Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/4/2018 5:01:06 PM EDT
I was looking into the Mini Boss (O9K) in the deals thread and tried to go look at the Blackhawk website for more details on the can.  All I was able to see related to silencers was Error 404!  Anybody heard anything?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Judging from their dismal sales I thought this would have happened sooner.

ETA: Acusport (wholesaler) lists their cans with a discontinued Icon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
They were just reviewed in American Rifleman too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Arms Unlimited is blowing them out at some crazy prices. Had to hide my credit card from myself.

I've read in a few different places that they are essentially SilencerCo cans wrapped in an aluminum sleeve to re-brand them, so they seem like a great deal if you don't mind the aesthetics.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Arms Unlimited is blowing them out at some crazy prices. Had to hide my credit card from myself.

I've read in a few different places that they are essentially SilencerCo cans wrapped in an aluminum sleeve to re-brand them, so they seem like a great deal if you don't mind the aesthetics.
View Quote
I've got three in my cart, but I'm hesitant due to potential service issues in the future...
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've got three in my cart, but I'm hesitant due to potential service issues in the future...
View Quote
I’ve heard that silencerco makes them, if that is true I wonder if they’ll do warranty work on them? That is the only thing holding me back at the current price.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They were just reviewed in American Rifleman too.
View Quote
Timed the market exactly wrong. I wonder what the lead time is between writing an article like that (which seems mostly like a press release), and publication.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ve heard that silencerco makes them, if that is true I wonder if they’ll do warranty work on them? That is the only thing holding me back at the current price.
View Quote
Thats why I am passing on it. There is no way sico is going to do warranty work on these.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats why I am passing on it. There is no way sico is going to do warranty work on these.
View Quote
But will Blackhawk? Its not like the whole company is folding, what kind of warranty do they offer?
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But will Blackhawk? Its not like the whole company is folding, what kind of warranty do they offer?
View Quote
I shot them an email earlier to ask, I'll post their reply when I receive it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I shot them an email earlier to ask, I'll post their reply when I receive it.
View Quote
Great, thank you!
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the mounts the same as SilencerCo mounts. I’m probably going to pick one up
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are the mounts the same as SilencerCo mounts. I’m probably going to pick one up
View Quote
Their other silencers are. I have not had this one in hand though. I imagine it is.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
The mounts are all the same as SiCo, since they are made by SiCo. The Miniboss uses Octane/Omega 9k accessories.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't care for the looks but those prices are pretty tempting, the warranty is wild card. So the Gas Can = Omega 300 but what is the SiCo equivalent of the Barrage? I assume the aftermarket Omega Ti mounts and endcaps would fit these?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:18:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Are the stacks as good as SiCo stacks, or made to lesser specs?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't care for the looks but those prices are pretty tempting, the warranty is wild card. So the Gas Can = Omega 300 but what is the SiCo equivalent of the Barrage? I assume the aftermarket Omega Ti mounts and endcaps would fit these?
View Quote
From the specs, at 6.5", it looks like the barrage is about a 556k (which is 6.2"). The Mini Boss is a little longer than the Omega 9k because of the way the front cap extends forward, I assume its the same for the barrage. Neither the 556k or the Omega9k have a front cap, so they aren't direct copies. The Mini Boss seems to be built like an Omega, with a welded baffle stack covered by a sleeve and a removable front cap, but in the design of an Omega 9k. The Barrage seems to be the same kind of thing but based off the specwar platform.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#17]
An Omega for $500?

I am tempt.

ETA: Appears to be heavier (and uglier) than an Omega. Worth it for the $300 savings?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Those discount prices are very nice.

I have a concern, perhaps silly,  if so Forgive my ignorance:

How does the aluminum over tube affect durability?

I realize they are internally welded stellite, but as the aluminum outer tube is the serialized part, what are the chances of overheating to the point of tube failure? None or could it be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I realize they are internally welded stellite, but as the aluminum outer tube is the serialized part, what are the chances of overheating to the point of tube failure? None or could it be an issue.
View Quote
I cannot find a picture that shows a serial number.. wonder if it's on the tube or the aluminum sleeve. Looking at a cut away the bafflestack is welded and the aluminum sleeve is just slid over the tube..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm rolling the dice on a Mini Boss. I want a shorter can for my 9mm AR than running my AAC TiRant 45.

I hope the warranty is not an issue. So long as Blackhawk is in business one would think they will warranty one of their products, even if discontinued.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm rolling the dice on a Mini Boss. I want a shorter can for my 9mm AR than running my AAC TiRant 45.

I hope the warranty is not an issue. So long as Blackhawk is in business one would think they will warranty one of their products, even if discontinued.
View Quote
Called them this morning and was told the suppressors were officially discontinued as of April 1.
Was also told any suppressor purchased after April 1 will NOT have blackhawks warranty.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Called them this morning and was told the suppressors were officially discontinued as of April 1.
Was also told any suppressor purchased after April 1 will NOT have blackhawks warranty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol WOW...
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Been staring at my cart all day...

