Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2018 11:15:53 PM EDT
Picked up a gamo whisper for my sons 11 birthday. Gun shoots well but the scope is junk. Any decent scopes under $100 for him to shoot cans in the back yard with? Maybe try for a rabbit with it this fall. I know nothing about air rifles will a regular scope for like a .22 work?
Thank you for any help
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the details at hand, and I'm not an expert, but there have been several threads/posts on here about riflescopes being built for the 'shock' of powder actuated projectile weapons being inappropriate for air rifles (for example) because the impulse is in the opposite direction.

Like I said, I don't have the details, and it never was an issue I was associated with, but I'd look at satisfying that issue as part of my shopping for a scope.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My Simmons 22 mag actually held up to Springer use pretty well. It's a basic scope, no frills, but clear glass.

I have a UTG Bugbuster on a CO2 gun that is awesome. Mil dot, adjustable parallax, 3x9. Was about $70 but isn't rated for Springer use.

I'd go to pyramid air and pick something within your budget. I will tell you that in my Springer I spent like $40 on a super heavy duty scope ring set up. Cheap rings will not work well on a springer- I'm a tight ass and even I broke down and spent a little on a scope mount.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh the mystery world of airgun scopes....
Spring guns and pcp/pump guns are different
Only spring guns need special consideration
And that's where the mystery starts
There's so many BS brands and models and reports out there I don't know what to say, and I don't know much anyway.
Search yT for Joe Rhea or cyclops or best AG scopes....at least he says what he thinks, but I don't know hiow long any of the scopes he likes would actually live.
I have a cheap Hawk on a Diana 34 that seems to be holding up
Even a UTG on a Parrus too
But I run NF on my real guns, and both of these are absolute garbage compared to those.
Hopefully someone who's also gone down this mystery road will chime in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Simmons 22 Mag 4x on a Daisy 853. For $29, I was shocked at how good it is- and I have a fixed 4x Elcan to compare it to .  Bright, clear, lots of eye relief, and huge eyebox. 4x is perfect for plinking and being fixed power will make it more durable.  I have no doubts that it will hold up on the 853; not sure about your Gamo. At $29 (including rings), it isn't much of a risk.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The lower end Hawke scopes are quite nice for the price and are springer rated. I have both low and high end Hawkes and have had zero complaints. Haven't checked in a few years but pricing should be in line with your budget.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can spend a bit more (like $130), get a Hawke Vantage.
No gimmicks like a 36 color illuminated reticle and the optics are noticeably better than UTGs.

I bought one of these on a whim and it's not bad:
Tasco Varmint

Glass is similar to UTG (that is, not great) but no batteries or gimmicks and less weight
I have it on a 15 ftlb. springer - remains to be seen how well/long it will hold up.
Supposedly has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Crosman owns Center Point scopes and they are supposed to have airgun rated models. I have one I bought at Walmart for $70 on a 17 HMR and it’s been GTG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top