should get the SAR or go x95. Maybe that is another thread I need to start and ask those questions.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol no. Mossberg 590 for this troop when chips are down. Any “advantage” a bullpup shotgun has is outweighed by lousy ergos and having to relearn 30 years of muscle memory. No thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Not just no, but hell no.

I’ll take a beat to shit 870p any day.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Love my AUG, but I have no love for a BullPup shotgun. They are like a 4x4 with a grip and trigger, they feel horrible
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
For me, I love my Panzer Arms BP-12.  It's a fun shotgun with a lot of potential and being a semi auto and magazine fed, I can transition to it easily from my other bullpups without much issue.  However, if it was a choice between the bullpup shotgun and my Benelli SuperNova Tactical for a crisis situation, I'd go with the Benelli every time for a couple reasons...

1.  It will cycle any sized shell I put in the tube without a problem from the mini-shells all the way up to 3.5" shells.
2.  I have more time behind its trigger than I do the BP-12 (though this will hopefully change)
3.  Confidence.  I have more confidence in my Benelli - not just reliability, but durability and should I need spares, I have a better chance of finding them than I do an odd-ball import.

For me, I have no interest in the Tavor 12, I think it's something that looked good on paper but it anything with that magazine system isn't one I'm comfortable depending on.

Anyway, YMMV
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Like the user above, I love my AUG.  I got to shoot the new IWI Tavor TS12 the other day.  The action was super smooth, and the gun was fun to shoot but it felt very clunky.  It also jammed quite a bit, but I'll chalk that up to it needing to be broken in.  Shotguns tend to seem pickier about ammo more-so than most other guns when not broken in.  I think it would work pretty well as a defensive shotgun.  And for the price it isn't bad at all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I really want a x95 but the price tag is keeping me from it. I found a used one for $1499.99 plus shipping and FFL fee and I'm less than a $150.00 from having a new one and a warranty. I did find a Tavor SAR that is in my budget and it will allow me to save jut enough to add a KS7 to my collection. I'm just not sure if I should get the SAR or go x95. Maybe that is another thread I need to start and ask those questions.
View Quote
There is almost always x95 16" FDE & black 5.56 on gunbroker for 1400 - 1450
https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firearms/search?Keywords=x95&PageSize=24&Sort=4&View=2&Condition=1

I think I got mine for x95 for $1450 with no CC fees & pretty low shipping if i remember right. You watch it for a while and they will show up. You have to sort through all the pages to find them. Dont just assume the 1750 ones on the 1st page are all there is. lol

The PS90 is hard to find below $1350-1400 on gunbroker. If your VERY patient you can snag one for $1250-1300. But expert to watch it for a 6-12 months to get one at that price. $1350 is a good price for it.  
https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firearms/search?Keywords=PS90&PageSize=24&Sort=4&View=2&Condition=1

I got my PS90 form sportsmans.com for $1350 - $50 for something.. so it was $1300. No shipping or CC fees. Just a small background check in store.
The inventory on PS90's goes in waves as then get shipping into the us in batches. When a new batch of guns arrives the prices drop.

Make sure you watch gun.deals
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is almost always x95 16" FDE & black 5.56 on gunbroker for 1400 - 1450
https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firearms/search?Keywords=x95&PageSize=24&Sort=4&View=2&Condition=1

I think I got mine for x95 for $1450 with no CC fees & pretty low shipping if i remember right. You watch it for a while and they will show up. You have to sort through all the pages to find them. Dont just assume the 1750 ones on the 1st page are all there is. lol

The PS90 is hard to find below $1350-1400 on gunbroker. If your VERY patient you can snag one for $1250-1300. But expert to watch it for a 6-12 months to get one at that price. $1350 is a good price for it.  
https://www.gunbroker.com/Guns-Firearms/search?Keywords=PS90&PageSize=24&Sort=4&View=2&Condition=1

I got my PS90 form sportsmans.com for $1350 - $50 for something.. so it was $1300. No shipping or CC fees. Just a small background check in store.
The inventory on PS90's goes in waves as then get shipping into the us in batches. When a new batch of guns arrives the prices drop.

Make sure you watch gun.deals
View Quote
I have been watching a few of the SAR's and X95's right now. One is right in my range but 21 bids so at the last minute it will be $1500 or more. I did just buy a used SAR and I am going to enjoy that. I have always wanted one but could never afford it.

