Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2018 5:35:32 PM EDT
Post pics of yours. I’ll post pics of mine in a few. 1967 factory 26.

Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have paperwork or is it just because of the date and or lack of importer stamp?
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting, I love a war trophy thread. Damn shame our boys couldn’t bring back the good stuff from the Middle East.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Here you go.  This was brought back by my Dad and when he passed 2 years ago, it was willed to me.  This is my most prized possession due to the fact that I know the entire story behind it.  My dad was a Captain at the time and went through all the proper channels to get it back to the states.  He spent 28 years in the Army and retired as a Colonel.  He was a great man and I miss him dearly.  Taking this gun out once in while puts the biggest smile on my face.  Enjoy.  (Picture of letter attached as well)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it have paperwork or is it just because of the date and or lack of importer stamp?
View Quote
Well the papers were lost a long ago but I got it from the guy who purchased it from the veteran who brought it home after his tour. Bought the rifle not the story though. No import stamp. Have a feeling this came out of the big caches they captured in Cambodia in 1970. The man had nobody to will it to so he sold it a several years ago. I can see remnants of where the papers were taped to the but when he brought it back. My father was a Vietnam veteran and just passed away last month. I inherited all of his awards and documents. Very cool rifle above RO73. It’s great you still have all the documents and best of all it was your fathers. I am a retired Army veteran and I got to bring home some trophies from Ramadi Iraq in 2004. A Kalahnikov made in the Soviet Union bayonet and a Chinese AK chest rig that holds four magazines. No clue where the papers went but that’s where they came from.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one from a former E-5 with 101 ABN who was moving and could no longer keep it-- it came in on a DD603a but we couldn't find it-- to hear him tell it, they bounced a bunch of NVA regulars in 1967 just as they finished digging them up-- they had apparently been buried for about three years at that time, cosmolined and wrapped in plastic-- it looks like it's been buried for a couple years, but inside it looks amazingly new. Unfortunately I can't get to it for a photo just now. I like the SKS, it has an old-school elegance to it--
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for later. I have a bringback SKS with several different bringback forms. Spoke to the veteran who brought it back. Sadly, he would not relinquish the papers without blanking out his SS. Understandable, but still...
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
While in Afghanistan ( may be different now this was in 2008) we were able to ship back antiques with authorization, I brought back a bunch of British martini and snider rifles ( had to do your home work to make sure they were not kyber pass copies) and some French lebel rifles as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Haven't found the pics of the rifle, and too lazy to take more at the moment. External appearance is rough, but excellent internally. Was likely carried a lot, but rarely fired....or spent time buried/stored.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/orzRDlO.png

https://i.imgur.com/6oNUlpn.png

https://i.imgur.com/G6Mjgzo.png

Haven't found the pics, and too lazy to take more at the moment. External appearance is rough, but excellent internally. Was likely carried a lot, but rarely fired.
View Quote
That’s really cool my Dad was in Pleiku a lot  (where your rifle came from) during his first tour with the 1st Cavalry (was a Huey driver). I’d love to get a documented bring back some day!
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My uncle was in the Hanoi Hilton for almost 7 years. His friend gave him this one from the Son Tay raid supposedly.
Middle one
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221518/20171101_172317-422697.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221518/20171101_162608-422699.JPG
My uncle was in the Hanoi Hilton for almost 7 years. His friend gave him this one from the Son Tay raid supposedly.
Middle one
View Quote
Very cool. That SKS has a great story. I bet Charles shit his pants during that raid. I bet they never figured we would hit them up north. Tell your uncle thanks for his service!
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been collecting Vietnam bringbacks of all types since the ‘70s. They have always been my focus and my passion.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been collecting Vietnam bringbacks of all types since the ‘70s. They have always been my focus and my passion.
View Quote
Show us some pics!
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm no expert, but I thought I read that the bayonets were flat bladed on the Vietman guns, and the cross shaped ones were made for export.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Show us some pics!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Show us some pics!
I spend most of my time online with my iPad but the next time I use my desktop computer I’ll post some photos.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm no expert, but I thought I read that the bayonets were flat bladed on the Vietman guns, and the cross shaped ones were made for export.
View Quote
Early production Chinese SKS rifles with the blade bayonet and later production examples with the cruciform/spike bayonet were both used in the Vietnam War.

I never tried to keep an accurate accounting but I’d say that in my experience, Chicom SKS bringbacks with the cruciform bayonet are more common than the examples with blade bayonets. Perhaps a 60/40 ratio as a ballpark estimate.

The numbers are not huge, perhaps 5%-10%, but some SKS rifles were captured and brought-back without a bayonet attached. One rare and fascinating variant is the SKS fitted with the shorter Chinese AK spike bayonet. These improvised “jungle workshop” repairs range from very crude to quite well done.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally got er out. Rough shape, as mentioned.

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:33:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Very cool is it battle damaged?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Very cool is it battle damaged?
View Quote
Not that I can tell. That is to say, no bullet holes or projectile/shrapnel damage.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#21]
When you have some time can we get some better/more pics I like it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Some don't need paperwork.

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wanted to say this is an awesome thread. Some truly interesting stuff in here. Great rifles everyone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool guns

Recall seeing photos from VN, with the "AK NO WAY" signs posted to stop GI's trying to mail them home.

SKS-45 Simonov - cool WW2 era design = hence the classic old world look, not too aged & no doubt a fun range toy that can still double up when needed for more serious work.
Easy to feed from the 10-rd clips. Had some of the chest rigs a while back, they were cheap as anything from Numrich.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cool guns

Recall seeing photos from VN, with the "AK NO WAY" signs posted to stop GI's trying to mail them home.

SKS-45 Simonov - cool WW2 era design = hence the classic old world look, not too aged & no doubt a fun range toy that can still double up when needed for more serious work.
Easy to feed from the 10-rd clips. Had some of the chest rigs a while back, they were cheap as anything from Numrich.
View Quote
Real cheap rigs from the motherland China on eBay. Real slings too! Got a 1970 dated Chicom sling and a chest rig.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's interesting. Were these posted after the implementation of the 1968 Gun Control Act?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a whole bunch of different VN bring backs, most with trophy papers.  Some I brought home (3 pistols & 2 SKSs) and others from the vet who did.  
Among the lot is a couple of WW2 K98k Mauser rifles & one AK 47.  The AK was registered in the 68 amnesty.  
Here is a photo of some of the heard.  
Sarge  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#28]
That's quite the collection Sarge! Very cool.
Which nations manufactured your pistols?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Browning Hi-Power (which I carried while in RVN), chicom Tokerov and ruskie Makerov.  The last 2 in near new condition.  
Sarge
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#30]
That AK is awesome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top