Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2018 1:04:49 PM EDT
What’s a great boot to get to be part of my kit?

I generally just throw on some old Keens or Red Wing safety toes that I use for work when I go to training. But I have a couple hundred bucks of my employers boot allowance I need to spend or loose it and I have plenty of work boots.

I do have large feet (14d) if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Solomon Quest 4D Goretex. I'm on my second pair. They're very lightweight and durable; comfortable to run in. My first pair were a couple years old, replaced prematurely (puppy related incident). I bought the "Forces" model as a replacement. Comfort and durability is what matters to me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Belleville boots. Light weight and tough.

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Solomon Quest 4D Goretex. I'm on my second pair. They're very lightweight and durable; comfortable to run in. My first pair were a couple years old, replaced prematurely (puppy related incident). I bought the "Forces" model as a replacement. Comfort and durability is what matters to me.
View Quote
Came to post Salomon
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a heads up if you're interested in Danner boots at all, today through Monday they have 25% off sitewide.  I had been needing some for work so it was a happy coincidence.

Danner Boots
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Boots are very dependent on the indiviidual. Foot size, shape, arch,,,,, all come into play.  Some of these can be resolved with a good insert.  It’s best to try a bunch of different brands on to see what fits and feels right to you.  Hopefully some place near has a good selection
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I own 4 different pairs of Danner boots and have been very happy. I will say two things though. First, I would not consider myself to have wide feet but with danner boots, I have to order the EE width. Also, I would get them when they go on sale like the other post said. 25% off now. They also run clearance sells a few times a year.  Prolly wouldn't pay full price for a pair.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Garmont T8 and T8 NFS are the only boots I have purchased over the previous 5 or so years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Question for those with the Salomon XA Forces boot. I recently got the gortex ones and I was wondering if the non-gortex would make a huge difference in how hot my feet get?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 4 pair Salomon 4D (2 civy colors, 2 military colors) 3 Goretex, 1 non Goretex. Also have Salomon Light Assault Boots (incredibly light), and a pair of Salomon Ultras. Salomon are the best boots I have ever used but the key is just finding a boot that fits you. Most Salomons are not going to fit a true wide foot but for somone with a wide forefoot and narrower heel, they are great. If Keens in Wide fit you, stick to them.

I had Danners and they are way too narrow in the regular width. If you want to try on Salomon 4D, try your local REI, but fit trumps everything else, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Question for those with the Salomon XA Forces boot. I recently got the gortex ones and I was wondering if the non-gortex would make a huge difference in how hot my feet get?
View Quote
A noticable difference, but not a huge one, IMO. Socks make a bigger difference. You dont want any wool in a hot weather sock, IMO. Your sock should be a thin, 100% synthetic, wicking sock, whet overheating is your concern. I am a huge wool advocate for any temp under 85F.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Salomon.  I used to be big into wearing the military style duty boot.  Hell I wore Belleville and Danner military boots in the military for a long time.  When I got out of the Marine Corps I kept wearing those style boots because why not?  One day I decided to try some Salomons on the recommendation of a buddy and I never looked back. Just the reduction in weight alone is huge.  Comfort is far better.  I haven't noticed a reduction in "toughness" going from a mil style boot to a Salomon either.  Merrell is also an option infact I'm in a pair of Merrel Moab vents right now but they don't have the rep that Salomons have.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm. It seeing any real places local that will have the Salomons I was interested in.  So I guess I'd have to order online.  So how do the sizes match up with regular hiking boots?   I tend to buy New Balance for the comfort but don't want to wear those to the range.

also where is the best place online to order?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Garmont T8 and T8 NFS are the only boots I have purchased over the previous 5 or so years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm. It seeing any real places local that will have the Salomons I was interested in.  So I guess I'd have to order online.  So how do the sizes match up with regular hiking boots?   I tend to buy New Balance for the comfort but don't want to wear those to the range.

also where is the best place online to order?
View Quote
I've had good luck ordering through Amazon.  If they don't fit returning is easy and fast.  I found my Salomons to fit in the same size I order regular duty boots.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Asolo fugitive gtx
Am and still very partial to Salomon and wear 99% of time but when i need them the Asolos are very comfy, keep feet dry, dry quickly and clean up well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]
On the non-gtx boot question:  definitely a difference.

