Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2021 11:09:30 PM EDT
Just got a new PCC and was wondering if there is really a need/process for breaking in the barrel?  Any opinions from the gunsmiths on the forum?  Hope this is the right spot for this question.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Post the question one more time for the Secret Hat Trick badge.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Make it a Gordie Howe Hat Trick
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
There are quite a few places that discuss breaking in a precision barrel.  I don't think it necessary for your typical carbine or pistol. Just clean after each use for a while.  

Improper cleaning ruined more barrels than not breaking them in properly. Just sayin
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Pistol caliber carbines get broken in by shooting them at my house........
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
There isn't any proof that barrel break-in procedures accomplish anything measurable. It can have an effect between a person's ears.

It comforts people to think they did everything within their power to ease their barrel into adulthood.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just got a new PCC and was wondering if there is really a need/process for breaking in the barrel?  Any opinions from the gunsmiths on the forum?  Hope this is the right spot for this question.
View Quote

Yes. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pistol caliber carbines get broken in by shooting them at my house........
View Quote

Why would you shoot at your own house?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why would you shoot at your own house?
View Quote

Wife inside ?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I know I'm missing something that's an inside joke but I'll bite ... PTR-91 in 308,  not nearly the same thing so YMMV.  PTR's recommendation for this particular rifle,  which may have nothing to do with your particular firearm.  First 20 rounds run a cleaning brush down the barrel after each round. After that do the same thing every mag or two.  Barrel is fully broken in after 300 rounds.

Ahh ... this was already answered on "other thread".  Yeah what they said.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the stories goes is a maker of stainless stele benchrest barrels came up with the concept of breaking in barrels as a means to sell more barrels.  With some benchrest calibers, the lifespan of a barrel (or at least providing the precision a benchrest shooter demands) is roughly 1000-1200 rounds before they see any degradation.  A break-in process is going to take up at least 200 rounds, so that's 200 rounds closer to the time of barrel replacement.

I have found the process of a thorough cleaning and follow up cleanings has improved heavily fouled barrels when buying a used rifle.  However when it comes to new barrels, I haven't seen any drastic "before and after" type results.  Al this extra "de-burring" and removal of machine marks sounds credible, but wouldn't it happen anyways through regular usage?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#12]
1,100 round life on stainless barrel is underperforming.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1,100 round life on stainless barrel is underperforming.
View Quote

I wonder which calibers they are shooting that could cause unacceptable barrel erosion so early?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wonder which calibers they are shooting that could cause unacceptable barrel erosion so early?
View Quote

The most accurate one ever made for 100 yards….6ppc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top