Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2018 5:00:01 AM EDT
Finally scratched the itch for a roller delayed blowback gun. After a lot of research and careful thought, I placed an order for the PTR 9CT from the fine folks at Atlantic Firearms. They shipped the gun out very quickly and it arrived at my dealer within only a few days! As the gun comes from PTR, it ships with a pistol endcap and a 1 point bungee sling. Atlantic Firearms smartly offers a very attractive package with the SB Tactical MP5 folding pistol brace. The brace sells for $200 which made the $1690 total package price the equivalent of $1490 for the PTR 9CT gun. I say that because the brace is practically mandatory as it completely transforms the platform and makes it a far more enjoyable and practical shooting experience. The brace endplate itself is very well built out of 6061 Aluminum and the folding lockup is very tight, but it does not lock into a folded position. It comes with a MP5 rubber buffer already installed and even offers a QD socket on the left. Zero fitting of the brace was required and it made for a very tight but perfect fit. The brace itself weighs 14.2oz and adds 10.5" in length.

Now on to the actual PTR 9CT itself! The gun itself weighs barely over 5 lbs. The quality of the finish is very attractive and appears to be paint over parkerization. The receiver itself is stamped from 1018 sheet steel, the barrel is 1:10 twist and made from 4150 Chrome Alloy steel and nitrided, and the unique PTR design handguard is constructed from milled aircraft grade aluminum. My particular handguard did have a noticeable gouge on the right hand side and can be seen in this picture. I only noticed it when I first inspected the gun at home and am unsure of what could have done that to the aluminum.

Besides the handguard, the overall craftsmanship and quality of this gun is terrific to my eyes. PTR has offered a picatinny rail on their other guns for years and they have the welds and alignment nailed down perfectly.

The rest of the gun offers very nicely done welds that show good consistency.

The bolt head itself is stamped PTR.

And the gun uses a 100 degree locking piece.

The trigger pack they offer appears to be well put together and offered a surprisingly enjoyable trigger pull. I've always heard of how HK designed these trigger packs to pass drop tests so they're heavier than what most Americans are used to on their AR15s. The PTR manual states that the trigger pull ranges from 8-10 lbs. I definitely did not get the same impression so I used my trigger pull gauge and was very pleasantly surprised to see it consistently vary from 6-7.5 lbs. There is about a 2 lb initial take up and then only 4-5.5 lb once you reach the wall to release the hammer. The trigger breaks cleanly and the reset is positive and not long. I will also note that the trigger face itself is wide and this makes the trigger weight feel lighter. I was very pleasantly surprised by the result.

The molded polymer components of the gun also appear to be done well with very minimal flashing found. This did not affect the fit of the housing and is a small nitpick that is easily cleaned up.

The PTR manual calls for a 150-200 minimum round count to complete the break-in. PTR recommends the use of both commercial brass and steel cased factory loaded ammo. I lubricated the gun with Geissele/ALG Go-Juice and set off to cow country with 150 rounds of Winchester 124gr and 200 rounds of my personal reloads with Acme 147gr HiTek coated bullets. 20-30 mph winds here in Oklahoma had me scoot up to about 50 yards away from a 66% IPSC plate. I was able to hit standing shots from both strong and weak side with relative ease and consistency. Roller delayed blowback offers a very unique recoil impulse that should be tried by everyone. You can feel the bolt unlocking and rebounding with the bullet already impacting the target. I slapped on an Eotech EXPS 2-0, established a quick zero, and backed up to 80 yards and was able to make long strings of hits on the steel target. I know many espouse the need or preference for cowitnessing sights, but I found the welded optic rail combined with the Eotech made for the perfect height to clear the front sight hood. With the quick release lever on the Eotech, a transition to iron sights takes a few seconds at most.

The gun comes with 2 30 round magazines, but I was not able to discern a manufacturer. By the end of my range session, the feeding lips of both magazines were showing some finish wear but offered tight lockup. I started off with all 150 rounds of my Winchester 124gr, and encountered a stoppage on my 28th round. FTE.

I went through all the remaining Winchester 124gr and my personal 147gr reloads with zero subsequent malfunctions. There was slightly erratic brass case ejections on the first magazine, but I can't say this with full certainty as the winds were gusting up to 30 mph on the open prairie. I tried to run the gun quickly but was slowed down by only having two magazines. The magazines are dual stack and dual feed which made for very easy loading. No maglula necessary! I was worried that all the M-LOK slots would expose my hand to a heated barrel, but I found that the aluminum handguard did not burn my hand. While it was warm to the touch, it never proved uncomfortable in the slightest. The M-LOK slots made for easy, breezy, beautiful covergirl venting for the barrel.

