Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2018 10:43:26 PM EDT
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/735677451

Its just an arsenal rebuild like thousands of others.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL at that price.
View Quote
Yep I am
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The story is so full of shit its like reading a Harry Potter novel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Not far from me...wonder if he would let me look at it??
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
When someone presents a transferable as a NIB gun, I am very skeptical. I would never pay extra for something is NIB.

It it is way too easy to fake something NIB.

I remember for the longest time, a well known dealer was trying to sell a pair of NIB M16A2 for $39,000 each. I asked him how he knew it was NIB, and his reply was that they were still sealed in the bag. I called around to some guys who were armorers. No one remembers new M16s in the military arriving in bags. It's my suspicion that the bags were there to make it hard for the buyer to inspect the guns, and since the buyer would think the guns were NIB, they then would never open the bags to inspect the guns.

Its very easy to fake something NIB. Especially a modular gun like the M60. All they do is strip the gun to its registered part, and then put NOS on the gun, apply some oil, let it sit outside for a bit to obtain some old wear and patina and to even out the aged appearance, and voila, a NIB never fired gun. Or even easier is to send the entire assembled gun to US Annodizing, then no one will be able to tell. Heck they can even make it look like NOS, but in immaculate condition.

Same thing with an M16 or really any MG.

When MGs like this come up for sale, it hurts the credibility of the entire market because it just looks shady.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/735677451

Its just an arsenal rebuild like thousands of others.
View Quote
I disagree.

it's not an arsenal rebuild.

if it was, it would have a grey park instead of black, and the finish and wood would show signs of use

the park would also have a patina on it of gun oil.  70 years of the proverbial wipe with a greasy rag is going to leave oxidized oil in the finish

that gun is a fresh rebuild, probably within 5 years
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When someone presents a transferable as a NIB gun, I am very skeptical. I would never pay extra for something is NIB.

It it is way too easy to fake something NIB.

I remember for the longest time, a well known dealer was trying to sell a pair of NIB M16A2 for $39,000 each. I asked him how he knew it was NIB, and his reply was that they were still sealed in the bag. I called around to some guys who were armorers. No one remembers new M16s in the military arriving in bags. It's my suspicion that the bags were there to make it hard for the buyer to inspect the guns, and since the buyer would think the guns were NIB, they then would never open the bags to inspect the guns.

Its very easy to fake something NIB. Especially a modular gun like the M60. All they do is strip the gun to its registered part, and then put NOS on the gun, apply some oil, let it sit outside for a bit to obtain some old wear and patina and to even out the aged appearance, and voila, a NIB never fired gun. Or even easier is to send the entire assembled gun to US Annodizing, then no one will be able to tell. Heck they can even make it look like NOS, but in immaculate condition.

Same thing with an M16 or really any MG.

When MGs like this come up for sale, it hurts the credibility of the entire market because it just looks shady.
View Quote
It would be extremely easy to fake a NIB Thompson M1 or M1A1

put on a NOS barrel, have it refinished, populate with NOS parts including the wood.

parts are common and the gun is built like a tank, it will not show any deterioration except for rust
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top