Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2023 12:41:06 PM EDT
I have a SiOnyx set up on a helmet, and I know it’s not tier 1. I’m also not tier 1 so not trying to spend a fortune, just make what I have a bit more usable. Want to try shooting a bit and see if it’s worth going with a PVS14 or similar.

The TRL VIR still the best option for laser and illuminator? Not looking for anything amazing past ~50 yards or so.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with a Holosun LS117 IR and an Inforce WML white/IR as the bare minimum entry point. Actually a highly functional setup for urban / suburban / CQ
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Vir2 is my preferred budget compact ir illuminator and laser on the market if you don't need longer range illumination (ie a short 300blk or pcc). Especially if you want to be able to have the white light option on the same gun with limited space.

However, I've heard rumors of a lens cap coming to market for it that would allow you to focus the ir and punch out further. With that setup, it would probably be my go to choice for SBRs in general.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vir2 is my preferred budget compact ir illuminator and laser on the market if you don't need longer range illumination (ie a short 300blk or pcc). Especially if you want to be able to have the white light option on the same gun with limited space.

However, I've heard rumors of a lens cap coming to market for it that would allow you to focus the ir and punch out further. With that setup, it would probably be my go to choice for SBRs in general.
View Quote

@Daggertt as I know you are a man of exquisite taste, I would put it on my Rattler SBR
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Daggertt as I know you are a man of exquisite taste, I would put it on my Rattler SBR
View Quote
I suspected as much.

I really like the design. It's slim and i like the selector switch.

I have a couple of the older IR-only eye safe TLRs that have a lot better throw but the laser is external and make the whole unit bulky.

I really wish they would change the reflector or whatever to give the vir2 better throw. At least as good as the surefire x300v (which also has a bulky external later).

The vir2 is all spill. Fine for inside the house or short ranges but that's it. A great fit for the rattler.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of the TLR-VIR-II and I like them for the overall size but they do have some drawbacks and it depends on the gun and how you mount them.

OP, what gun will you mount this on?

I had one on a MP5 with a Midwest Industries handguard and I couldn’t get a good location that I could comfortable activate it while shooting and shut it off.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
VIR is perfect for your stated use. As mentioned serves a great role on short range long guns SBRs/PPCs/shotguns. Will also serve as an active aiming system for your pistol. Literally can’t go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Code4 Defense.

I have one.  It's a friction style mount with a little hinged tab that locks onto the unit.  It's not a permanent mod and it does indeed work but its not magical.  It simply throws the light into a slightly more focused beam.

Still, depending on use case, the VIRII is freakin awesome for the price.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Code4 Defense.

I have one.  It's a friction style mount with a little hinged tab that locks onto the unit.  It's not a permanent mod and it does indeed work but its not magical.  It simply throws the light into a slightly more focused beam.

View Quote
Actually I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be coming out from Villain Weapon Systems. I didn't know about the code4 option. I'll have to check that out as well.

ETA I just checked it out... the code 4 thing is just a kydex hood that blocks spill. It isn't a lens that focuses the light. Villain makes a refocus lens for the atpial C, and someone on a different thread said they saw on their social media that they are teasing something for the VIR2 as well...
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be coming out from Villain Weapon Systems. I didn't know about the code4 option. I'll have to check that out as well.

ETA I just checked it out... the code 4 thing is just a kydex hood that blocks spill. It isn't a lens that focuses the light. Villain makes a refocus lens for the atpial C, and someone on a different thread said they saw on their social media that they are teasing something for the VIR2 as well...
View Quote

Fantastic.  Good info.  Thank you.

I have a Villain Diffuser on my FP PEQ15 and I love it. They make some really, really good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd go with a Holosun LS117 IR and an Inforce WML white/IR as the bare minimum entry point. Actually a highly functional setup for urban / suburban / CQ
View Quote
I'll second use of Inforce WML w White/IR. Great device!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Code4 Defense.

Linky to the Code4 Defense diffuser being mentioned. I hadn't seen that before, but it might be a useful addition if the 3EIR Vulcan Delta never becomes a thing.

I really wish there was a Streamlight produced backplate for the VIR II that allowed a tape switch to be used. The videos showing mods to other plates is cool, but I'm always wary of something like that failing at the worst time and leaving you up shits creek.

ETA: I just watched the video on Code4 Defense's site and I wonder how much it actually focuses the IR illuminator down. They showed it indoors with a wall that I would guess was less than 20ft away. Would have been nice to see it at 50yds outside.

@Magsz18 how does it do outside at distance?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Linky to the Code4 Defense diffuser being mentioned. I hadn't seen that before, but it might be a useful addition if the 3EIR Vulcan Delta never becomes a thing.

I really wish there was a Streamlight produced backplate for the VIR II that allowed a tape switch to be used. The videos showing mods to other plates is cool, but I'm always wary of something like that failing at the worst time and leaving you up shits creek.

ETA: I just watched the video on Code4 Defense's site and I wonder how much it actually focuses the IR illuminator down. They showed it indoors with a wall that I would guess was less than 20ft away. Would have been nice to see it at 50yds outside.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Code4 Defense.

Like i said, it doesn't focus anything, it just blocks the spill. It's like putting a toilet paper tube in front of your flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
On a rifle?  I'm setting up a malkoff 300 sized IR light & a stiner OTAL-C ir laser with a dual lead tape switch.  But I got a deal on them.  

So far I love the combo & just need to remember which pad is which thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Like i said, it doesn't focus anything, it just blocks the spill. It's like putting a toilet paper tube in front of your flashlight.
View Quote

Basically, this.

It was honestly a waste of money but I wanted to try it.  It doesn't create a hot spot but it does sort of, "fake" one by cutting down on some of the spill coming out of the reflector.

The reflector itself would have to be reshaped to really focus the beam more which aint happening anytime soon lol.  At lest I don't foresee it happening as streamlight is pretty slow to move with their IR products.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:

Basically, this.

It was honestly a waste of money but I wanted to try it.  It doesn't create a hot spot but it does sort of, "fake" one by cutting down on some of the spill coming out of the reflector.

The reflector itself would have to be reshaped to really focus the beam more which aint happening anytime soon lol.  At lest I don't foresee it happening as streamlight is pretty slow to move with their IR products.
View Quote

Yeah, was just wanting to confirm if it actually helped with blocking the spill on things up close that leads to autogating and giving the user a perceived benefit at distance. I realize it's not actually a lens that focusing down the illuminator. "Focuses the illuminator down" was a poor choice of words on my part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top