Cleanup at home was interesting... I highly recommend a nonmarring plastic faced hammer and a nonmarring punch to drive out the rear takedown pin. The tolerances of this gun are closer than Anthony Davis' eyebrows. They hearken back to memories of me trying to install a Geissele MR556 rail! I actually hope the pin becomes easier to push and pull out with time as I do not believe it's possible to initially remove or install the pin without tools. Unscrewing the barrel's thread protector gave way to the smallest sliver of metal shaving... truly tight tolerances. The internals of the gun were overall very easy to clean and wipe down. I removed the trigger pack (Another part with very tight tolerances that required some pushing and tugging to remove and reinstall) for a more thorough wipe down but found this to be unnecessary. A quick wipe down of the exposed hammer and ejector is all that's needed. Most of all the carbon fouling was on the bolt head and carrier.

It's clear that PTR is very proud of their latest offering. The handguard has PTR lasered on the righthand side, and the gun arrives in a large case with PTR as the only visible branding. I actually have to applaud PTR as the case is very high quality and offers very unique and interesting latches. Upon closer inspection, I found a patent code under the latches and traced the case to Royal Case Company. Why did I go through all that effort? Because this case was impressive and I'd definitely consider getting one for my other guns. With that said, I do have several complaints about the layout of the case. I feel PTR should design the layout and case selection with the buyer's long term needs in mind.

As appreciated as the sight tool itself is, I did not find myself needing to adjust the sights as they came dialed in perfectly from PTR. The Grov Tec 1 point bungee sling with HK hook is very high quality and made in the USA, but I wonder if most people will ever find a use for it. I forsee many people jumping right to the SB tactical brace or filing the SBR paperwork for the collapsing stocks. I'd rather PTR include two more magazine cutouts where the sling and sight tool cutouts currently are. While the PTR pistol itself nestles in very nicely into the box, I wonder if they can go with a slightly larger box so buyers can cut out some foam to make room for either a collapsing stock or folding up their SB tactical brace. As I mentioned before, the rear takedown pin is very tight and I'd have to pack a hammer/punch with me just to remove the stock to fit the 9CT into the case before and after each range trip. You can tell that PTR really wants to blow away the buyer with the overall experience of owning their 9CT, but I think something like this should be available either as a "collector's first edition" or something like a "starter set". I know cardboard boxes aren't glamorous, but I see many potential buyers already owning several range bags, gun cases, and would prefer paying $150 less to skip the hard case, bungee sling, and sight tool.

Knowing PTR and their offerings, I predict they will offer a rail less classic offering with a traditional handguard down the line. I also can't wait for their inevitable MP5K-PDW offering and hope that they'll even offer a MP5-SD as well. They can count me as a buyer for both of those! I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be ordering a PTR91 and PTR32 from Atlantic Firearms down the road. We've heard of Palmetto State Armory's upcoming offering, but I will be surprised if they come close to the PTR 9CT's quality. I believe PTR will have a hard time keeping these in stock if they can offer a trimmed down version with a street price hovering around $1350 without the brace. I think people will find the biggest criticism of the PTR to be that it's not a real HK. I find the PTR to be as German as David Hasselhoff... and that's plenty enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
PS... this is my first ever written gun review, so please please don't be afraid to let me know what you liked or didn't like about my review. I won't get offended and would like to make more helpful write ups or reviews in the future.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I liked your review, and it looks like you are rightly pleased with your purchase.

Only suggestion: more paragraph breaks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I also picked one up a while back. It to is my first roller delay gun.  I did notice a few differences from mine to yours. What serial number is yours? My last four is 012x

Mine does not have PTR engraved on the bolt head. Just a small " J " on it. Nothing else.

My hammer has what looks like "HK" inside a circle. And does NOT the "X"  like yours.

My handguard  is perfect condition.

I have put 200 rounds thru mine with out a single problem. Some 115 and 124 grain brass cased ammo factory ammo. Blazer brass 115 GR , American Eagle 124 GR, CCI 115 GR, Federal 115 GR.   I used both PTR mags and POF mags.

I believe the PTR mags are made by POF. They look exactly like the POF mags that I have. I email PTR about any foreign made parts in the 9CT. Their response was they make 90% of the parts in house and the small parts like pins and springs are farmed out to other USA companies. He said the only non-USA part was the complete magazines. So its 100% USA made except the mags.

