Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2018 5:42:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have cones in all of mine; 4140 steel and 17-4ph. I run them on 5.56 barrels from 10.5" to 16" and 300bo from 8.3" and haven't noticed any problems or premature erosion. I run YHM's new 3 port brakes on all of them.

YHM's barrel length of the Nitro is based on what muzzle device you use. If you're using a muzzle brake you can shoot the Nitro on a 10.5" with 5.56, 6.8spc, .308, and 7.62x39. With a flash hider it is limited to 16". Same goes with 300bo but you can go down to 8" with a brake. The Nitro also 17-4ph blast baffle and the Turbo and Resonator both have Inconel. That plays into it, too, but I think their barrel restrictions are consistent with other manufacturers (except for those that use Stellite or Hoplon as the blast baffle).
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the griffin paliden or mimalist taper mount brakes on all of mine. I've done many cans with a 60° cones also. After testing many configurations using a modded steel vsr with the spring retainer steps tapered and a cone shape on the tip. Also cone out the back with 60° 1" countersink you can use a shorter bc spacer. Using the same vsr as the last baffle. With both of these you will be able to improve your cone spacing for better performance along with reducing the tone of the can.

Instead of the vsr an option would be using an RSC would further improve performance overall.

I would suggest using a progressive bore along with DHC clipping style since the DHC works well on cones, vsr and the rsc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m using a titanium VSR as the blast baffle in the .22 LR can I’m currently building.  The only issue I’m having is that the best VSR I could find is about 0.998” in diameter and the tube for the can is 1.05 +/- ID, so I’m having to figure out how to secure the thing.  I’m thinking that it can’t hurt, even with .22 LR ammunition.

But since this is going on a Walther P22, the whole “adapter/flash hider/mount” question isn’t in play.  I can see how it can be a puzzle to decide if you actually need something tougher than your cones/baffles when you have - by design - a sizeable blast chamber at the muzzle end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top