Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2018 7:27:27 PM EDT
Looking at these rifles and not sure which to get. Can get ARX for about $500 less but that’s not the main factor. Looking for a rifle that isn’t an ar, but takes ar mags and has a charging handle on the side. Money is not the issue just looking for an awesome rifle I can count on and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the money. The Bren.

If youcan only afford the ARX, then the ARX
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I am assuming ace in 556. If so I think the ace, then arx, then Bren. If they come out with the bren2 it might change my mind.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am assuming ace in 556. If so I think the ace, then arx, then Bren. If they come out with the bren2 it might change my mind.
View Quote
^^^^ This, I’ve owned all 3 and this is exactly how I’d order them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get the ARX, I'm biased towards it though. I wouldn't say no to the Bren2, but I would still take the ARX over it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Galil>ARX>Bren
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a Galil Ace in 7.62x39 and 7.62x51, and both a Bren 805 and an ARX-100.  The Ace would be last on my list.  It would be Bren>ARX>Ace ,and the Bren and ARX would be pretty close.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Bren with ACR stock
cannot wait til my stamp comes back

pic from member DSully

And I'm debating trying out the new lower that allows AR15 type grips to be used
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Bren02 is supposed to come out at some point.  Personally, I prefer the Beretta.  Both have similar accuracy, though the ARX is dignificantly lighter, & its barrel swap/removal is QD tool-less.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Bren pistol, thinking I’d use it as sort of a “jack of all trades” weapon. Put a brace/stock on it. Nice set up overall.

I sold it within a month. Here’s why:

It’s heavy. As in 20in m16 heavy

It’s long. Oversized. The 11 inch Bren was the same overall length as my 14.5 BCM AR. Why bother with NFA at that point..?

Accuracy. Not terrible, but the pencil barrel heated up within a mag and my sweet little golf ball sized group turned into a softball sized group

The charging handle location got in the way of my aimpoint mount. They make canted ones, but of course that’s an extra cost

There isn’t a good place to mount a light unless you buy side rails. It suffers like an m4 carbine with the short rail system. Lack of real estate for lights. Lights are a must on serious guns.

Sling mounts are worthless.

The cheek weld is designed around low profile sights. AR height sights and even Troy micro style sights result in poor cheekweld

—————

The gun had plenty of pros, don’t get me wrong. Reliable, smooth shooting, good trigger. I’d always heard and hated the phrase “but it doesn’t do anything a good AR can’t do” but I pretty quickly found myself realizing that, well, in this case it was exactly true

Now for whatever reason the Galil ACE pistol/sbr does appeal to me. AK reliability in an 8 inch barrel with pseudo-classic Galil styling is pretty fun. But I have a feeling a 16 inch ACE carbine would be a very Bren like experience for me, at least. The ACE seems like it would shine in .308, but sssuming you’re talking about 5.56 guns, I’d rank them as follows.

1) Bren
2) ACE
3) ARX
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]
None.  Robinson XCR
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Arx100 because it’s just as good and weighs a lot less then the Bren. I wouldn’t even consider the galil
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I’d only consider the Galil in 762x39.  The only reason for that is the 762x39 round doesn’t suffer as much ballistically from a shorter barrel.  That’s it.

However then you’d have to deal with the short comings of the 762x39 round.

In following my logic, the Galil is out for me.

I admit, I clicked this thread expecting massive Bren love.   I’m going away with more knowledge.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#13]
No real experience with the other two, but I love my ARX-100.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have, or currently have, all of the mentioned platforms and here's my take on them.

Had a Bren.  Sold if after realizing that i liked my Scar 16 more.  Solid platform but on the heavier side.  I didn't think it was special enough to hand on to.

Have a Galil ACE but in 762x39.  Purchased the pistol and SBR'ed it.  Love it in this platform and it is a solid alternative to a standard AK.  It is build very solid and is also on the heavy side. This one is a keeper.  I had the opportunity to shoot the 556 version and didn't like that variant as much.

Have 2 ARX's currently (Both factory SBR's).  Great platform for what it offers: light weight, fully ambi, piston driven, etc.  I had originally purchased 1 and a buddy purchased 1.  He decided to sell to free up funds and for the price, I couldn't pass up the second.

If I had to rank them (based on 556) it would be:  ARX>BREN>ACE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top