Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2018 12:31:09 AM EDT
does this exist?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Or do what we do and cut the brim back on your issue boonies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This, and it would be super easy / cheap to pay someone to run a piece of binding tape around the edge to keep it looking good / minimize fraying.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1

Or get a british one in MTP pattern
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife, brother, and I have he Tyr boonie. Expensive, but it kicks the crap out of anything else with regards to breathability, which is especially important here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
There was a Vietnam Vet, Slangvel, making custom boonies for awhile, all sorts of customizations.  [email protected] I believe.    Anyhoooo, he could make you a short brim boonie, add the Murdock-mfg Multicam Jacquard woven camo webbing in 3/4" for garnish loopage instead of folded/sewn fabric or roller-printed webbing.
Slangvel Custom Boonies
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

And if you’re inclined with a sewing machine just inseam the end he on it and see it back on with the smaller brim. Super easy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a couple of these on ebay ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-FORCES-SHORT-BRIMMED-MULTICAM-MTP-BUSH-HAT-BRIM-BOONIE-SUN-TROPICAL-SF/291025717878?hash=item43c27c0a76:m:mqllorjUvtlfT4kQk57nsrA

(I have no affiliation to the seller)

They are a much lighter material than all of the USGI type boonies I have;  and if memory serves, they run a little on the small side...
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was a Vietnam Vet, Slangvel, making custom boonies for awhile, all sorts of customizations.  [email protected] I believe.    Anyhoooo, he could make you a short brim boonie, add the Murdock-mfg Multicam Jacquard woven camo webbing in 3/4" for garnish loopage instead of folded/sewn fabric or roller-printed webbing.
Slangvel Custom Boonies
View Quote
I have 4 of his boonies, 1 was a total custom job for me to wear to the range and keep the sun off of me. Highly recommend Slangvel!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If it doesn't have to be Multicam webbing, but folded and sewn Multicam fabric acceptable, just get a Crye Boonie for about $35.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:17:03 AM EDT
[#11]
what about the propper brand, Gen II's?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 Slangval hats and both are worth the money.

This thread reminded me to email him and see if he'll do one in DCU.

eta - Has anyone contacted him lately? I sent an email a while back that I now just remembered and didn't ever hear back. Sent another yesterday and nothing. Is he still using that email, because normally he was pretty responsive.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I also say "Slangvel".  Me and my wife have his hats.  Amazing job!
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Some of you guys are finishing the raw edge after cutting down.  This defeats the purpose of good camo, IMHO.  The frayed edge gives a nice fuzzy look to the thing, much like jute in ghillie cloaks.  So why put a nice round, perfectly finished edge on something that frays out nicely after a few washings?

To the OP, a cut-down boonie was the norm in my day.  Even cut-down golf hats, dyed black.  Back before all this designer Gucci gear was available.

As to cost, well, I'd rather have several issue cut-down boonies (not to mention Cammie sets), than one Gucci one.  I don't really get why some people pay 100 bucks for cammies, and 40 bucks for a boonie, but hey, each to his own.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Slangvel Custom Boonies
View Quote
Came to post this. Probably buy one this summer
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]
He has an eBay store last I checked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He has an eBay store last I checked.
View Quote
He marks up slightly for eBay. Easier to just contact him directly and cut out the middle man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top