Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2018 3:19:30 PM EDT
In case folks had not seen this article, it was surprisingly accurate.... coming from folks who are are usually completely "firearm illiterate" such as those who traditionally write pieces for Bloomberg or the mainstream media in general.  (of course there are a few mistakes sprinkled in here and there but overall its directionally correct)

Goes into the background of transferables,  Frank’s /Midwest Tactical's history, the capital appreciation gains that machineguns have made over the past 20+ years, and the folks who "invest" in them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-04-05/how-one-man-got-rich-buying-and-selling-machine-guns-in-america
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I did not like the bit quoted below. It shows the perspective of the writer.

"That may make Goepfert one of the best sources of information outside the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives when it comes to who has a machine gun in America"
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did not like the bit quoted below. It shows the perspective of the writer.

"That may make Goepfert one of the best sources of information outside the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives when it comes to who has a machine gun in America"
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Also notice the "Colt 601" is missing the sear and has a big screw. Looks more like a SP-1 versus the 1959-1960 Colt 601's.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Backspace.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why?
I’m not saying that is being said verbatim but I think there is an underlying tone. Would he have said the below if he were talking about classic cars or some other collectible?

And while the government keeps a record of automatic weapons, it’s not public.
This translates to the government has a list but the public doesn’t have access. However the public has a need to know.

That may make Goepfert one of the best sources of information outside the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives when it comes to who has a machine gun in America.
This translates to Machine guns are dangerous. The public should know who has one. Frank has so many guns pass through his hands (or someone like him) would be a great resource for info to put a list together.

You may think I’m getting a little ahead of myself with this. On one hand you are right but then again don’t kid yourself, the antis would love to have a list (through official means or otherwise). Remember the names of the CCW permit holders that was published without permission.

Don’t take this as a jab at Frank. I wish he had not done the article but don’t know him at all. He is probably a great guy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely nothing positive can come from this IMO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh the power of the almighty dollar....
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it just me or are they trying to make MGs sound more common than they are?

Most non-gun people think they are illegal, unless you have the rare "Class III" license (lol).

I don't like it either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Bringing more buyers to a smaller pool. This will not be good for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bringing more buyers to a smaller pool. This will not be good for the rest of us.
View Quote

I can only assume that was the primary benefit/purpose of this article.  If you are a dealer and transferable machinegun prices have stagnated to a certain extent since 41F came into affect, its in your financial best interest to see if you can bring new folks into the market.

Otherwise, while the article was not bad per say.... I don't really see much benefit to the community as a whole to have an article about transferable machineguns published on a website owned by one of the most rabid anti-gun folks out there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't be fooled, this article was posted by Bloomberg. It is an anti-gun piece disguised as an article about alternative investing. While yes they are highlighting the great financial returns of owning a MG they are shedding light on the fact that civilians....any civilian can own one, even your crazy neighbor!!! Oh no!!! We should ban these! The NFA and Hughes amendment made MGs rare and hard to obtain, in doing so it allowed MG ownership to fly under the radar for decades longer that it would have. The left is now noticing and it is on their list of low hanging fruit that have little support and would be easy to ban.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This
Unless you're selling. Looks like traffic crashed his website.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Unless you're selling. Looks like traffic crashed his website.
View Quote
working fine for me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#15]
They shittiness of his web site crashed his website.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#16]
What the hell is it with saying the AR15 can be fired 45 times a minute???!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top