Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/5/2017 11:28:53 PM EDT
New to the big boy's arena of 50 BMG.

I recently purchased my "Grail" gun, and I'm anxious to get it set up.  I have the mounts and optic.  How does a new shooter bore sight without spending a small fortune in sensing rounds?  Is a commercial tool available to get me on-paper at 600m?  Any input from the experienced members is appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Remove the upper from the lower. Set up sandbags or something similar to rest the upper. Look down the barrel at something roughly 100 yds away. Adjust scope to see the same thing through the scope that you are seeing down the barrel.
This method will get you on an 8"x11" piece of paper without firing a shot.

Make sure the barrel is in the assembled, extended configuration.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand the concept, but the barrel is covered by the upper assembly.  Do you know of a laser boresight or something similar I could use with the rifle assembled?  I have smaller arbors I use with other rifles, and a reflective target at 30m to get me on paper at 100m.  Thank you for your feedback!
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand the concept, but the barrel is covered by the upper assembly.  Do you know of a laser boresight or something similar I could use with the rifle assembled?  I have smaller arbors I use with other rifles, and a reflective target at 30m to get me on paper at 100m.  Thank you for your feedback!
View Quote
It won't matter that the upper covers the barrel. All you  are doing is looking down the barrel and  through the scope.
No need to buy a boresighter that you will use once.
I used this method a lot when our $2500  boresighter was sent out for calibration or repair.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Use the 1-shot sight-in method that works at any range where you can see point-of-impact.

Research it - I'm tired of telling how to do it - its so simple its hard to believe by most shooters.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you, Sir!  I'll give it a shot this weekend!  I appreciate your insight and feedback!
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a cheep laser bore daughter off amazon. Come.  It looks like a 50 bmg case with laser in the middle.  It will work well.

Once you get sighted in.  Come back and put the laser sighter in and see where it hits at what ever distance you can work with.   Mark where the crosshairs hit and where the beam hits.  Then lf you have question about zero.  You go back to your work  space put up your "target " and verify  that the two points still line up.

There is really no way to get away with out  shooting at your intended range.  A way that works somewhat. Once on paper go out to 100 yards.  Put your crosshair  in center of target.  Fire a shot.  Reline the crosshairs to the same point them move them to where the bullet hit.  Fire again at center of target you should be close to right on.  Do this out as far as you can see the bullet holes.  Use new target every time you move the distance.   This works OK. With the least amount of shots
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top