Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2021 6:55:11 PM EDT
These came from a few 7.62 NATO rounds l pulled down the other day.  US manufactured with primer crimps intact.  Heavily corroded cases so the only thing worth same was the bullets.  The powder was a fine ball very similar in appearance to WW748  or BLC-2.

You can barely make out as ring on the hanging bullet so that was the only reason l thought to test them.  All are very magnetic but since the one is hanging I'm guessing steel jacketed instead of real ap?

147 grain.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
M80?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably.  I just didn't think US made utilized steel jackets.  

Can't say was wasn't hoping for 7.62 AP though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Copper washed steel cases?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Evidently.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Gilding metal clad steel jackets. The US stopped manufacturing M-61 AP a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Copper clad steel jackets were an "alternate standard" bullet for M80.  I read somewhere that up to half of some years' M80 production had these "bimetal" bullets.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gilding metal clad steel jackets. The US stopped manufacturing M-61 AP a long time ago.
View Quote

A coworker gave me a zip lock baggie with 19 rounds nearly 20 years ago.  He found then under his trailer house. I knew then they were only worth the bullet.  I just recently found them again.

I was hoping....
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Cut one open and see if the core is steel - only way to be sure.

I use a .30 and .50 core for a pin punch to dimple metal before drilling. Handy to have in the drill bit box.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I use a .30 and .50 core for a pin punch to dimple metal before drilling. Handy to have in the drill bit box.

View Quote

U.S. M-61 AP projectiles have a French (smooth) crimping cannelure unlike the knurled ones in the OP with a knurled identification cannelure above that . No need to cut one open.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

U.S. M-61 AP projectiles have a French (smooth) crimping cannelure unlike the knurled ones in the OP with a knurled identification cannelure above that . No need to cut one open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats good to know!  Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top