I changed out the MLOK handguard for a Surefire forearm I think it looks better. I also changed the lower to a clip and pin SEF contoured lower.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Great review, nice pictures.  My new PTR 9CT from Atlantic Firearms is at my FFL but I am on vacation and can't pick it up for another 10 days.  I ordered 2 HK magazines from Brownells as they had the best price I could find-$58.99 each.  Looks like they are sold out now and accepting backorders.  Also ordered a wide handguard from RTG Parts. Can't wait to pick it up and break it in.  Good luck with yours.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/heckler-koch-mp5-30rd-magazine-9mm-prod75834.aspx

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/MP5-BLACK-WIDE-HANDGUARD-NEW-POF-134p2282.htm
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome review.  I have seen a couple reviews so far and they have all been positive.  I think PTR did this gun right.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm very glad to see PTR making these here!  I'd much rather give them my money than others over there that hate and despise everything I am, but here, take my money because I like your guns...
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish these were available when I bought my mp5 clone.  I'm a fan of PTR and would have loved to have this to go with my PTR91.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
How do these compare to the Zeniths? Same quality control, build quality, and reliability? I was looking for a Z-5RS with folding brace but can't seem to find any in stock. The PTR 9CT is however available at present.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do these compare to the Zeniths? Same quality control, build quality, and reliability? I was looking for a Z-5RS with folding brace but can't seem to find any in stock. The PTR 9CT is however available at present.
View Quote
They are 100% USA made. Lifetime warranty.  Made on HK tooling that was brought over from Portugal
Fit and finish are nicer then most. Very few problems being reported with them. Most problems are being ammo related not so much the gun it self.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, the Z5RS is pretty much OOS everywhere and most likely will pay a premium if you find one.

As mentioned, generally good PTR reviews but to me, for now the Zenith seem a bit truer to the original. I would prefer traditional handguard and  not having the rail welded on.  CS from both companies is reported to be good and PT being USA made is an attraction.   Although the  PTR CT is available,  I'm interested in seeing if there is another Zenith price increase when the next batch is supposed to arrive this summer. You can  get an uninstalled brace as a bonus right now with the PTR so that brings the cost down compared to a Zenith.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Ooooo.  Nifty looking firearm!
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked mine up today!!!!  Will post pics soon......
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I am pretty sure that only the 308 pattern rifles are made from the old HK tooling.  I think the 9 mm stuff is made on new tooling.

Jason
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, the Z5RS is pretty much OOS everywhere and most likely will pay a premium if you find one.

As mentioned, generally good PTR reviews but to me, for now the Zenith seem a bit truer to the original. I would prefer traditional handguard and  not having the rail welded on.  CS from both companies is reported to be good and PT being USA made is an attraction.   Although the  PTR CT is available,  I'm interested in seeing if there is another Zenith price increase when the next batch is supposed to arrive this summer. You can  get an uninstalled brace as a bonus right now with the PTR so that brings the cost down compared to a Zenith.
View Quote
Did you mean increase or decrease? I can see either way - increase since they are hard to find at present, but possibly decrease since market is a bit soft in general.

The deal I wish I had got in on was when Bud's had the Z-5RS with the fixed SBT brace included for $1639 about a year ago.

I'm pretty tempted to jump on the PTR as its available today.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did you mean increase or decrease? I can see either way - increase since they are hard to find at present, but possibly decrease since market is a bit soft in general.

The deal I wish I had got in on was when Bud's had the Z-5RS with the fixed SBT brace included for $1639 about a year ago.

I'm pretty tempted to jump on the PTR as its available today.
View Quote
I would love to see a decrease but  meant increase just because there is a Zenith  shortage and it seems like the last couple of times new shipments began to arrive the prices went up a few hundred.  That $1639 is now $2k+ from what I have seen. while the PTR can be had $1700ish with brace, so yes, The PTR CT is tempting.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is an awesome set-up.  Congrats.  What can do you have on it?
View Quote
Thanks!!  It's a Tirant 45M, looking at picking up a 9M soon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#20]
All you need is a Dead Air Wold 9SD  
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#21]
All you need is a Dead Air Wold 9SD  

Great review and photos!  I ended up buying the Zenith Z-5P when I was shopping for one of these.  9SD is still in jail.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would love to see a decrease but  meant increase just because there is a Zenith  shortage and it seems like the last couple of times new shipments began to arrive the prices went up a few hundred.  That $1639 is now $2k+ from what I have seen. while the PTR can be had $1700ish with brace, so yes, The PTR CT is tempting.
View Quote
well, my PTR will be here next Tuesday
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I love mine...traded 3 guns for it, but it fills the roles of all of them. I need to work out a suitable light solution, though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#24]
My credit card now has another notch in it's credit belt.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My credit card now has another notch in it's credit belt.
View Quote
You are so not going to regret it!
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally got out to the range, the PTR ran like a top.  Super smooth and really accurate shooter, worth every penny.  This is literally one of those guns that you let everyone shoot so they can appreciate and understand how a well designed firearm should shoot, function and feel.  Best purchase I've made in the last 2 or 3 years hands down!
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Finally got out to the range, the PTR ran like a top.  Super smooth and really accurate shooter, worth every penny.  This is literally one of those guns that you let everyone shoot so they can appreciate and understand how a well designed firearm should shoot, function and feel.  Best purchase I've made in the last 2 or 3 years hands down!
View Quote
Shooting my 9CT is the most fun I've had shooting in a long time.
I have zero regrets putting out the $$ to buy it.

