Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2022 1:04:33 PM EDT
It's home

For those of you who might remember I snagged a bubba'd M1 Carbine end of 2021 for a nice price off Gunbroker ($800 bucks before shipping and FFL, $900 total).

What it looked like then

7 months later just back from Fulton Armory for a repark and check over

Now that looks more like a M1 Carbine people The stock is from Numrich.

I was worried about the bolt having been jeweled

Before

After.

The repark got rid of the "purple haze" trigger group also.

Before

After.

No range report yet, of course UPS delivers it on a day it's raining I'm almost afraid to shoot it it's so nice looking. This is what a Carbine must have looked like day of issue.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.  I have heard so many good things about Fulton.  Keep us posted.  My 43 Inland is jealous.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice after reversing the damage previously done.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Very nice.  I have heard so many good things about Fulton.  Keep us posted.  My 43 Inland is jealous.
View Quote

Quoted:
Very nice after reversing the damage previously done.
View Quote

The bolt was the biggest worry, I have a spare but wanted to save that in case I need it down the road.

Right now part of me says never shoot, it's that nice looking. I've other Carbines anyway so it's not like I can't find one to wear out.

I'll sleep on it. I've got to work the next 3 weekends anyway so that helps me a bit there
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the guy wanted a miniature Weatherby !

You gotta admit - the stock is kinda'   "creative"
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the guy wanted a miniature Weatherby !

You gotta admit - the stock is kinda'   "creative"
View Quote
That stock seems to be the Fajen  'Aristocrat'.

Perhaps, in addition to the thumbhole mannlicher stocked version, it was a 1 of 50 special edition the Williams Sight Co made>

Definitely a nod to the Weatherby style stocks of the 60s.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Williams.html

Was it a Plainfield receiver engraved 'One of Fifty"?

If so, ironic if you perhaps militarized a more rare, more valuable, sporterized collectible.

@DonFlynn

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Perhaps, in addition to the thumbhole mannlicher stocked version, it was a 1 of 50 special edition the Williams Sight Co made>

If so, ironic if you perhaps militarized a more rare, more valuable, sporterized collectible.

@DonFlynn

View Quote
Huh.  Never knew those versions existed.  Neat!
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, mind telling us how much it ran?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@DonFlynn

View Quote

You’re spot on about the stock, but that link seems to suggest the “1 of 50” rifles were in the thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, mind telling us how much it ran?
View Quote

The work from Fulton? $502 plus $45 shipping here to them. Add $225 for the new stock (I got what I used in the photo from Numrich for $150 plus shipping and the new metal sling was around $75 bucks from FA.

All told I'd say I have $1600-1700 in the gun. About what the going rate for Carbines can run now low end
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@DonFlynn

View Quote

This was a total USGI gun, 1944 Inland
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't recall the last time I saw one, but sporterized versions used to be pretty common on the gun show scene back when gun shows were fun and you could find cool stuff.  Like so many other surplus rifles from the post war period, many of them were rather poorly done, most seemed to be somewhere in the middle but some of them were really nice looking and it was obvious that folks spent a good bit of time and money on them.  Other than the purple trigger group I would have been tempted to leave that one as it was if it shot well, just because.  

They were fairly popular deer rifles in a lot of places including around here with Remington's 110gr SP rounds being the round of choice, same as it was for a lot of law enforcement agencies that used them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#12]
The first stock was better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  The first stock was better.
View Quote

Actually, given the bayonet lug had already been ditched or was never installed, there was no need for an upper handguard on OP's rifle - or the original carbine.  Perhaps it kept the mirage down after mag dumps.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The work from Fulton? $502 plus $45 shipping here to them. Add $225 for the new stock (I got what I used in the photo from Numrich for $150 plus shipping and the new metal sling was around $75 bucks from FA.

All told I'd say I have $1600-1700 in the gun. About what the going rate for Carbines can run now low end
View Quote

Quoted:

This was a total USGI gun, 1944 Inland
View Quote
Nice!

You rescued something and returned it to its former glory, and it looks sharp to boot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait, carbines are going for 1600????
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Wait, carbines are going for 1600????
View Quote

Nice ones can.

I got a badly sporterized Inland back in 2017 for $500 at a show, market has gone up since then.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The first stock was better.
View Quote

$50 bucks and shipping it's yours It felt funky when I tried it and with the Carbine being in such nice condition, I had to put it back in USGI configuration.

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeap, they've gone through the roof the past couple years. Cheapest I've seen 1 real time was spring 2020, I picked up a "Bavarian" Postal Meter for $1300 that was in very nice shape, I used my Biden Bucks for that "weapon of war" as it were.

Bavarian NPM

That has a post war "Erma" replacement barrel on it so it's not pure "USGI". Bubba here looks like it has its issue 1944 barrel and gauged a .05, which is damn near new for an original barrel

Last gun show I went to the cheapest was $1600 bucks. Average LGS price right now starts the same. I could break even easy if I wanted to but "Bubba" is a safe queen now, I've "shooter" USGI Carbines in the stash

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice ones can.

