Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2020 10:18:31 AM EDT
Hi Everyone!
For years,i have been loading 223 ammo, seems no matter how careful i was i would always get my reloaded ammo mixed up.
Tracers mixed with regular ammo, 55gr mixed with 62gr etc.
Over the years,  i have seen and purchased pulldown bullets that were painted at the tips, like some tracer bullets,  but most of the paint was nearly worn off the bullet tips.  
I always wished there was a economical way of repainting the bullet tips.
I had these thoughts many years ago, but because of working and just dealing with daily life,i never really concidered solving this bullet tip identification delima.  
Now that im retired,  I've had plenty of time to revisit this subject.
Since retiring, i decided to purchase a milling machine and convert it to CNC (computer operated) operation , easy for me to do since i have been a machinist / parts inspector for 34 years. I've  spent the last 20 years in the pacific northwest in the aero space industry.
I have developed and tested a bullet tip painting Fixture for 223 and 300 blackout,  very easy-to-use and priced under $40 per caliber .
I just wanted to post this to see if there was an interest.
I've  emailed the ar15  administrators to see what i need to do to be a appproved vendor on ar15.com
I would appreciate your  member imput .
Im not posting my product website or emails  until i clear and settle the requirements from forum administrators
Thank you David Burdick
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
David, more info would be valuable.
How many rounds at a time?
Can the units be "ganged" to increase capacity?
Many thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not have a pan of paint of said color.

Mill a fixture to hold 50 loaded rounds at a time with the bullets pointed down. Figure out height spacing and dip and load and repeat?

It can't be that hard. Especially with a CNC, some dial calipers, and a few pieces of aluminum block.

Then make a bunch of holders to hold the trays of bullets to dry.

Or make a fixture to hold them right side up and set it down on fifty and spray paint them?

Easy ways here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi  Everyone
Im working on my website now, it will have all pertinent info there soon,  but quickly the fixture holds 25 fully loaded cartridges,  there is a base plate and a top plate ,  liad cartridges into the base plate, then place top plate over the top of the bullet tips, this gives a flat surface that exposes the tips of the bullets.
Using spray paint, just spray the exposed tips for perfect paint coverage.  Lift off the top plate and remove  cartridges  from the base plate
The fixture is made of 6061 aircraft grade aluminum.
I designed paint fixtures for 223 as well as the 300 blackout , more calibers coming very soon
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#5]
What a great idea!

Hope to see you at a SAR SHOW https://smallarmsreview.com/ next year selling your stuff.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
loading block to hold the rounds. piece of plastic with holes cut to expose tips while covering everything else. Can of appropriate color spray paint. Done.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#7]
MTM ammo box + Avery label (or 3X5 index card) + Sharpie Marker

If it was to mark the brass for easy recovery during a brass call,... maybe but it would still have to be better than a simple, inexpensive, effective Sharpie marker.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought Billy Bullets many years ago. Still have several boxes. Any connection?

I agree that for reloaders, marking the cases would be more valuable than marking bullets.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi
No , no connection to billy bullet from years ago
Marking cases as a option is in the works, coming soon!
Thank you David Burdick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top