Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2018 3:09:16 PM EDT
I have a question regarding Blue Sky and CIA and a serial number on their M1 Carbines. Before I get to the serial number I wanted to ask about the two importers.

I know with Blue Sky there is always a concern that the barrel may have been punched to hard with the "Blue Sky" stamping of their name on the barrel. Did Blue Sky ever use non standard USGI parts? Would the receiver always have been USGI or would they have used a commercial receiver and parts? The reason I ask about the receiver is, I found one with a serial number 1062298. I am waiting to hear back from the owner on the serial number and if it is indeed a Standard Products receiver. I can't find anything listing that low of a serial number other than Winchester.

My question about Century Arms is about their stamping into the barrel. Is that a concern with them as it is with Blue Sky? Also did they always use standard GI parts? I read that CIA used to make their own receivers on Garands. Ihave not seen anything about Carbines.

Update on serial number on the Blue Sky import. It is a 2062298. Makes sense to me now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
1.06m would be a Winchester, probably sometimes in early 1943.

Blue Sky imported their Carbines from Korea and are all USGI.

The CAI rifles I cannot comment on as I've never seen one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1.06m would be a Winchester, probably sometimes in early 1943.

Blue Sky imported their Carbines from Korea and are all USGI.

The CAI rifles I cannot comment on as I've never seen one.
View Quote
That is what I was thinking in serial number and what I can find. It's why I was wondering if Blue Sky may have used a non standard receiver. I know CIA made their own receivers for Garand's but not sure they did this for import guns. The ones I've seen so far have been USGI receivers.

Would you be able to see Winchester under the rear sight? These sights (later sights) seem to cover manufacturer for the most part.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
How deep did CIA go with their stampings?

Are CIA Carbines that are fully USGI carbines known to be good guns?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRR Century didn't import alot or possibly any of carbines during the Korea/Israel import heyday. The ones they brought in from Guatemala 7-8 yrs ago got a light dot matrix import mark on bottom or side of BBL.

The Blue Sky heavy stamp is ugly but really doesn't effect accuracy that much. Early 90's Century hand stamped everything and were notorious for gorilla stamping so hard you could read it from the inside. I've owned a few over the yrs and they shot fine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IIRR Century didn't import alot or possibly any of carbines during the Korea/Israel import heyday. The ones they brought in from Guatemala 7-8 yrs ago got a light dot matrix import mark on bottom or side of BBL.

The Blue Sky heavy stamp is ugly but really doesn't effect accuracy that much. Early 90's Century hand stamped everything and were notorious for gorilla stamping so hard you could read it from the inside. I've owned a few over the yrs and they shot fine.
View Quote
That is good to know about Century. I have seen two or three pop up for sale and I've been cautious because of how they stamp everything. The last one I looked at had a small light stamping. Much lighter than any of the Blue Sky ones I've seen. I know collectors don't care for Blue Sky but it kind of adds to the story too. I'm ok with it.

The one I am looking at with Blue Sky is a Standard Products. Looks clean. Has the GI stock. I'm watching a few right now. I feel I have gotten good with serial numbers and spotting things.

I'm going to be buying some books soon on these rigles because my taste are all over the place with them. Shotguns too.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#6]
just remember with the imports,  anything is possible, as far as parts sourcing,

the Blue Sky were Korean, and likely 99% USGI ,

usually easy to tell, light gray park, and black nitrated or parked finish on the internals,

I have seen a few Century, and Samco imports that were very very lightly stamped on the barrel, the samco import mark was under the bayo lug,
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
just remember with the imports,  anything is possible, as far as parts sourcing,

the Blue Sky were Korean, and likely 99% USGI ,

usually easy to tell, light gray park, and black nitrated or parked finish on the internals,

I have seen a few Century, and Samco imports that were very very lightly stamped on the barrel, the samco import mark was under the bayo lug,
View Quote
The Samco will it be able to be seen with bayonet lig on or does it have to come off to see it? I've not seen that import mark yet.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Samco will it be able to be seen with bayonet lig on or does it have to come off to see it? I've not seen that import mark yet.
View Quote
under the lug, had to take the gun out the stock and move the lug to see it
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. Thank you. I guess guys could be saying no import markings and not know in some of the adds I have read. Its funny where they stamp things.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have an older CIA import that was imported well over 20 years ago. I know the history of the gun. It is a Rockola very lightly stamped on the barrel. The Blue sky issue besides heavy stamps was they imported some guns that were unserviceable.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have an older CIA import that was imported well over 20 years ago. I know the history of the gun. It is a Rockola very lightly stamped on the barrel. The Blue sky issue besides heavy stamps was they imported some guns that were unserviceable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have read that there was some problems but I can't remember what problems were mentioned. Maybe barrels being bad.

I would love a Rockola and some of less common Carbines. I have found a few but priced out of my reach right now. I would also like an IBM because I am a tech guy and find it interesting that they built rifles for the war effort.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If the stamp isn't deep then buy it. They're fine. I bought a nice one and the stamp was standard depth like I've seen on every other import. $345 for the rifle and a box of ammo. Sure beats the going rate elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:08:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the stamp isn't deep then buy it. They're fine. I bought a nice one and the stamp was standard depth like I've seen on every other import. $345 for the rifle and a box of ammo. Sure beats the going rate elsewhere.
View Quote
I wish I could find one that cheap. How long ago was that? The ones I see cheap are on Armslist and it's a scam. A Rockola for $600 and $700.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:14:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wish I could find one that cheap. How long ago was that? The ones I see cheap are on Armslist and it's a scam. A Rockola for $600 and $700.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found it last year while talking to a homeowner. He was not attached to it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Are there a group of collectors who collect Blue Sky imported guns? Has any 1911's every been brought in by Blue Sky? I have so far only seen M1 Carbines and Garand's.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are there a group of collectors who collect Blue Sky imported guns? Has any 1911's every been brought in by Blue Sky? I have so far only seen M1 Carbines and Garand's.
View Quote
collectors?

maybe, as a place holder or for a rare piece,

no 1911's were brought in by Blue Sky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top