Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2022 11:21:31 AM EDT
This one should be short and sweet.  I'm sure its been answered before but I was having trouble finding the info here.

If one tube has a 64 res and the other has 72 will I notice a difference between the two tubes or can the human eye not discern?  I'm worried about potential eye fatigue due to differences between the tubes.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This one should be short and sweet.  I'm sure its been answered before but I was having trouble finding the info here.

If one tube has a 64 res and the other has 72 will I notice a difference between the two tubes or can the human eye not discern?  I'm worried about potential eye fatigue due to differences between the tubes.

Thanks!
View Quote

This, for head mounted units. If you put it in front of magnification it's a different story.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a pair of WP PVS-14s with exactly those specs and a Panobridge. I rarely use them both on the bridge, but when I do; I only notice the difference between them when I have them in panoramic mode. As a straight binocular my brain evens things out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This, for head mounted units. If you put it in front of magnification it's a different story.
View Quote

10-4

Total non issue for head mounted ground use?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have that exact combo in thin films and have never had an issue with it. You'll probably notice more difference from varying snr and ebi. For me irregardless of the combination I put the better tube over my dominate eye and the other is just depth perception.

I've also used a nice filmless tube over dominate eye and one of my thin films over the other with similar results. The filmless provides a much nicer image but my brain merges them automatically. I've only used this 2nd combo for a couple hours at a time so 8-10 hours straight might be a different story.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a pair of WP PVS-14s with exactly those specs and a Panobridge. I rarely use them both on the bridge, but when I do; I only notice the difference between them when I have them in panoramic mode. As a straight binocular my brain evens things out.
View Quote

Apologies on diverting your thread OP. Tiggles statement of "panoramic mode" above brought me curiosity. In the Panobridge article below the writer posted a photo which made me even more curious.

Is there anyone who runs two PVS14s on a bridge using one WP and one GP tube? If so, does that mess with your brain housing group or is there any advantage to it?  

"Surprisingly, using a green and white tube merged very well in my brain and didn’t cause any real fatigue."

Panoramic Night Vision

Edit: Ever notice how far the hyperlinks at the bottom of an article can take you? Dont recall ever seeing this AVS thing
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Also I think this may be a contributing factor.  There are two ways guys focus binos.  One is individually, and the other is combined, and focused for the dominant eye.  And by that I mean when focused together to suit your dominant eye, the non-dominant eye may be slightly out of focus.  Various reasons for this, people a lot smarter than me could probably tell you, but the upshot of it is your domiant eye wants it's tube a sharp focus, while the non-dominant eye can be slightly off, so it isn't "fighting" the dominant eye.  You can try this for yourself.  Focus each tube, singly, to each eye and go out and run them.  Then focus both tubes together, until dominant eye is happy.  Now go run that.  See if you can tell any noticeable difference.  Personally I find I prefer the keeping the dominant eye happy gives me less eye strain over the long haul.

Now why is this important.  Well, if you have two different tubes, get the best tube over your dominant eye, and the lesser tube over the other.  If it's slightly out of focus, it won't matter because your dominant eye is pulling from the better tube.  Of course your results may vary.  Some guys prefer to focus tubes individually so this technique might not work.  But if you have a noticeable difference maybe try this out.  At least get better tube over dominant eye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top