Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2021 10:41:22 AM EDT
I  have used Thermold mags as range mags for years in my 186 Mini with no problems. Unlike Tapco, no steel reinforcement, but these are obtainable. The plastic is modern Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP), same as P-Mags, so reasonably stout.  Thermold Mini-14 mags have slots which will accept GI mag loader "Spoon".
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/57875/thermold+30+round+black+mag+for+ruger+mini+14

Disclaimer: No financial interest.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s a good price.
Numrich Gun Parts still has Tapco Mini 14 mags for $22 as well. Pic & write up looks like the gen Is but I’ve seen several posts confirming they’re gen IIs with the metal reinforcements.
Not as cheap as the Thermolds but with factory 30s running $50 these are both bargains.
Never ran the Thermolds but I’ve read plenty of posts saying they’re good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a good price.
Numrich Gun Parts still has Tapco Mini 14 mags for $22 as well. Pic & write up looks like the gen Is but I've seen several posts confirming they're gen IIs with the metal reinforcements.
Not as cheap as the Thermolds but with factory 30s running $50 these are both bargains.
Never ran the Thermolds but I've read plenty of posts saying they're good.
View Quote
If Numrich still has Tapco 30-rd mags, I suggest buying them in lieu of the Thermolds, even though more expensive.  The Gen 2 Tapcos are reinforced by a steel band around the front, top of the mag, as you note.

I bought some of the Tapco mags from Numrich, and received Gen 2 Tapco mags.  So did another poster here, about the same time.  Scroll down: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Ruger-Mini-14-mags/52-520559/
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If Numrich still has Tapco 30-rd mags, I suggest buying them in lieu of the Thermolds
View Quote

This might be a time where the ARF Mantra of "Get Both" applies...  
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Numrich still has Tapco 30-rd mags, I suggest buying them in lieu of the Thermolds

User call.  Absent a decent slip-over top-loader for Mini-14 mags, the Tapco mags must be loaded by hand, by individual rounds.  Thermolds will accept GI loader "spoon".  As against that, Tapco mags are reinforced by steel band around front of mag, reinforcing front of mag and the locating hole for receiver-mounted mag locating pin at front of mag well.  I've never seen any undue wear on my non-reinforced Thermolds at that point, but perhaps a lot more use in the future might display such.  So far, so good.

Owning both, having used both, and all things considered, I suggest the Tapco mags, while they are still available.  YMMV.  Both mags generally function properly right out of the box.

Any mag, once received, is worth taking apart, cleaning it internally, removing any plastic residue from the follower which could cause undue friction, and giving the mag spring a very light coat of CLP or similar.  Remove any manufacturing artifacts inside the mag body which might serve to cause the follower or spring to "hang-up" .  You want a follower with smooth, friction-free edges, and a mag body free of "manufacturing artifacts".  Seen many a mag body with crappy spot welds, and internal "artifacts" which caused follower to hang-up till the artifacts were carefully removed.

FWIW, I have re-habilitated a LOT of Mini-14 mags, bought during Ban years.   Many, but not all, were capable of working as designed, with a little "massage".  Some took more work than others. Someday, I might need to post a thread on how to (maybe) rehabilitate wonky magazines.  Folks at https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/ will assist for Mini-14/-30 mags.

While you all still have the opportunity, suggest avoiding all this hassle, and buy GTG mags while still available.  Some 10-rd mags are worth buying, just in case.  Suggest prices on such will be going up rapidly, and supply diminishing equally rapidly.  Suggest some 5-rd "hunting" mags as well.

Work-around for Tapco (and other mags which lack slots for GI "spoon") is Cogburn Arsenal Stripper clip loader:  https://cogburnarsenal.com/product-category/sights/

Works a lot like the similar stripper clip loader on M1A/M-14.  Not available for some models of Minis, and certainly not useable if a rail/scope/optics are installed directly atop the receiver.

This is one of the many reasons why I (and others) have installed Ultimak scout rail on our Minis.  YMMV.

Disclaimer: No financial interest.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
For the record, I did "get both"...  Ordered Sunday, Numrich shipped yesterday, Bud's has not shipped yet.  That is not a complaint, I don't know what their situation is with a pandemic and crazy weather and god knows what else.    I'm in no hurry, it's too damn cold in Iowa to shoot anyway.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
(Snip)
FWIW, I have re-habilitated a LOT of Mini-14 mags, bought during Ban years.   Many, but not all, were capable of working as designed, with a little "massage".  Some took more work than others. Someday, I might need to post a thread on how to (maybe) rehabilitate wonky magazines.  Folks at https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/ will assist for Mini-14/-30 mags.
(snip)
View Quote

@raf

I’d be really interested to hear about that. I have a few random mini mags that I need to “fix”.  I have a suspicion the idea of fixing mags may become a whole lot more appealing before long.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@raf

I'd be really interested to hear about that. I have a few random mini mags that I need to "fix".  I have a suspicion the idea of fixing mags may become a whole lot more appealing before long.
View Quote
Go to perfectunion, Mini-14/Mini-30 forum.  Many approaches there, including mine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Tapco's arrived a while back.  I'm no expert, but they do seem to be the Gen2 with the metal at the top front.

Thermold's arrived today.  They seem a little less solid than the Tapco's, and they are surprisingly short.  Maybe it's just that the Tapco's have a more pronounced baseplate.  

Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens when I get them to the range.

Quoted:
Go to perfectunion, Mini-14/Mini-30 forum.  Many approaches there, including mine.
View Quote

Did PerfectUnion ever get some damn moderators?  I gave up on it years ago, just too much awfulness...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tapco's arrived a while back.  I'm no expert, but they do seem to be the Gen2 with the metal at the top front.

Thermold's arrived today.  They seem a little less solid than the Tapco's, and they are surprisingly short.  Maybe it's just that the Tapco's have a more pronounced baseplate.  

Did PerfectUnion ever get some damn moderators?  I gave up on it years ago, just too much awfulness...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Opinions vary.  You'll have to see for yourself.  Search function there works pretty well, so suggest you use it and do some reading to see if your questions have already been addressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top