Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 11/13/2018 1:56:13 AM EDT
It occurred to me that one config I don’t have for my RLL is a LMG type config with a bipod. I’d love to have a Colt LMG or Shrike upper but it isn’t in the cards $ wise right now. I’ve also heard Blachthorn made a LMG upper clone that should be avoided. Because of this Ive decided (if possible) to build (at a lower cost) or buy something that has some of the qualities of the Shrike/LMG. This includes it is heavier than your average upper, is able to use a bipod, and is more capable than a standard configured M16 of withstanding mag dumps . I understand that things like swappable barrels aren’t realistic so there will definitely be limitations. Is there something I could build or buy that would check these boxes?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Only thing I can think of that would be less expensive than a Shrike or MCR (Shrike without the beltfeed), and cheaper than an LMG upper, but still actually useful, would be a super-heavy bull barrel upper and some cheap square handguards.

Super-HBAR to soak up some mag dump heat, square handguards for style. Add a bipod to complete the look and give you someplace to rest the weight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
good chance to give a new life to those HBAR uppers
I think you can get them for cheap since they're not tacticool
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I had saved the money to buy a MCR and at the last minute changed my mind and used the money to buy an M11 instead.

So to fill that LMG roll I bought a cheap upper during one of PSA holiday sales, picked up a 100 round drum mag, and some UTG BUIS (actually pretty good quality). The m16 BCG and bipod were sitting in my parts bin. (See video below)

I am planning to rebuild the upper at some point, next time I will go with a quad rail as parts tend to shake loose on the keymod rail and I will go with a 16" heavy barrel instead of the 10.5" medium contour to absorb more heat, reduce recoil by adding more weight to the rifle, and reduce the concussion you get out of that short barrel. Also I will go with a Magpul D60, they are more reliable, easier to load and less awkward to hold than the 100 rounds twin drum mags.

Its not as fun as lining up a belt and slapping the top cover down on an MCR, but for the price its hard to beat. You can literally build an entire upper including sights, bipod, drum mag, etc....for less than the price of a spare MCR barrel! I typically only use it for new shooters who want to do mag dumps. It allows them to securely sit or lay down behind the gun and they can burn through mags and abuse the upper and I don't care because I can swap out the barrel for under $100 if I have to.
M16 full auto with muzzle break
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys thanks for all the advice. Is there a recommendation for a more robust gas tube to use? I think the Colt LMG upper used a specific gas tube that is more tolerant of sustained FA fire. Does anything like this currently exist on the market?

By the way, now that the Colt LMG uppers are going for so much money and binary triggers and bump stocks are so prolific, I would imagine that there is a market for a $500 to $800 upper like this (for people with m16's, bump stocks,  binary triggers, etc.) that uses mostly all off the shelf parts to keep costs down, with maybe a couple unique parts.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a recommendation for a more robust gas tube to use?
View Quote
1/4" ss non seam tubing from mcmaster carr (get the high temp stuff)

turn down on both ends to fit

I had these built a long time ago for a m16 but never really used them as I got into beltfeds
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
There are also inconel gas tubes available, but they are fairly pricey:

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/v7-extreme-environment-gas-tube/
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top