Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2020 8:22:25 PM EDT
Is there any significant difference in buffer springs that have different colors?

I have some that are shiny almost chrome or nickle looking (maybe chrome silicon)?  I have some that have an almost annealed/bronze like color. Others have a dark like oxide or park'd look.

What the heck is the deal?  Oh and then there is the whole flat wire thing but I really just want to address what the color differences could mean.

Do these colors indicate, metal composition, type of metal etc?

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the standard material is 17-7 stainless steel.  I'm not sure what the raw wire looks like (because I've never seen it), but at some point it was solution treated from about 1,750 degrees F.  It may have developed some scale I'd it was exposed to the atmosphere while it was above 1,000 degrees or so.  Then it was aged at probablt 950 degrees F, which may have also formed some scale.

The shiny ones may have been heat treated in a neutral atmosphere,  vacuum, or shot-peened afterwards.

I always thought the yellowish ones were plated in a zinc-chromate, but don't quote me on that.  

I thought the deliberately-colored ones (red or blue) had some significance attached to the colors - different spring rates maybe.  If you have calipers, see if you can check the wire diameter.  A larger diametet would increase the spring rate,  all other things being equal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Color wise... manufacturers use different coatings on their finished products. Corrosion resistant , less friction.. etc

JP
Precision centerless ground and polished operating springs offer a smoother and quieter operation in AR buffer tubes.

Damage Industries.... NOTE:
Our Chrome Silicon Recoil Springs are packaged with an anti-corrosion compound which can appear reddish/brown or orange. You do not need to remove it but if you wish to, apply heavy oil and wipe clean.

LaRue Tactical....
Plated with deep penetrating re-micronized moly-disulfide formulation

Sprinco
We also treat each spring with a proprietary, deep-penetrating, Re-Micronized (to .3 Micron particle size), inhibited, Molybdenum-Disulfide (MoS2) formulation to eliminate 90% of all mechanical wear on the spring.
It is this extraordinary capability that makes Chrome Silicon wire the obvious choice in our spring production vs. music wire or 17-7 PH used in OEM springs and by most aftermarket competitors.

Kaw Valley Precision
KVP passivate finish’s all our 17-4 Stainless Steel CAR recoil springs to protect them in even the harshest of environments.

IMHO, the bigger thing to consider is, what material the spring is made of.... then consider the protective finish used.

While mil-spec is gtg... there have been improvements in the material used by some manufacturers.

I prefer Chrome Silicon.... some prefer SS for improved resilience against harsh envirowments

View Quote

I was hoping that "17-4" was a typo, so I checked Kaw Valley Precisions website, and am saddened by the lack of metallurgical knowledge amongst gun manufacturers.   17-4 experiences about a 55% drop in impact toughness starting at about room temperature to about 0 degrees F.  It drops further still upon further cooling, but it's too depressing for me to think about.

Please dont use a 17-4 spring unless you live in a tropical environment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top