I got a badly sporterized Inland back in 2017 for $500 at a show, market has gone up since then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice ones can.

You keep it like that or restore it ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice ones can.

Turned it into an IBM w/ mostly Inland parts, gave it to my retired accountant father - I felt he should have an IBM in the house.  Someone had badly drilled & tapped the Inland receiver, including taking a chunk out of the forward receiver ring.  Passed that on to the carbine collector who helped me move all the parts over to the IBM.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Turned it into an IBM w/ mostly Inland parts, gave it to my retired accountant father - I felt he should have an IBM in the house.  Someone had badly drilled & tapped the Inland receiver, including taking a chunk out of the forward receiver ring.  Passed that on to the carbine collector who helped me move all the parts over to the IBM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice ones can.

Good. drilled receivers are the worst. I know they were cheap in the day but anymore I see a sporterized Carbine I cry
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good. drilled receivers are the worst. I know they were cheap in the day but anymore I see a sporterized Carbine I cry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice ones can.

I dunno.  I've met carbine collectors who obsess over getting as many factory original parts onto a GI gun, when sometimes that's not likely the way that gun came from the factory.  What is often called "Bubba" today was an honest, careful consideration of the cost & benefits of modifying a cheap but capable gun.  If it weren't for sporterized mil-surps, the original configuration mil-surps wouldn't be nearly as valuable.  If no one had Tapco-fucked SKSs, original SKSs would still be $70 in barrels.

My late father-in-law particularly liked the M1917 action for target guns, and he built many long range target guns on those actions, some of which are still competing today.  He was no Bubba, but recognized a cheap, well-made action that is still widely available.

It's pretty ironic someone paid to have your carbine's bolt carefully jeweled, and then you paid to have it reparked.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice job. Originally though, the bolts left the factory blued rather than parked.  Not sure why the did it that way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice job. Originally though, the bolts left the factory blued rather than parked.  Not sure why the did it that way.
View Quote

The bolt on this one had been jeweled, I wasn't sure Fulton could save it and figured it would be easier to go with just a repark
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

$50 bucks and shipping it's yours It felt funky when I tried it and with the Carbine being in such nice condition, I had to put it back in USGI configuration.

Yeap, they've gone through the roof the past couple years. Cheapest I've seen 1 real time was spring 2020, I picked up a "Bavarian" Postal Meter for $1300 that was in very nice shape, I used my Biden Bucks for that "weapon of war" as it were.

Bavarian NPM

That has a post war "Erma" replacement barrel on it so it's not pure "USGI". Bubba here looks like it has its issue 1944 barrel and gauged a .05, which is damn near new for an original barrel

Last gun show I went to the cheapest was $1600 bucks. Average LGS price right now starts the same. I could break even easy if I wanted to but "Bubba" is a safe queen now, I've "shooter" USGI Carbines in the stash

https://images14.fotki.com/v1676/photos/9/4114449/16422201/photo3-vi.jpg
View Quote

Why are you so greedy?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why are you so greedy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bavarian NPM

https://images14.fotki.com/v1676/photos/9/4114449/16422201/photo3-vi.jpg

Why are you so greedy?

Excuse me? Asking for a decent price for an object?. Or do you object to me owning Carbine's? That would be the ultimate in double standards coming from you
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Excuse me? Asking for a decent price for an object?. Or do you object to me owning Carbine's? That would be the ultimate in double standards coming from you
View Quote
Pretty sure that was sarcasm.  Fluffy knows the value of things.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I can't recall the last time I saw one, but sporterized versions used to be pretty common on the gun show scene back when gun shows were fun and you could find cool stuff.  Like so many other surplus rifles from the post war period, many of them were rather poorly done, most seemed to be somewhere in the middle but some of them were really nice looking and it was obvious that folks spent a good bit of time and money on them.  Other than the purple trigger group I would have been tempted to leave that one as it was if it shot well, just because.  

They were fairly popular deer rifles in a lot of places including around here with Remington's 110gr SP rounds being the round of choice, same as it was for a lot of law enforcement agencies that used them.
View Quote

Fajen sold a lot of stocks back in the day in fully finished, inletted and semi-inletted form.  Many of them went on various surplus weapons, including the M1 Carbine, and they often made very nice firearms, when properly done.

For example, I found a Mauser 98 in the early 1980s that had been rebarrelled for 7mm Rem Mag and dropped into a horribly fitted stock.   Who ever had bent the bolt handle also ruined the temper on the camming surface of the bolt so it was “sticky”.  That’s an example of “very badly done” (although the polish and blue was very well done).   But it was a $75 rifle and a great gunsmithing project.

I replaced the bolt handle with a new one for $1.99, welded it to the bolt, properly shaped everything, then re-tempered that area of the bolt.   I dropped it in a classic style Fajen semi-inletted fancy walnut stock (for around $150 IIRC) and the end result was a very nice custom rifle for $227, plus some time and sweat.  That wasn’t bad even in the early 1980s.