Now, the shotguns. I'm sitting here in my home office and in the corner is my old 500. I guess it wont be going anywhere any time soon. I may pick up the KS-7 this week. Or put a down payment on one and wait for it to come in.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Palmetto State has the 18" SAR on sale for $1250.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Palmetto State has the 18" SAR on sale for $1250.
View Quote
Thanks! I just picked up a SAR 16" barrel and I'm waiting to fill out my FFL paperwork. I should have it home this coming week. That is a great deal at PSA.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been looking at one of these
https://www.blackacestactical.com/
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Always wanted one of these since I saw it in a Numrich catalog back when I was in high school.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/08/27/534365_01_mossberg_500_bullpup_12_gage_h_640.jpg
View Quote
I had one of these late 1980s vintage Mossberg 500 bullpups for 15 years. I sold it last year to a co-worker. You're not missing much. Heavy, clunky, and horrible sights, but it sure looked cool. My KSG takes care of my bullpup shotgun itch these days.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/08/27/534365_01_mossberg_500_bullpup_12_gage_h_640.jpg
View Quote
Bought one about 15-20 years ago... as an 80’s kid I had to.

Shot it twice since I think but I can’t part with it.

The factory bullpup 500 is solid but the sights are coarse... front blade is easily 3/8” wide and it’s only sight radius is that carry handle.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been looking at one of these
https://www.blackacestactical.com/
View Quote
Is that a rebranded panzer arms bullpup shotgun?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I've used an 870 for work for 20yrs, hunted with them & Mossbergs my whole life and have a couple of each but a KSG is my home defense weapon along with an X-95.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been debating getting either a KS7 or Bullpup Unlimited kit for an 870 or 500. Honestly I'm stuck solid and can't make a decision between the three.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been debating getting either a KS7 or Bullpup Unlimited kit for an 870 or 500. Honestly I'm stuck solid and can't make a decision between the three.
View Quote
I'm going to be picking up a KS7 at some point very soon. I have the KSG and I really like it. The KS7 would fill the same role. I'm reading and seeing (various Facebook and online post) that the issues Kel-Tec had in the beginning with the KS7 have been worked out. Putting mini shells in the KS7 is ideal for home defense. You get the same amount of rounds as a KSG with standard size shells.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#23]
In many regards, I love bullpups. Shotgun, rifle, the bullpup format is better for a lot of applications. Waterfowl or game bird hunting, not so much. When a bird is on the wing, I prefer having extra barrel to swing.

I don't just mean the barrel length either. It's the momentum that comes with the balance, as well as having the front bead further out in front of me. Tracking duck, duck, goose in flight just feels smoother and more natural with the traditional format. Anything else, though, to include shotgun hunting of flightless critters, I do prefer the bullpups.

I am VERY anxiously waiting for IWI to release a TS12 in something other than basic black.

EDIT: I also have an old fashion coach gun. Side-by-side, 12ga, case hardened, with external hammers - I could never part with it. Ever. It is just a thing of beauty. A piece of functional art.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
If I can sell mine, I may. The KS7 is a good price, a good weight, and short. My current traditional shotgun has an 18" barrel, and is an inch or two longer than my 16" AR10 with the stock set to my happy place. The KS7 is a few pounds less than either one, and a foot shorter - and a short range gun ought to be short. It would serve my current shotgun use - small game hunting - and be a decent camping gun as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:45:48 AM EDT
[#25]
A bullpup shotgun offers zero advantages for hunting or clay sports.

My guess is there are probably 100000:1 rounds fired from normal shotguns:bullpups.

Of the 1.2 million shotguns sold in 2016, less than 30k were bullpups (keltec).
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A bullpup shotgun offers zero advantages for hunting or clay sports.
View Quote
I would think it depends on where you're hunting for this to be a valid statement.  Here in rural PA, if you're small game hunting you could be dealing with a good bit of thickets, small trees, and other foliage that would make a shotgun with a traditional length barrel somewhat cumbersome.  A bullpup, with a shorter overall length, would help avoid that issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I've taken my KSG dove hunting and had a blast with it. Took out more birds due to the UH-1 I had on it, and I didn't have any issues with having a shorter barrel.
I'd also probably take my KSG bear hunting if I ever opted to do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top