Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2019 6:41:57 PM EDT
So long story short I made the mistake of letting a friend of a friend come shooting with us one day. I believe the mount came loose and started skipping rounds off baffles. The shooter, being new, didn’t acknowledge the issue (was loading mags) and continued firing into the dirt until the “end cap” took a solid strike and pulled the front apart at a couple of the 4 welds.

Trying to clean shit out and tired of looking at it, mail it to the NFA branch with a letter requesting de-register? Can I just toss the parts in the garbage? Does anyone have a need for the intact front mount portion? Can I even transfer that part without an F4?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
For some reason I want to say @Bama-shooter had an Omni? If you do and have a use for the mount part let me know.

End cap strike.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Any reason you haven't tried to be have it repaired? Even if AAC won't touch it you should be able to find someone who will do some repair work and get you a functional suppressor. I'd rather have a repaired can that wasn't as efficient (maybe throw it on a 5.7 or something) than a $200 stamp for scrap metal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it is easier to get new than repair. Could send it back and see what they say, but seems it was UBD and not defect.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven’t had luck with AAC’s customer service on second-hand suppressors. I have an EVO 9 as well I had questions on proper fixed barrel spacer dimensions for and they refused to disclose it so I could confirm I had the right one as it was loose.

I only paid $300 for it to begin with (stamp aside) so didn’t plan on giving them any more of money. Figured with how the welds tore material off the front tube that a fix would either be not feasible or the cost of a newer/better can.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't had luck with AAC's customer service on second-hand suppressors. I have an EVO 9 as well I had questions on proper fixed barrel spacer dimensions for and they refused to disclose it so I could confirm I had the right one as it was loose.

I only paid $300 for it to begin with (stamp aside) so didn't plan on giving them any more of money. Figured with how the welds tore material off the front tube that a fix would either be not feasible or the cost of a newer/better can.
View Quote
It doesn't cost anything but time to check w/ AAC.  With the time it takes to process a new one I'd try to see if they can fix it w/o going through that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Weld it back up see what happens

You got nothing to lose
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
There is probably someone out there that could fix her.  She might be a little shorter in the end though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:46:14 AM EDT
[#9]
@Atlmike can y'all help this man?

This might get better traction in the Silencer subforum, OP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I just had an AAC silencer that AAC said was damaged beyond repair repaired by Curtis Tactical in Ohio, you might give them a call and get a quote.

https://curtistactical.com/index.html
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
1. Your friend owes you a can.
2. Contact Curtis Tactical and see if he can repair it into a K 5.56 can. He should be able to salvage enough of the tube and make a new thread mount for it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
If it was a YHM can you'd get a free replacement with free stamp.

I still dont understand how they can do it with how low most of their cans are priced. Seems like the $200 stamp cost would be more than their profit from the original sale
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, I'd see if it can be salvaged.  If it winds up coming back a bit shorter take pride in having a one of a kind no one else has.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, I'd see if it can be salvaged.  If it winds up coming back a bit shorter take pride in having a one of a kind no one else has.
View Quote
This
Contact mike after SHOT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top