Boots are so subjective to the individual.  The best thing to do, as someone mentioned, is go to a big retailer who stocks a bunch of the major brands and try them all on.  You'd be surprised at how much of a difference that makes.  You might go in there thinking you want a certain pair, based on what you've heard, but then your feet might change your mind!

I've gone to towns, by big bases, and found the outlets that have all the usual suspects in stock.  What I found actually fit me was surprise.  My mind was all set on a certain brand, but then I found out what actually fit my particular feet.

If you don't have ready access to these stores, then find a big on line store with liberal return policy and order a bunch.

I could tell you I love this brand, or hate this other one, but it might not be what YOU need.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I got a pair of Salomon Quest 4Ds today.  I'm sure people will hate me but I had an REI about 45miles away.  It allowed me to try them out and I liked them.  So I bought them.  Hopefully they live up to the price tag.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Why would we hate you? You will love them. Im considering getting a 5th pair of 4D Quest boots. My 6 year old grey civi pair I bought for my first pair is finally wearing out. That pair is goretex and a 13 and fit perfect  I have found that my non Goretex black military Quest 4D boots in size 13 were a bit loose. My civilian size 13 Goretex green boots fit perfect again. After that, my military tan/burro Quest 4D goretex lined were purchased in size 13 and fit perfect,

My other boots were military, Jungle Ultra and Speed Assault boots, both non Goretex purchased in size 12.5 and fit perfect, though the last of the Ultra was a little narrower in the forefoot and noneof my non-goretex boots get used with thick socks. So for me, the military Forces or Civilian boots boots are just a hair larger, almost a half size, but not quite, in non-goretex lined versions, compared to my Goretex Salomon boots across 3 boot lines.

If you like your civilian boots, I suggest a tan/burro Forces/military pair for a second pair. I wear them as casual boots, with jeans, and noone thinks they are military. If my boots come up in conversations about backpacking with people, everyone has said they thought they were just brown hiking boots and didnt notice the all brown sole, no reflectivity in the boot or laces, and non-colored/subdued Contragrip and other wording, until I point it out to them. Even true for backpacking gear store employees who recognize and own civilian Salomon boots.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Forces line of boots, which has lost a lot of lines and colors because Salomon removed them in recent years, will eventually die out or consolidate to an even smaller selection. So buy some while you can.

The Forces line has been removed from Promotive/Experticity pricing, but if you are LE/Military, the boots are 40% discounted at the moment through Expericity, though availability is spotty, the shipping takes a couple weeks, the price is always changing, and shipping and tax will cost an extra $12. Still, if you are paying over $160 out the door for a pair of Quest 4D and know your size (no returns) its the cheapest way to get the current production Quest 4D civilian boots.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why would we hate you? You will love them. Im considering getting a 5th pair of 4D Quest boots. My 6 year old grey civi pair I bought for my first pair is finally wearing out. That pair is goretex and a 13 and fit perfect  I have found that my non Goretex black military Quest 4D boots in size 13 were a bit loose. My civilian size 13 Goretex green boots fit perfect again. After that, my military tan/burro Quest 4D goretex lined were purchased in size 13 and fit perfect,

My other boots were military, Jungle Ultra and Speed Assault boots, both non Goretex purchased in size 12.5 and fit perfect, though the last of the Ultra was a little narrower in the forefoot and noneof my non-goretex boots get used with thick socks. So for me, the military Forces or Civilian boots boots are just a hair larger, almost a half size, but not quite, in non-goretex lined versions, compared to my Goretex Salomon boots across 3 boot lines.

If you like your civilian boots, I suggest a tan/burro Forces/military pair for a second pair. I wear them as casual boots, with jeans, and noone thinks they are military. If my boots come up in conversations about backpacking with people, everyone has said they thought they were just brown hiking boots and didnt notice the all brown sole, no reflectivity in the boot or laces, and non-colored/subdued Contragrip and other wording, until I point it out to them. Even true for backpacking gear store employees who recognize and own civilian Salomon boots.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Forces line of boots, which has lost a lot of lines and colors because Salomon removed them in recent years, will eventually die out or consolidate to an even smaller selection. So buy some while you can.