Keep an eye on the H-buffer in the brace.  After 600 rds, mine is falling apart.  I contacted SB Tactical, and had a new one in 3 days, free of charge.  
I was using 124 grain NATO stuff that hits pretty hard for 9mm.
I'm changing the buffer and loading up some 147gr subs.  We'll see if the buffer survives better.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Added optic too

MP5 Pistola
by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

MP5 Pistola
by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice.  How do you like that handguard?  I'm thinking about getting one for my clone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nice.  How do you like that handguard?  I'm thinking about getting one for my clone.
View Quote
The MI handguard is both aesthetically pleasing and functional, adding more attachment points and a higher row of MLok on the right side of the gun.  It blows away the original PTR handguard that came with the gun. I love it, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The MI handguard is both aesthetically pleasing and functional, adding more attachment points and a higher row of MLok on the right side of the gun.  It blows away the original PTR handguard that came with the gun. I love it, you won't be disappointed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price is not bad at all, either. I think I'll be getting one, myself.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 3:52:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks to the excellent pictures in this thread I just bought one too.

I was on the fence between the PTR and an Omega.  I guess the PTR reputation with their 308 offerings won me over.  The Omega seemed like the bigger gamble.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree.  That MI hand guard looks really good on the MP5.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Any aftermarket ambi selectors for lefties?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Any aftermarket ambi selectors for lefties?
View Quote
HK Parts has 2 or 3, but they sho' ain't cheap (~$75).
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Once PTR offers one without the rail, and with a sling mount where it's supposed to be, I'll be a buyer... More Zenith's are expected in soon, but owning different PTR models, I would take one over any other type hands down. PTR builds a great gun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:22:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm waiting to see if PTR will ever make a K clone.  Definitely would be down for a K with the navy barrel.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, my wallet says ordering one of these from Atlantic is way too easy.

Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm waiting to see if PTR will ever make a K clone.  Definitely would be down for a K with the navy barrel.
View Quote
Hope we get some news come SHOT show, this would be awesome...
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#40]
For those with the new PTR, I see that it comes with mlok handguards. Does the receiver have the usual hole for the push pin that would hold the classic looking wide handguard for the MP5?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For those with the new PTR, I see that it comes with mlok handguards. Does the receiver have the usual hole for the push pin that would hold the classic looking wide handguard for the MP5?
View Quote
Yes, the hole is there so you can use either handguard. I have both but prefer the MLok as I have it set up with a green laser. It's ridiculously easy to hit very accurately with the laser.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#42]
These sure look nice.  I think I'm set on K gun, but these are certainly a good value at $1,700 with everything you get.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Picked mine up today...It's very nice.  I'll shoot it tomorrow, and have already ordered a backpack for transport during road trips plus MLOK attachments for a two point sling and a TLR-1 white light.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@wayne1one

What kind of light and mount setup do you have on it?
View Quote
Surefire 300M/pressure switch, with thorntail offset mount.  The switch is attached with a Magpul MLOK tape switch mount.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
Awesome.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Great video.  I too have a Surefire suppressor and was thinking about getting a PTR 9ct to use as a host as I can’t get the suppressor to run on anything else...even after a trip back to Surefire.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:22:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Great video.  I too have a Surefire suppressor and was thinking about getting a PTR 9ct to use as a host as I can’t get the suppressor to run on anything else...even after a trip back to Surefire.
View Quote
That suppressor is literally the most finicky suppressor that I've ever dealt with.  It only like hot loads out of Glocks, subsonic loads equals jam-o-matic..
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I picked up mine and made the following observations:

The good:
Little to no mag wobble.
Very nice welds.  No, really, they are outstanding.
Excellent spray on finish and presentation by PTR.  
Trigger is very nice and not heavy at all.  
Cocking tube is straight in the front sight tower with no cant.
Bolt carrier and assembly all look new.

The bad:
The gun is not 100% new.  The trigger pack is a modified HK unit and my hammer (marked with an X) has obviously seen quite a bit of use and dry firing from a previous life.  I suspect some parts under that new finish are also recycled HK parts.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The front shelf has a very light radius and pinned and clipped grip housings may need extra material removed from the corners to seat fully.  Mine did.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My cocking tube, while straight, is clocked too far downward.  I had to relieve the edges of both a wide handguard and the cocking handle to get it all to fit.  I tried both a HK/POF and US made handguard so it is definitely the gun or the cocking handle.  The handguard and cocking handle are the cheap parts so they had modifications to make it all work.
Attachment Attached File

Overall, I'm happy.

Lessons learned:
HK furniture, even POF made furniture, is better than US made furniture.  It is difficult to explain but even though the US stuff looks nicer, the POF and HK stuff is sturdier and seems to be glass filled nylon while the US stuff seems to be lighter weight plastic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top