——

Aside from the bluing tank temp being a little off and the blue going purple a couple decades later (it doesn’t show at the time you do it) on the trigger assembly, that M1 carbine had been very nicely sporterized.

I’d have left it alone as a nicely done piece of Americana that was every bit as historically significant as a non messed with surplus M1 carbine.

As it is now, the OP has neither one.  He’s got a re parked and restocked M1 carbine that he poured a lot of money into, and what he has to show for it is a refinished non original M1 carbine with no character.  You can find those every day.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  Fajen sold a lot of stocks back in the day in fully finished, inletted and semi-inletted form.  Many of them went on various surplus weapons, including the M1 Carbine, and they often made very nice firearms, when properly done.

For example, I found a Mauser 98 in the early 1980s that had been rebarrelled for 7mm Rem Mag and dropped into a horribly fitted stock.   Who ever had bent the bolt handle also ruined the temper on the camming surface of the bolt so it was “sticky”.  That’s an example of “very badly done” (although the polish and blue was very well done).   But it was a $75 rifle and a great gunsmithing project.

I replaced the bolt handle with a new one for $1.99, welded it to the bolt, properly shaped everything, then re-tempered that area of the bolt.   I dropped it in a classic style Fajen semi-inletted fancy walnut stock (for around $150 IIRC) and the end result was a very nice custom rifle for $227, plus some time and sweat.  That wasn’t bad even in the early 1980s.

——

Aside from the bluing tank temp being a little off and the blue going purple a couple decades later (it doesn’t show at the time you do it) on the trigger assembly, that M1 carbine had been very nicely sporterized.

I’d have left it alone as a nicely done piece of Americana that was every bit as historically significant as a non messed with surplus M1 carbine.

As it is now, the OP has neither one.  He’s got a re parked and restocked M1 carbine that he poured a lot of money into, and what he has to show for it is a refinished non original M1 carbine with no character.  You can find those every day.
View Quote

Meh - one of his grandchildren will pawn it, it will kick around for awhile, and some collector will snag it for a good price and have the bolt blued.  It will be absolutely correct.  One of his grandchildren will pawn it, it will fall in the hands of an artist, who will jewel the bolt & find an old Fajen stock...
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Meh - one of his grandchildren will pawn it, it will kick around for awhile, and some collector will snag it for a good price and have the bolt blued.  It will be absolutely correct.  One of his grandchildren will pawn it, it will fall in the hands of an artist, who will jewel the bolt & find an old Fajen stock...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Fajen sold a lot of stocks back in the day in fully finished, inletted and semi-inletted form.  Many of them went on various surplus weapons, including the M1 Carbine, and they often made very nice firearms, when properly done.

——

Your both wrong. 1st, no grandchildren. 2nd, the nephew who does get my firearms when I pass knows what a M1 carbine is and what value they have.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Dang. I haven't seen an m1 carbine in a gun store in 10 years, and it was around $500 in perfect condition. I didn't realize they were so valuable now.

OP I've seen some Bubba'd guns but that stock wasn't so bad. I would have ran it. Most want the original though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Snagged a nice Springfield Armory M2 walnut stock last week for $65 bucks, figured it looks great in it
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank God that whoever owned that carbine first cut or made the stock to slip over the bayonet lug and they didn’t cut it off like a communist piece of shit.

Infantry rifles have bayonet lugs. Period.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thank God that whoever owned that carbine first cut or made the stock to slip over the bayonet lug and they didn’t cut it off like a communist piece of shit.

View Quote

Uh, the carbine didn't originally have a bayonet lug.  And the bayonet lug is part of the forward bbl band.  And the carbine wasn't intended as an infantry rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I inherited a sporterized Springfield Krag that was my great grandfathers' gun. I've never been able to confirm if it's what he carried in WWI, but I wouldn't change it for the world. There's plenty of original Krag rifles out there.

But you did a great job putting that carbine back right. Looks like a fun project!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I inherited a sporterized Springfield Krag that was my great grandfathers' gun. I've never been able to confirm if it's what he carried in WWI, but I wouldn't change it for the world. There's plenty of original Krag rifles out there.

But you did a great job putting that carbine back right. Looks like a fun project!!
View Quote

Krags were only used for training stateside during the 1st WW.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, they did modify the barrel band so it would work with the sporter stock. They either used a Type 2 or cut down a Type 3. The Sporter band has a screw in the bottom that fits in the stock, holding the top guard on and mounting the stock in place.

I had Fulton install the Type 3 when they did the repark. I thought about having them use a Type 2 but that would have just been a cut down Type 3 anyway. I sort of figured it had been through the rebuild process postwar anyway, the Type 3 looked better with the adjustable rear sight.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#38]
VERY nice, OP. Nice collection you have, too.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Very nice indeed! Wish I would have snagged the one for the $400 at my LGS 10 years ago...
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ditto! Holy hell...off to google the value of a Rock-Ola.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've gone through the roof the past couple of years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top