The Forces line has been removed from Promotive/Experticity pricing, but if you are LE/Military, the boots are 40% discounted at the moment through Expericity, though availability is spotty, the shipping takes a couple weeks, the price is always changing, and shipping and tax will cost an extra $12. Still, if you are paying over $160 out the door for a pair of Quest 4D and know your size (no returns) its the cheapest way to get the current production Quest 4D civilian boots.
View Quote
There was a big REI hate push after they announced removing products after the florida school shootings.  I didn't even know there was one near me.
The Quest 4D I got was the tan/beige version.  I was worried because I saw the pictures on the REI site and they looked very bright.  Once I saw them in store they are not even close to the pictures.  They are very subdued and darker.  Much closer to what I was hoping for.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
You mentioned Keen so I wanted to share these. Mine have the safety toe but Keen is making the same boot without a safety toe.

The only down side is the goretex lining, which is hot for me.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the Salomon, but want something more durable.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I like lowa boots.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I wear Salomons for work, hunting, and hiking exclusively.  I bought a pair of their new 670-1 approved ones ( cant remember the name) and they are destroying my feet.  Im not sure if they changed something in the way they are made but those fit way differently than my other three pairs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wear Salomons for work, hunting, and hiking exclusively.  I bought a pair of their new 670-1 approved ones ( cant remember the name) and they are destroying my feet.  Im not sure if they changed something in the way they are made but those fit way differently than my other three pairs.
View Quote
They may just need broken in.  So my Quests that I got, the left boot was super comfortable while the right was a bit stiff and hard on my foot.  2 things.  1: I've been wearing them every day to break them in and they are getting much better.  2: I'm not sure if the lace pattern/latches are similar to the quest, but adjust the tension near the point of stiffness can alleviate pressure points.
I had some stiffness near the mid section of my feet.  So I didn't pull the laces tight in that area but was still able to pull them tight everywhere else and my book fits better.  Again less stress at that point.

I wouldnt give up on them yet.  I guess if you have a narrow return policy, I'd probably return them and try another pair.

*see my updated post below for end results*
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I recently got a pair of these 5.11 SPEED 3.0 DARK COYOTE RAPID DRY BOOT and love them for work. Lightweight, comfortable and a great deal at $89 bucks. These are my new go to boots, can't be beat at this price.
Gonna get the waterproof 1's also for $129 in a few days for the rain season.

5.11 SPEED 3.0 DARK COYOTE RAPID DRY BOOT
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m restricted by army regulation on choices, but for the three years I’ve been a grunt, Rocky S2Vs are the only boots I’ve found that I liked, and the only boots I wear anymore.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Worth viewing regarding boot selection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvi3yzimZ4
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’m restricted by army regulation on choices, but for the three years I’ve been a grunt, Rocky S2Vs are the only boots I’ve found that I liked, and the only boots I wear anymore.
View Quote
They're my go to boot. Did the Nijmegen, Bataan and a few other marches on them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#29]
So little update on mine.  I had purchased the Salomon Quest 4D end of last month.  I noticed that on the arch my my right foot was SUPER stiff and digging into my foot.  I tried loosening my laces in certain areas and different lacing techniques and it helped but it was always there.  
So I went back to REI and tried on another pair.  This had the exact same problem.  The right boot had a noticeable hard spot in the arch on the inside portion of the boot.  The left was just fine.  I ended trading the Quest 4Ds for a pair of Vasque Breeze III GTX instead.   They fit super comfortable out of the box.

Whats funny is that I just received 3 pairs of boots through Amazon Prime Wardrobe for 7 days in home testing at no cost.  I ordered a pair of Salomon Quest Prime GTX boots.  I put on the same boot size and amazingly they felt perfect right out of the box.  No super stiff arch on the right boot.  I've been testing them out for a few days in my house and they continue to be perfect.

So it almost seems like Salomon used some different mold on the Question 4Ds than my Prime GTX boots.  Or at least the right boot was molded differently.  I noticed a few people complaining online about the same issue of not fitting the same as their previous version or needing to go with Wides.
I'm going to keep the Prime GTX from Amazon and return the other 2 pair before my trial period ends.  So if you are interested in trying out some boots and have Amazon Prime, check to see if the boots/shoes you are interested in are Prime Wardrobe eligible.  No extra cost to try them in home for 7 Days.  You just tell Amazon which items you are keeping and which you are returning.  The shipping box is also the return box and they include a prepaid shipping label.  So no extra cost there either.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They're my go to boot. Did the Nijmegen, Bataan and a few other marches on them.
View Quote
I bought the jungles recently since they’re supposed to be just the S2Vs but a little more breathable and lightweight.

