Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2018 8:15:14 AM EDT
Looking for a <$450 budget 6.5CM hunting rifle. Plan is to spend the minimum up front, and improve things like trigger/stock in the future as funds and interest allows.

So far I'm looking at the Savage Axis II, Mossberg Patriot, Thompson Center Compass, and for a little more the Howa 1500. Not interested in Rugers.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Savage. Interested on hearing opinions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak to the 6.5, but I have a Savage FCP-K .308. I opened the box, but a $350 scope on and use it to kill deer in the woods. Oh, and I shoot steel targets from time to time. It does exactly what I want and between the rifle, scope, rings, I'm into it for less than $1,000.

I really like Savage, but I'm an "out-of-the-box" kind of guy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You may want to research the Weatherby Vanguard line. A Howa action in a Weatherby stock. I have hunted with the Vanguard and really like the feel of the grip stock and trigger. It should be available for under 500.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Compass all the way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a 6.5 heavy barrel axis 2 last christmas. Camo stock package gun from wally world with a $100 rebate. It is accurate. The accutrigger on the savage rifles is hard to beat for standard equipment. Scope is garbage bushnell. If you want higher quality glass, the TC compass comes with a Vortex scope.

Now since then I've developed the desire to do bottom metal so I'm looking at spending another $300 for a boyds stock and bottom metal. For the total investment I could have gotten a Ruger American with AICS mags. Do I regret it...ehhh...sorta but no...I like Savage but it would have been a hard choice.

It's hard to go wrong with the new bargain rifles. My son's Mossy Patriot has their accutrigger knock-off and it is also a tac driver. The are all gtg. They all are light. The stocks all feel a little cheap. Almost all have some aftermarket support.

Savage...great trigger, easy barrel swap

Ruger...threaded barrel, not sure about the trigger and costs a little more I believe.

Thomson compass....not as much after market support, advertised as under moa (but I think they will all shoot that well)

Mossberg rifles...great trigger, easy barrel swap (uses savage pattern barrels), finish is a little weak in damp conditions

When I was looking, I would have jumped on the mossberg predator since it takes AR 308 mags but I didn't see one in 6.5 at the time. I believe the 6.5s are out there now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow the reviews on the Mossberg are pretty good. Seems like the detractors are only complaining about the plastic pillars and mag/well.

The local Academy has all these plus the Weatherby; I think I need to go shopping.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been completely happy with my Ruger American.  Honestly just about any of them will work.  All of the companies have the budget bolt gun figured out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
For the price and what you listed I would only look at Howa and TC compass.

It’s based on personal preference after handling and shooting those rifles but in other calibers. Savage makes solid rifles just I don’t care for them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the price and what you listed I would only look at Howa and TC compass.

It’s based on personal preference after handling and shooting those rifles but in other calibers. Savage makes solid rifles just I don’t care for them.
View Quote
Curious why? The more I look at options like stocks and bottom metal upgrades, the Howa and Savage seems to have more aftermarket so there is that. The Weatherby Vanguard looks like it it has a 1MOA guarantee too, and benefits from the Howa accessory pool.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My Compass cost me $197 brand new, after rebate, and it is indeed a sub-MOA rifle.

Here is my archived review from last fall:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/A-sub-MOA-rifle-for-less-than-the-price-of-a-HiPoint-40-UPDATE-sub-MOA-achieved-pics-on-p-3/5-2047837/

While mine is 300 Win Mag (and sub MOA), every review I have read of the 6.5 Creemoor Compass have been easily sub MOA too.

Mine is bone stock.

Available upgrades include:

Boyd's wood aftermarket stocks,

Trigger kits (stock trigger is darn good & adjustable)

Scope bases to accommodate Picatiney rings

Bolt handles,

Etc.

Plus, it comes standard with a concentric threaded muzzle for "suppressor"/silencer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Curious why? The more I look at options like stocks and bottom metal upgrades, the Howa and Savage seems to have more aftermarket so there is that. The Weatherby Vanguard looks like it it has a 1MOA guarantee too, and benefits from the Howa accessory pool.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with the savage but when cycling the bolt it feels sloppier (if I had to chose a word) to me than the others mentioned.  But as far as results the savage is towards the top.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#11]
When shopping for a budget gun, the aftermarket doesn't mean much to me.  I'm trying to save money opposed to building a more expensive rifle one piece at a time.

My advice is check out the TC Compass.  It's a great out of the box shooter with a great price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top