Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2020 8:11:46 PM EDT
In all my years, 870's, 1100's, 930's, 500's, 37's, 590's, and a couple others mixed in, but never a Browning BPS.

I've been watching them lately, and they seem to go cheaper than a comparable 37 or 870, so what is the problem with them and why don't they command the same prices?  From what I've been able to determine they seem to be a puzzle to take apart and put together, and they are heavier than their more common counterparts, but any other reason to avoid one if one was looking for a good shotgun for a lefty, as it's a bottom-ejector and not wanting to pay for a Left Hand 870/1100 or a 37...?

Thanks for any and all input.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
They're cheaper than the Ithaca to start, but where are you seeing them less than 870s? Are wingmasters more expensive?
A 20ga BPS is on my shortlist.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I just put a 1989 12ga BPS hunter on layaway at my favorite pawn shop.  Looks brand new.   They usually take a ton of money off and don't care as long as I pay it off in 6 months. I grab off duty jobs to pay for my hobby.  Would have brought it home already but was committed to another $500 purchase.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In all my years, 870's, 1100's, 930's, 500's, 37's, 590's, and a couple others mixed in, but never a Browning BPS.

I've been watching them lately, and they seem to go cheaper than a comparable 37 or 870, so what is the problem with them and why don't they command the same prices?  From what I've been able to determine they seem to be a puzzle to take apart and put together, and they are heavier than their more common counterparts, but any other reason to avoid one if one was looking for a good shotgun for a lefty, as it's a bottom-ejector and not wanting to pay for a Left Hand 870/1100 or a 37...?

Thanks for any and all input.
View Quote

It and the Ithaca 37 are shotguns I tried to like. I had 3 and the gunsmith couldn’t get them to run right. Sold them off.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#4]
They’re built really solid but many claim they are heavy to lug around in the field.  It is heavy because the receiver is milled from a solid chunk of steel.  Fit and finish on my gun is far better than any on the 870s that I have owned or handled.  I have a 20ga with a 28 inch barrel and have killed plenty of birds and never thought it was too heavy to carry.  They are manufactured for Browning by Miroku in Japan.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't seen that, bottom eject is pretty slick
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Been searching gunbroker and Texas gun trader a whole lot these last couple months.  870’s and Ithaca both end up being in the 400-600+ range, while a lot of the BPS’s have sold for short of 400.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Well built, good design. Good for sitting in the blind. Wouldn’t want to have to lug one very far
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
MiamiJBT did a piece on it: BPS high capacity.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MiamiJBT did a piece on it: BPS high capacity.
View Quote

Thanks, opened it up to read later.  
Edit:  Good read, too bad they don't still make the tactical version.  I wonder how much the Nordic mag extensions are, but I'm just thinking about getting one in a normal capacity model.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
BPS has one of the slickest actions I've encountered...
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one a long time and never had an issue duck hunting with it. My problem was I was raised shooting 1100's and Auto 5s. Too many times I would forget to shuck and ultimately went back to Auto guns.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a BPS trap....... great shooting gun I have been happy with it
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Lefty here
Got one for Christmas when I was 12. They had recently come out IIRC.
Humped that through many vineyards hunting dove/quail. Never thought it was heavy.
Thing has never failed. Will never sell mine
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got one in 10 gauge. Love shooting it, moving parts almost feel bearing-smooth.

Hate carrying it. Thing weighs a ton-but it helps tame the big shells.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Another happy BPS owner, and lefty here.
I have had mine for almost 30 years and it is one gun I will never part with.

It is certainly heavier than an 870 or a 500/590 but the fit and finish makes even an older Wingmaster look bad.
The action was smooth to begin with, but after thousands of shells it feels like it is on glass now.

A BPS will never be considered HSLD but it is pretty darn close to the pinnacle of pump gun quality.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Yet another lefty who has had a BPS for over 30 years.
Great shotgun, thousands of rounds through it and it is smooth as silk.
Trying to talk myself into or out of a 10 guage at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yet another lefty who has had a BPS for over 30 years.
Great shotgun, thousands of rounds through it and it is smooth as silk.
Trying to talk myself into or out of a 10 guage at the moment.
View Quote

If you were closer you'd be more than welcome to try mine before spending the money. I just wish I could find a 30 inch barrel for it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got one in 10 gauge. Love shooting it, moving parts almost feel bearing-smooth.

Hate carrying it. Thing weighs a ton-but it helps tame the big shells.
View Quote

Eventually I’ll probably have a 10ga BPS. The ones I’ve seen are rock solid.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had a couple. Liked them all, but as has been said, are a bit heavy. 10ga was by far my favorite.

Bottom eject is great in a layout blind. Bit of a pain in the ass to break down the first few times, but it's a rock solid action.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Scored a left handed 870 today, so the BPS is now on the back burner.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you were closer you'd be more than welcome to try mine before spending the money. I just wish I could find a 30 inch barrel for it.
View Quote

I appreciate the offer.
I absolutely don't need one, I just have a strange desire to own a 10 guage.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I appreciate the offer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the offer.

