Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2020 2:17:32 PM EDT
An FAL jigsaw puzzle?

Going through some gun stuff and I found my box of left over parts from some previous FAL builds (built 5 complete rifles).

Wondering if anyone here has built a complete rifle from mixed leftover parts?

I know PSA has Israeli kits for $299 and I am going to order one of those also. Besides the upper receiver, I would have to buy one of those regardless.

Here’s a list of the parts I have:
21” barrel assembly with complete gas system and Carry Handle
Stripped 16” barrel (US Made)
Bolt carrier with tail
Plastic unlined forearms (US Made)
DSA railed dust cover (US Made)
Butt stock complete
Pistol grip complete (US Made)
Lower with complete rear sight only
Charging handle complete from kit
Flash hider standard FAL
3-4 Locking Shoulders (haven’t mic’ed)

Here’s a list of the parts I know I need:
Complete Bolt
Complete Trigger Group
Magazine Catch/Release Parts
Bolt Hold Open and Parts

What parts am I missing?

Forgot to add I know I need to swap out some US parts, I’m figuring I could do that with some of the parts I need to buy like the trigger group.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm doing that right now. After watching a very nice 1961 dated StG58 barrel for sale sit with no takers for a few days, I looked at my spares and saw I had most everything else to complete a StG build. I had a lower with matching bolt and carrier. All I needed was that barrel, an upper receiver and a few small parts. Bought the barrel, ordered a type 1 receiver from DSA and now the barrel, upper, and bolt and carrier are at the smith waiting to be put together.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm doing that right now. After watching a very nice 1961 dated StG58 barrel for sale sit with no takers for a few days, I looked at my spares and saw I had most everything else to complete a StG build. I had a lower with matching bolt and carrier. All I needed was that barrel, an upper receiver and a few small parts. Bought the barrel, ordered a type 1 receiver from DSA and now the barrel, upper, and bolt and carrier are at the smith waiting to be put together.
View Quote

Knew I couldn’t be the only one with a box of parts that didn’t add up to a complete kit.
I’m going to start looking out for the parts I need since buying the receiver is going to have to wait until the end of September.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I get the urge to build another one every now & then and I should have enough parts to do another build except maybe a USA hammer, trigger and sear. I still have a virgin Coonan receiver in the safe that I can't decide what to do with. I've built on 2 other Coonan's and other than needing a larger that "normal" locking shoulders they have worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:17:40 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as I want an FAL since I had to sell the 5 I built, I have no urge to buy a complete rifle.
I want the satisfaction of building it myself and funds to buy a complete kit and a receiver just aren’t available right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top