Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2022 4:16:31 PM EDT
Thinking about getting one of these holsters.  The concept of their retention system is appealing. I can't tell if these holsters retain by the gun or by the light, and if the bottom is open or not.  I'm guessing they retain by the light since it can fit a wider range of models.  IIRC the Safariland holsters retain by the gun predominantly which is why you can use a holster for a 34 with a 17 and 19

That being said, I know Safariland 6000 series are considered the tried and true and I may go that route.  I'm torn between giving the Blackhawk a shot or going with the 6000 series and the 7TS series.  I'm not worried about color/pattern.  I have spray-paint or can wrap it.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting one of these holsters.  The concept of their retention system is appealing. I can't tell if these holsters retain by the gun or by the light, and if the bottom is open or not.  I'm guessing they retain by the light since it can fit a wider range of models.  IIRC the Safariland holsters retain by the gun predominantly which is why you can use a holster for a 34 with a 17 and 19

That being said, I know Safariland 6000 series are considered the tried and true and I may go that route.  I'm torn between giving the Blackhawk a shot or going with the 6000 series and the 7TS series.  I'm not worried about color/pattern.  I have spray-paint or can wrap it.  
View Quote

I've got one.  Bought it because I couldn't be absolutely sure I was going to order the right Safariland.  I think I paid around $60, on some sale, for mine, which is far less expensive than Safariland.

They retain by the light.  The bottom is open.  I'm not the expert but I can't see any issue with the T-Series.

Here's some pictures of mine.  I took the little optic cover latch off.  Sorry about the crappy photos, its dark out now, we were already goofing off in the garage and figured now's a good as time as any!

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a thicc old bastard, that's for sure.....

Yeager did a video on these when they came out. It is worth the watch.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a thicc old bastard, that's for sure.....

Yeager did a video on these when they came out. It is worth the watch.....
View Quote
Yeah I saw that one.  He hung on it till it broke was pretty funny.

Honestly doesn't seem like it's much thicker than a Safariland on a QLS mount.

I am slightly leaning towards Safariland now to be honest.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one and I like it.

Absolutely solid-no wiggle or play with my pistol holstered. G19 model.

Unsure of how it retains (light or frame)

Mine has a top plastic loop that swings down-but pistol is still secured until you depress the release trigger again. So I guess dual retention.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve tried the Blackhawk and I like it. The draw stroke is more natural. If you have a compensator or threaded barrel you don’t have to worry about the gun not fitting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Particular for the type of WML you use

Very fast and intuitive retention defeat

Kinda chunky. I don’t think it “bigger” than Safariland, but it for some reason feels that way.

I like Safariland because you have much more more options for WML and with a Nub-mod it’s super fast.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Well....I ordered one for a Glock with MRDS and TLR-1.  Might take a while to get here though but the price was right.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Well that was surpsing...it came in over the weekend.  Overall I like the holster's draw stroke.  Unfortunately I can't find my TLR-1 Glock key.  My P80 frame did work in there but the aftermarket slides doesn't fit (have AIM and Brownells slides).I need to try swapping an OEM slide onto it because I can't tell if it's a frame issue or the aftermarket slide issue.  For shits n' giggles I tried dropping my G19 w/ TLR-7a into the holster.  It works...but it will ND the light.  So if you just need it to hold the gun it'll work but you'll want to turn the bezel so the light doesn't activate.

EDIT: It's a P80 frame issue, even with an OEM glock slide on there it wouldn't fit.  Can probably mod the holster to work with it though.  The sight channel is very generous so heating it up and changing the taper point for the slide to sight channel shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#10]
The front rail section of the P80 is wider than the Glock frame. That's probably where you're getting hung up if I had to guess.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The front rail section of the P80 is wider than the Glock frame. That's probably where you're getting hung up if I had to guess.
View Quote
@Hayashi_Killian Nope, the width isn't an issue, it's an overall height issue.  The slide is contacting the taper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If Safariland is an option then Safariland is the answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top