Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2018 4:36:03 AM EDT
I just picked a no3 mk1.  It was sportized so i have to restore it.  Im looking for the lower fore grip wood.  Can anyone help me source a clean piece of wood.  I would even take a repro piece rather then a beat piece.  Im very good with restoring wood to so a used lower i could refinish to match if its not beat.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently bought one of those forestocks.  It came with the obligatory DP stock striping.  The paint came off pretty easily and had plenty of dings and scrapes even after I cleaned it up.  Plus, it has the No4 style reinforcement that means you need the stock bolt w/o the squared off end.  
$100 is kind of expensive, but I couldn't find anything in the states.    The forward handguard is hard to find too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found this site usefully
http://www.ssporters.com/
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#4]
dang it
I wish I'd seen that two months ago!
But, the last thing I need is another complete SMLE stock set.  I have a post-independence Indian barrel, all wrapped up, and that'd make me want to turn aother sporter into a shooter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#5]
If you actually have a No. 3 Mk. I, sometimes called the Pattern '14, and you are looking for a stock, SARCO has them.

Be aware that they are beat to shit. Really, they're a step away from firewood.

You can fit an M1917 stock to one, however, with a little bit of work.

If, on the other hand, you actually have a No. 1 Mk. III - i.e., an SMLE, then the other posts have given you good advice already.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes i have a no1 mkiii.  I kept getting the model wrong.  Yes im looking for the forestock.  I was also wondering if someone could help with what type of nose cap i would need and what would be correct to restore this rifle

The marking on the rifle are as follows g.r. over a crown 1918 shrt le.  Start a * mark?

The finish is very dark black.  Metal in good shape.  The wood was sportized sadly.

But i think we could can it back up to mil spec.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have only seen the DP Indian stuff of late.  I bought a complete set of like-new Brit walnut for the No1 MkIII a few years back for $140 delivered and I knew at the time I should have gotten two sets.  To prove I am an idiot I recently saw a Lithgow parts kit with intact wood (no receiver and no barrel) go for $400 on GB.  Way more than I have ever paid for a No1.
I believe the nose cap would be the round-ear one without adjustment holes and with the stacking swivel area ready to accept the swivel.  I don't recall if leaving that area solid was another time/cost cutting idea in 1918.  
I found an Aussie coach wood forend that is complete, but it has multiple repairs to its rear end and I doubt it'd stand up to much shooting.  It looks nice on the exterior, if you were going to put Aussie wood all around to match it up.  If matching the wood up is important to you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#8]
No im looking to shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I would try to look on Ebay. I found an okay condition Walnut forend for my No4 Mk1* for under 100. Pretty much everywhere else had forends out of stock for years. I know I've seen some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top