Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2021 5:46:07 PM EDT
I've been watching a lot of threads, talking about how the BE MAWL appears to have the brightest IR laser and illuminator in their civilian model, seemingly because of a new technology they're using that "older" gen lasers like in the L3 APTIAL-C don't use. It's still limited to the 0.7mW, but it seems to do more with it than the others.

So what about the visible lasers on the civilian MAWL compared to the APTIAL-C? Is that much brighter as well? If I only intend to use a visible laser, cost not being a concern, is one of these better than the other? Is there any difference on the visible lasers between these 2 and the Surefire XVL2 IRC? I understand the Zenitco PERST models are full power, but I'm interested in US civilian compliant models only. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty impressed by my lil ole green railmaster from Crimson Trace.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been watching a lot of threads, talking about how the BE MAWL appears to have the brightest IR laser and illuminator in their civilian model, seemingly because of a new technology they're using that "older" gen lasers like in the L3 APTIAL-C don't use. It's still limited to the 0.7mW, but it seems to do more with it than the others.

So what about the visible lasers on the civilian MAWL compared to the APTIAL-C? Is that much brighter as well? If I only intend to use a visible laser, cost not being a concern, is one of these better than the other? Is there any difference on the visible lasers between these 2 and the Surefire XVL2 IRC? I understand the Zenitco PERST models are full power, but I'm interested in US civilian compliant models only. Thanks.
View Quote

The lasers themselves are going to be the same - it’s the IR Illuminator that’s going to be different.

Green lasers are brighter and easier to pick up than red. The atpial c only comes in red. If you have no need for IR, don’t waste the money on something like the MAWL. The PERST 4 has a 12-20mw green laser option.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
A Chinese hp green lasers on Amazon
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The lasers themselves are going to be the same - it's the IR Illuminator that's going to be different.

View Quote
Thanks, this is really the takeaway. I happened to reach out to Solcud on Instagram as well and what you said here was made more clear. The MAWL is kind of cheating by having several within restriction lasers put together to make a single diffuse beam that exceeds what a single one could do like on the other illuminators. None of that carries over to the single visible laser, so they're all going to be the same. I appreciate the input here.  Only downside is the PERST is above civilian limits, so I don't know if that'll bite me, plus since it's Russian made, even though Ivan Tactical says they'll take care of it, it's hard to say if it would work out well if there's a problem.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks, this is really the takeaway. I happened to reach out to Solcud on Instagram as well and what you said here was made more clear. The MAWL is kind of cheating by having several within restriction lasers put together to make a single diffuse beam that exceeds what a single one could do like on the other illuminators. None of that carries over to the single visible laser, so they're all going to be the same. I appreciate the input here.  Only downside is the PERST is above civilian limits, so I don't know if that'll bite me, plus since it's Russian made, even though Ivan Tactical says they'll take care of it, it's hard to say if it would work out well if there's a problem.
View Quote

I've had multiple PERST lasers. They've all been awesome.

That said, there's zero restriction on civilians owning full power lasers. They just can't be sold directly to civilians.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I just watched a review mentioning they liked the Crimson Trace 301, but even with the green laser you couldn't really see it too well in daylight. I see what you're saying about the perst 4, and it would be a whole lot easier to impulse buy it if it was in stock anywhere. :)
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#7]
You do not want the highest powered laser. You want the highest powered illuminator that you can afford that complements the laser.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
He sounds like (for some reason) he only cares about Viz? If so, and taking price, service and availability into account - PERST-4 Green + is the answer. But I guess those are hard to get now too. Pretty sure you can't get a Gray Market, Full Power US LASER serviced, but I don't know jack about anything other than Holosun or Zenitco, so may be wrong on that. But you're still paying a lot of money for features you don't care about.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Exactly. I just want a daylight bright visible laser for a sub gun. I'm never going to be walking around with a helmet and night vision, so paying thousands for a kick butt IR Illuminator doesn't make sense for me. It looks like the visible laser on the $3000  mawl is the same as on the $300 crimson trace.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Exactly. I just want a daylight bright visible laser for a sub gun. I'm never going to be walking around with a helmet and night vision, so paying thousands for a kick butt IR Illuminator doesn't make sense for me. It looks like the visible laser on the $3000  mawl is the same as on the $300 crimson trace.
View Quote

Get a gen3 Perst4 for about $450-$500.  At night/dusk it's an actual light saber, during the day you can see it out to 300y pretty easily.

Has a "turbo mode" that makes output insane.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Get a gen3 Perst4 for about $450-$500.  At night/dusk it's an actual light saber, during the day you can see it out to 300y pretty easily.

View Quote
I had no idea they've had a direct eBay store. I've been waiting for parts needlessly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, one of my shooting buddies has a Perst-4. Holy crap that thing is clearly visible in daylight. I was really impressed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input. It wouldn't be a primary, but more as a secondary and realistically for fun at the range when not in home defense mode. I appreciate the other US options mentioned, I'll look into them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Brightest weapon mountable vis laser?

Glare lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top