Nah. They run a half size up, have a heel lift, and a higher arch. They’re essentially a fancy version of the basic issue boots.  They’re my new garrison boot.

Going to have to buy normal S2Vs in the brown color soon in order to stay in regs once the tan color goes out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They may just need broken in.  So my Quests that I got, the left boot was super comfortable while the right was a bit stiff and hard on my foot.  2 things.  1: I've been wearing them every day to break them in and they are getting much better.  2: I'm not sure if the lace pattern/latches are similar to the quest, but adjust the tension near the point of stiffness can alleviate pressure points.
I had some stiffness near the mid section of my feet.  So I didn't pull the laces tight in that area but was still able to pull them tight everywhere else and my book fits better.  Again less stress at that point.

I wouldnt give up on them yet.  I guess if you have a narrow return policy, I'd probably return them and try another pair.

*see my updated post below for end results*
View Quote
Ive put some more miles on them and they are growing on me.  I did the old dress sock trick and did 5 miles with a 70lb ruck and didn't get any more blisters.  I ordered some imjimji sock liners (the creepy toe sock type!) and I will give those a try this weekend if I have a chance.  I think that I am going to try to soak them and wear them dry next.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I bought the jungles recently since they’re supposed to be just the S2Vs but a little more breathable and lightweight.

Nah. They run a half size up, have a heel lift, and a higher arch. They’re essentially a fancy version of the basic issue boots.  They’re my new garrison boot.

Going to have to buy normal S2Vs in the brown color soon in order to stay in regs once the tan color goes out.
View Quote
I really wanted to try the jungles but I've heard a lot of comments like this.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well I got a pair of Salomon Quest 4Ds today.  I'm sure people will hate me but I had an REI about 45miles away.  It allowed me to try them out and I liked them.  So I bought them.  Hopefully they live up to the price tag.
View Quote
Thats my next boot purchase.
I've heard nothing but good about them.

Also recommended for carrying a ruck to. Lot's of support with the sole of the boot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Also recommended for carrying a ruck to. Lot's of support with the sole of the boot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my updated comments.  They seem to run a bit narrow.  I bought another line of Salomons in the same size and fit perfectly.  It seems like they used a different shoe mold for the Quest 4Ds.  So I would HIGHLY recommend that you try them on before buying.  
Thats why I'm glad I had a place semi local to try them on and was allowed to return them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
See my updated comments.  They seem to run a bit narrow.  I bought another line of Salomons in the same size and fit perfectly.  It seems like they used a different shoe mold for the Quest 4Ds.  So I would HIGHLY recommend that you try them on before buying.  
Thats why I'm glad I had a place semi local to try them on and was allowed to return them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I caught after my post when I finished reading the thread.

Yours so far was the only really bad I've heard so far .

I've asked several Spec.Ops people  ( because they have much more freedom to choose their own equipment ) and the ones I've asked all said Salomon .

Because of your experience I'm Deffinitly going to try on and see about wearing in house for possible return if needed.

Maybe they were having a large demand and let the QC dept. slack off.

Wouldn't be the first time a company has done it in order to increase revenue .

Thanks for posting your experience with them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've asked several Spec.Ops people  ( because they have much more freedom to choose their own equipment ) and the ones I've asked all said Salomon .

Because of your experience I'm Deffinitly going to try on and see about wearing in house for possible return if needed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you get Amazon Prime Wardrobe for free.   So you can try them out in home for 7 days.  Thats how I was able to try my other pair of Salomons that I ended up keeping.  You have to have a minimum of 3 Prime Wardrobe items to use the service.
Quest 4D 3 GTX
https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Quest-Backpacking-Boots/dp/B074KM2GJ3/

Quest Prime GTX - The pair I ended up going with and keeping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZLN95BG/
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you are an Amazon Prime member, you get Amazon Prime Wardrobe for free.   So you can try them out in home for 7 days.  Thats how I was able to try my other pair of Salomons that I ended up keeping.  You have to have a minimum of 3 Prime Wardrobe items to use the service.
Quest 4D 3 GTX

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quest 4D 3 GTX

I do have prime but never knew about that.
Thanks again !
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same but only have one pair. I got interested in Solomon Quest 4D Forces when I saw another fellow Marine wearing them and we struct up a conversation about them and found the boots online and bought them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top