Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 11/13/2017 9:23:44 PM EDT
If a fired api,  apit, spotter tracer,  or other bullet doesn't go off when it hits. The back stop. Does it pose any danger latter on
Like a farmer plow hits it or someone hits it with a Shovel or finds one and played with it?

What does it take to. Set them off?   If one drops on concrete  will it go. Off?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If a fired api,  apit, spotter tracer,  or other bullet doesn't go off when it hits. The back stop. Does it pose any danger latter on
Like a farmer plow hits it or someone hits it with a Shovel or finds one and played with it?

What does it take to. Set them off?   If one drops on concrete  will it go. Off?
View Quote

API, APITs, and blue tips, probably not any danger, though I wouldn't go shooting them into farmers fields. Some of the older spotting tracer rounds have a primer in the nose that could potentially set the round off if struck by something like that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two places I can shoot at. 1 is a private field that gives me almost 1000 yards and at the end of the field is a very large stand of trees and a hill. The other place is a 100 yard public range dig out of an old rock pit. This range ends in a dirt wall.

I have shit lot of api rounds on both ranges and have not had a single one go off. However I did shoot a 1" steel plate on my hunting lease and it did go off.

I am wondering if on the public range the ones that didn't go off when hit the dirt  would go off if another bullet should hit them or if someone was digging or pounding a target stand latter on

With the field I wonder if they ever decide to cot the trees and plow the land or doing something else latter on and hit some the 100s of bullets that are out in the woods if they would go off and harm someone.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Also thinking
I have several hundred pulled api, apit s/t, and incendiary bullets stored in ammo cans and cardboard box.

How would they react in a house fire?

Or if some drunk person should toss one or more in a bon fire.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top