I completely understand-they're almost pointless unless you're a die hard goose or turkey hunter, and practice ammo does not exist, but I like them too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#23]
one of the best Duck and Bird Hunting guns you can own.

I shoot 5 stand and Sporting Clays as well as Duck Hunt with mine, putting a few thousand rounds a year thru it. I run a 26 inch I/C fixed choke and a 24 I/C fixed choke and I have a custom fitted stock.

with quality steel shot the 26 shoots phenomenal patterns at 40 and with the 24, it is a awesome quail gun. I have the english stock in a box and have always been looking for a deal on a 12 ga BPS with a crappy stock that needed a new home.

I love the gun.
my family and friends are hardcore shotgunners and I'm an instructor. I shoot that BPS as well as I shoot my 11/87's.

the only downside is chamber checking.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They’re built really solid but many claim they are heavy to lug around in the field.  It is heavy because the receiver is milled from a solid chunk of steel.  Fit and finish on my gun is far better than any on the 870s that I have owned or handled.  I have a 20ga with a 28 inch barrel and have killed plenty of birds and never thought it was too heavy to carry.  They are manufactured for Browning by Miroku in Japan.
View Quote

I would love to have a 20 with a fixed I/C choked 24 inch barrel and a English Stock. that would be an ideal quail gun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 20ga BPS from the early eighties. I've used it for duck and rabbit hunting but where it shined was south TX dove hunting. All the guys used to hump those 12s around the dove fields and were sweating before two boxes of shells, the 20 can last all day. Like others have said ball bearing smooth action. One feature the 12 had that the 20 did not was a magazine selector where you could stop the mag from releasing a round to single load a different shell.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 20ga BPS from the early eighties. I've used it for duck and rabbit hunting but where it shined was south TX dove hunting. All the guys used to hump those 12s around the dove fields and were sweating before two boxes of shells, the 20 can last all day. Like others have said ball bearing smooth action. One feature the 12 had that the 20 did not was a magazine selector where you could stop the mag from releasing a round to single load a different shell.
View Quote

Never seen that on a BPS, seen it on lots of A5s though.

Nice option to have.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Love mine. Wife bought it for me when we got engaged. It’s my go to pheasant gun. It is a 12 gauge and I have a nib 16ga with the English stock and a youth model 20 ga.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#28]
28” special steel model, found it today.  Can’t get the photo to upload of the mag cap, but it looks like someone WECSOG’ed a sling swivel onto it, barrel is pristine, I would imagine it hasn’t been shot much even though it appears to have been handled a bunch.
[
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Trying for the other pics

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nice option to have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice option to have.

That was on the first ones made. First 2 years I believe. It is a great feature.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Decided to get the big 10 out for a picture.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Had it out this afternoon for clays.  Great shooter, kind of awkward loading and shooting it, but shot great.  I almost wish the hand guard wasn’t so long where you want to hold it where the shell ejects out the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146284/20210122_180834_jpg-1792053.JPG
View Quote

I got a 10 also. Recoil is no where near what I thought it would be and quite manageable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I got a 10 also. Recoil is no where near what I thought it would be and quite manageable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146284/20210122_180834_jpg-1792053.JPG

Yeah, it's substantial but not intolerable.

Thanks to the weight it's got quite a bit less recoil than a similar load in a 31/2 inch 12.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Had it out this afternoon for clays.  Great shooter, kind of awkward loading and shooting it, but shot great.  I almost wish the hand guard wasn’t so long where you want to hold it where the shell ejects out the bottom.
View Quote

I haven’t messed with the BPS much but on 37s you can bring the bolt back almost all the way to the rear and drop a shell down. It will load when you close the bolt. If you mess with it and dummy shell is pretty easy to figure out(on a 37). Then you can stuff the tube full.

I find it way more convenient than only loading the tube then cycling the gun to chamber it then topping off.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I haven’t messed with the BPS much but on 37s you can bring the bolt back almost all the way to the rear and drop a shell down. It will load when you close the bolt. If you mess with it and dummy shell is pretty easy to figure out(on a 37). Then you can stuff the tube full.

I find it way more convenient than only loading the tube then cycling the gun to chamber it then topping off.
View Quote

Yeah, I had looked up information about 3 differnet ways to do it.  One was to have the pump just slightly forward, with the loading arms all the way up and then drop the shell into the chamber, the other was to rest the shell on top of the loading arms, then when moving the action forward it drops the shell and loads it (worked all but 1 time), and the last being to run the action forward on empty, load two in the mag, then push the action release and run the action.  I actually think I ended up liking the third method best.  I put about 20-25 shells through it in each style and think #3 worked best for me, even though it involves the extra steps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top