Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2022 6:14:14 PM EDT
Dumb questions boys. Got a 7.62 suppressor on a 5.56 rifle. Do I buy a 5.56 rod or 7.62 rod to check alignment? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
556 or look down the barrel.

The rod should be the bore size of the gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
556 or look down the barrel.
View Quote

Thanks man. I installed the muzzle device myself. Just real worried about a baffle strike on a 1000 dollar suppressor ??
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks man. I installed the muzzle device myself. Just real worried about a baffle strike on a 1000 dollar suppressor ??
View Quote

Like I tell my wife…

Relax n let it happen.

ETA: If it makes you feel better you have lots of over-bore with a 556 barrel and 762 can.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Like I tell my wife…

Relax n let it happen.

ETA: If it makes you feel better you have lots of over-bore with a 556 barrel and 762 can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I tell my wife…

Relax n let it happen.

Lol I know buddy. Just worried about it. Probably for no reason. But just want to make sure 100%
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Save yourself the money, clear your rifle in accordance with the user manual and just do a visual bore check with a 30 caliber can on a 5.56mm gun.  No need for the rod.  If you can't see the bore, or can't look through the breech side, you can put white paper on the open bolt face and reflect light into the chamber and bore with that for a muzzle side check.  

Odds are you have plenty of clearance and it will be clear when you see it. Money and time saved.
View Quote

From someone that manufactures and sells those rods…
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

From someone that manufactures and sells those rods…
View Quote

Why not compete for market share for a product that is easy to make? Who gives two shits if they think it's "worth" the money?

@Green0 can sit here and swear up and down that alignment rods aren't worth it. Thousands of people will still run out and buy alignment rods regardless. Why not make them?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Just make sure you used shims when installing the muzzle device and not a crush washer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to just visually check or use the light method (checking the circle on the wall).  I bought a set of rods from McMaster-Carr for under $40 (prices may have changed).

For reference:

8893K231 (9mm)
8893K219 (.30)
8893K191 (.22)
8893K254 (.45)

They all worked/fit perfectly.  They are 3' long which isn't very convenient for checking a pistol-length barrel (at least you should only have to do it once).  You could always cut down if you want a shorter length.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I appreciate saving a dollar like everyone else.  Most people will be able to easily visually check a subcaliber application.  Someone with a ball hitch backed into my truck in the parking lot and I changed my bumper last night- the chrome stamped veneer thing that looks like a bumper.  

I really don't appreciate Ford Engineers now. haha  That was like a 6 hour job- seemed like bunch of plastic, some rubber stuff, 60 fasteners and every metal one had a threaded clip, none of the holes were extruded tapped holes directly in the sheet metal to save all the dicking around with worn out single use designed clips.  I think I'll use the dealership for the next one- if someone backs into my truck in the parking lot again.  I drive a company truck so it's not even 100% my money if I repair it with a dealership.

I saw this youtube video and it showed 6 bolts, but that doesn't include moving all the trim and plastic and brackets and fog lights to the new part.  There has to be a better way to design that bumper.
View Quote

The classic body shop fender bender scam. Seriously, itemizing the cost of every one of those individual pieces on the repair bill its depressing.  No wonder they don't do full on paint jobs and tie up a booth all day when they can scam insurance companies with 4 to 6 of those fender bender jobs instead. Its almost like the body shops and the vehicle designers are in lock step together on that one.

Anyway, sorry for the slight thread derail.  

OP unless you have a foreign made AK with a grossly non concentric bore or thread job a check rod is usually not a requirement especially with a 5.56 barrel hosting a 30 cal suppressor.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a bunch of rods that I feel are useless now. Legit take the upper off or look through the barrel if it's installed. If you see anything than a perfect circle when looking directly in the middle from the inside of the barrel to the suppressor, than it's not aligned.

Rods can be very deceiving.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I used to just visually check or use the light method (checking the circle on the wall).  I bought a set of rods from McMaster-Carr for under $40 (prices may have changed).

For reference:

8893K231 (9mm)
8893K219 (.30)
8893K191 (.22)
8893K254 (.45)

They all worked/fit perfectly.  They are 3' long which isn't very convenient for checking a pistol-length barrel (at least you should only have to do it once).  You could always cut down if you want a shorter length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For reference:

8893K231 (9mm)
8893K219 (.30)
8893K191 (.22)
8893K254 (.45)

I don't understand why MC rods have gotten such a bad rap.

Quoted:
Rods can be very deceiving.

Only to people who don't know how to employ them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top