Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2018 8:48:19 PM EDT
Went to my local Cabelas the other day and they had this 91/30 on clearance for $150. Rifle has a cracked stock but for the price I figured it'd be an easy fix and a fun project. I used a coupon and gift card and it cost me $127 to take it home.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So I get it home and start to take off the stock so I can get started on it, that's when the fun begins.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

...and the rifle would probably be a good shooter too

Attachment Attached File

Long story short the manager agreed to take it back and put the purchase price on a gift card. I posted about this in GD https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I-bought-a-91-30-on-clearance-from-Cabelas-then-I-got-it-home-and-out-of-the-stock-update-in-OP-/5-2174025/

...and this post made me wonder if they're all like this

Quoted:
The batch of 91/30's Cabelas got recently last 6 months or more are pretty bad, refurbs that got wet from poor storage. Exporter half-ass'd cleaned some literally wire wheeling the outside of rifle including wood to remove surface rust on recvr , sling escutcheons and buttplate-bands.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy shit that looks bad, poor rifle
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You got a steal. The ones at the store I go to are $400 and are sewer pipes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Cabelas

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You bought THAT for $150?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I would take it for parts
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The bullet goes in the barrel because it is counterbored, almost every one of them is.  The rifle is rough to say the least, but can be saved.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You bought THAT for $150?
View Quote
Yes and quickly returned it when I took it apart.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
At the end of Nov. 2018 I went into Cabelas in Tualatin, OR and found these.  Starting at $349.  Some were $399.

They were in rougher shape vs. the lots from a few years ago, with visible rust on some.   And, some were counterbored.  There were about 50 rifles in total (two were hex receivers).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....CLEARANCE at $150.  Hummm......I guess there was a reason for the low price.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I was really tempted to pick one up for $150 when I was at Cabelas a little while ago just for the parts. They had 2 at $150, and 1 at $199 that was slightly better shape. They had several at $350 and I just laughed and passed them by... expect I did look at an absolutely gorgeous 1939 Tula refurb. That stock was truly pristine, which is what caught my eye, and the bluing looked brand new. The bolt serials were ground off and never renumbered and the rest of the parts were EP'd. It wasnt worth anywhere near what they were asking, but it was a looker for sure.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Beware any of the used guns at cabelas.  Mainly on price.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#13]
meh I woulda shot it

Link Posted: 1/3/2019 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Friend of mine bought a Winchester 250(lever action .22 similar to a 190) recently. Finally took it out to try it and not only does the trigger NOT function, the safety button comes right out of the triggerguard. Of course, he couldn't try the trigger before buying.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have bought it for $125ish, but strictly to have as a wall hanger. If I went to buy a shootable rifle, and got that, I'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Friend of mine bought a Winchester 250(lever action .22 similar to a 190) recently. Finally took it out to try it and not only does the trigger NOT function, the safety button comes right out of the triggerguard. Of course, he couldn't try the trigger before buying.
View Quote
Deals can sometimes be found but are few and far between.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. He got the gun taken apart and looked over, old gummed up oil and stuff was on places it shouldn't be. Cleaned up and reassembled and it works now. At least it wasnt broken.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have done VERY good on several occasions. A couple of times I laughed after I got out of the store.............

They missed TWO US Property marks on the 513T I bought there and had it sitting in the cheapo ho hum racks. Didn't even dicker on the price........
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have done VERY good on several occasions. A couple of times I laughed after I got out of the store.............

They missed TWO US Property marks on the 513T I bought there and had it sitting in the cheapo ho hum racks. Didn't even dicker on the price........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is definitely store dependent. I get a ton of deals from my store and have become friends with all the gun library guys to the point where they keep a eye out for good deals. They had a customer who sold them a 50 and mentioned he had a couple of cases of ammo he didn't need. Put me in touch with the guy and we made a good deal.

I always laugh when I see people talking a bunch of trash because I dealt with so many crappy customers when I was selling guns. Getting to know my local guys has paid off greatly for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top