I am no longer tempt

$300 extra for lifetime warranty and not the ugliest can in existence? I'm good w/ that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
How the hell do they LEGALLY do that?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Welp. Guess I'm glad I got mine when I did.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How the hell do they LEGALLY morally do that?
View Quote
Its company policy not law.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Its company policy not law.
View Quote
I'm not so sure about it being legal.. they've made no formal written statement  that I can find and all of their vendors listings still say

"GUARANTEED – BLACKHAWK! stands behind its suppressors with a Lifetime Limited Warranty."

Id imagine they could be sued for failing to honor the warranty. I've never had to send a can in for warranty, is proof of purchase normally required?

Either way I bought a mini boss.. I'm going to put it via 3-lug on my transferable m11/9.. what could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How the hell do they LEGALLY do that?
View Quote
Lots of folks do not have a warranty. Nothing illegal.

Gemtech has simply decided not to provide any written warranty.

https://gemtech.com/warranty/
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
They had a lifetime warranty and apparently revoked it as of April 1st.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The difference is Blackhawk has marketed it as warrantied, and has made no formal announcement that anybody can see that they have ceased that. It's called fraud
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
It does depend on what their actual legal warranty statement is. It can also vary by state, enforcement requirements. Many firearm manufacturer warranties aren't actual warranties.

I think the real question would be whether SilencerCo will repair them. I assume the deal between Blackhawk and SilencerCo fell apart.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The difference is Blackhawk has marketed it as warrantied, and has made no formal announcement that anybody can see that they have ceased that. It's called fraud
And now they are saying it is not warrantied after 4/1.

There is no legal requirement for a "formal announcement".

BB.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

BB.
View Quote
I would think if there is an official warranty statement in the box with the silencer, it would still be legally binding. As I said though, most gun warranties are not legally binding warranties, just "service agreements" and other phrasings that are as meaningless as Homeopathic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Well let them drop more in price. I'd bite at $250
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

BB.
View Quote
Actually yes there is, otherwise they can say they stopped offering their warranty at any point and you could not question it. They are not responsible for whether a distributor has outdated information on their website arguably, but they made a public expression of warranty that has not been rescinded in the same fashion, leaving the consumer to believe that the previous expression is in effect.

So where have they said this? Is it on their webpage? Press release? Publication in trade journals? Communications to their vendors?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Actually yes there is, otherwise they can say they stopped offering their warranty at any point and you could not question it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Actually yes there is, otherwise they can say they stopped offering their warranty at any point and you could not question it
Oh really? Care to cite it? No you cant since it does not exist.

As NightOwl says, What is stated in/on the box is what matters.

Quoted:
So where have they said this? Is it on their webpage? Press release? Publication in trade journals? Communications to their vendors?
I first read about it in this thread
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh wow, I'm going to hold off until these are $50 each. What a bunch of dumbasses.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oh really? Care to cite it? No you cant since it does not exist.

As NightOwl says, What is stated in/on the box is what matters.

I first read about it in this thread
View Quote
Is there a rep from Blackhawk in that thread?

Yes their webpage has taken down the descriptions but that doesn't negate what was previously stated.

A publicly stated written warranty is an Express Warranty

Magnuson-Moss would likely come into play.

Breach of Warranty

If the buyer took the lifetime warranty into consideration when making the buying decision it is actionable. If Blackhawk marketed a lifetime warranty and used it as a selling point they must stand behind that until such time as they reverse that. Where is the public statement on their website? Where is the notification to their vendors to state that? What reason would anybody have to know this was the new policy? The manufacturer made a representation and has done nothing to reverse that.

Now if they did post that on their webpage or issue a press release to the industry with adequate time to disseminate that, if they notified vendors to remove the warranty language, those would all be affirmative steps to alter the agreement. If they did those things and the vendor continued to represent that warranty, the vendor could be on the hook.

Blackhawk has no reason not to warranty the item unless it was sold at liquidation to the vendor with the understanding that they were no longer including a warranty, again, in which case it would be the duty of the vendor to notify the consumer. Under  no circumstances can it be assumed that it is the purchaser's responsibility to verify that the express warranty claims by both the manufacturer and vendor are still in effect.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#41]
What about vendors who have old stock in inventory, purchased at a non-discounted price, with the understanding that it included a lifetime warranty? That was factored into the unit cost. If the silencer was not sold from their inventory by April 1, the warranty is now gone? Yeah I don't see that flying. If that's Blackhawk's policy, that's shady as shit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Perfectly timed.  Well done
View All Quotes
Thank you. I'll be here all week. Please tip your server
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm tempted to buy a few.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I cannot find a picture that shows a serial number.. wonder if it's on the tube or the aluminum sleeve. Looking at a cut away the bafflestack is welded and the aluminum sleeve is just slid over the tube..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/176560/nralc-43-505390.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/176560/nralc-43-505390.JPG
That really does like an Omega with a cheaper sleeve on the outside.

Cans are not something I'm going to cheap out on though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#45]
At $330 each you can start dedicating them to specific rifles.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
At $330 each you can start dedicating them to specific rifles.
View Quote
I hear you, the only thing that holds me back is the Turbo or even the new Trek for dedicating cans.  They are priced competitively and have the backing of great companies.  Who knows what Silencerhawk Co will do in the event of an issue?

Edited for grammar
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#48]
@KitBuilder what did I miss?

I bought two.  They're cheap and light.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Nothing.
I had poor reading comprehension.
lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#50]
It happens
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top