Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2020 10:14:57 AM EDT
I’ve always wanted a Winchester 94. I was scrolling armslist and found this one for $400 which I just couldn’t pass up. It is in absolute pristine condition as the other original owner was the father of the guy I bought it from and it was only shot once then kept in a safe.I know little about Winchester rifles and would appreciate any information y’all can provide. From my research I know that it’s a buffalo bill commentators with a 26” octagonal barrel. I don’t know anything about this type of receiver bluing either.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard the collectors market for the commemoratives is really down and they are not worth nearly what they were back when they were made.

However I would have snatched that up in a heartbeat for $400!

Is in 30 WCF (30-30 Win)?

I know the Crazy Horse one is 38-55 and the John Wayne one is 32-40.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have heard the collectors market for the commemoratives is really down and they are not worth nearly what they were back when they were made.

View Quote

It is in 30 WCF. I couldn’t imagine selling it. For $400 I’ll just keep it forever
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweet find for $400, I was thinking they are priced at about three times that. I did attend a couple gun shows this year and seen a couple priced between $1200 and $1400. But gun show prices are generally BS.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Why is the collector market so low right now?  Is there a logical reason for this? I have read on different occasion's here on this site that the standard models are worth more than the commemoratives.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
They generally sell for around 600 to 800, never saw a Bill with that type of receiver finish.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They generally sell for around 600 to 800, never saw a Bill with that type of receiver finish.
View Quote

I was told it’s the original finish and was only taken out a couple of times, but after all my research I doubt that Winchester made just a handful of Bill’s with a different receiver finish. That’s armslist though. I’m store more than happy to have a good looking 94
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I find it hard to believe that the commemoratives are worth less than back when they were made simply because I have a Winchester Canadian Centennial commemorative I bought in 1971 and paid something like $100 for.  I doubt one could buy a trigger for one for $100 these days.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I find it hard to believe that the commemoratives are worth less than back when they were made simply because I have a Winchester Canadian Centennial commemorative I bought in 1971 and paid something like $100 for.  I doubt one could buy a trigger for one for $100 these days.
View Quote

So now adjust that 1971 $100 dollars for inflation, so about $640 dollars today using online sources.

As far as I can tell, there weren't any commemoratives pre 1964. I agree it is a pretty rifle and think $400 is a good price for it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why is the collector market so low right now?  Is there a logical reason for this? I have read on different occasion's here on this site that the standard models are worth more than the commemoratives.
View Quote
With regards to "collector's grade" 94's, its mainly two reasons.  First, the majority of these guns are all post '64 actions, which are the least desirable of all the Winchester 94 rifles.  In fact, the only real desirable post '64 rifles are those in oddball calibers, the XTR's, Trapper models, and angle ejects (to some extent).  Second, there was an absolute ass-ton of these guns made commemorating damn near everything you could imagine, so they're not all that exclusive or difficult to find.  Factor in the market for these guns gets smaller by the day, and its easy to understand why they sell so cheaply.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#10]
There is also the Buffalo Bill carbine, with a 20 inch octagon barrel. That’s not the original finish on the receiver, but like you said $400 for a Model 94 is a steal, especially one with an octagon barrel.

I bought a Buffalo Bill carbine for my youngest son when he was still in diapers (he’s 33 now). It’s a very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#11]
For $400 I'll take 2.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, ignore the naysayers.  

That is a nice looking rife with a unique and good looking finish.  It might be the best-looking commemorative I've seen.  

I'd buy a standard rifle with that finish.  

At only $400, you got one sweet deal !
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, ignore the naysayers.  

That is a nice looking rife with a unique and good looking finish.  It might be the best-looking commemorative I've seen.  

I'd buy a standard rifle with that finish.  

At only $400, you got one sweet deal !
View Quote

Thanks man, I’m definitely happy with it. It’s everything I wanted. Only thing now is I want a uberti cattleman ii to go with it.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice looking rifle even if the finish isn't original. Around here a standard model 94 will cost slightly more than $400 so I think you did good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice looking rifle
Geez, I miss my Daisy Buffalo Bill Scout BB gun that I had as kid.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Look at the collectors when this rifle was made and how many more collectors now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't get me wrong, I would have absolutely bought it for $400.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I collect the comm Winchesters and have several Bills.  Your rifle looks better than mine with the CC finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top