Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2018 8:53:07 PM EDT
I’m looking at another HK.

I’m looking at a 556 launcher.  Which one would you recommend and why?   Assume both are sear ready and not original German but high high quality American.

1.  HK53
2.  G36 (pistol then SBR later)

Or should I get another SP5K pistol (sear ready) while the getting is good?

I can only get one.   Or for the same coin, what else should I consider?  In 556 or 9mm.

I don’t mind getting the above guns since they really hold their value.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You can only use the sear in the HK53, the G36 is a totally different breed than the roller locked guns. If you have a registered sear or want to get one, then HK53 all the way no doubt.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can only use the sear in the HK53, the G36 is a totally different breed than the roller locked guns. If you have a registered sear or want to get one, then HK53 all the way no doubt.
View Quote
Ahhhhh, gotcha.   That a huge point.

Ok, what about if a sear wasn’t available?  So semi only?  Which one?  Or for that kind of $$$ would you say another AR flavor?  Kinda burned out on ARs though, but I’m practical as well and will listen to reason.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally like the 53s.  I currently have two, one built by S&H and a beater built by Gillie and an extra receiver just in case (I doubt and hope I never/want a third).

It's my favorite 223 platform on FA if you have a sear.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at Dakota Arms and that SBR HK53 is quite nice looking.

Edit.  What I mean by that, is the HK53 really appeals to me over the G36.  However is the G36 that much of an improvemt over the HK53?   Despite the sear.  Is the difference between G36 and a nice AR that much?

I am not in a place where I can personally handle both of them.  I do have 2 M16s.  So I have the 556 auto covered.   I am looking at a HK sear but haven’t bought it yet.  I do have several more machine guns.  Just not HK.

Truth is I shoot way more 9mm than 556 on auto.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The american made G36 clones seem to be a bit of a train wreck at this point. I'm glad I wasn't an early adopter... so that should narrow down your selection greatly.

The beauty of a transferable HK sear is that you have quite a few variations of 9mm guns (and 5.56..and 308... and a few other calibers) that you can run it in.  As similar as they all are, they are each a different shooting experience.  If you have the disposable income to play, get on it.  It will only cost more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an SP5k as a sear host. It is outstanding in that role.

To make it host ready, you will need to;

Have a MP5k trigger housing clipped and pinned for the SP5k. This is a slightly different spec than for an SP89.
Have the semi-auto bolt carrier welded and milled to full-auto spec (S&H did mine) or you can buy a FA profile bolt by RCM. Both worked fine for me.
The shelf on the SP5k is slightly different than the SP89 or the HK94. Some sear packs may need a very slight adjustment made in order to work with both hosts.

Other things that are nice but not required for full-auto operation;

Paddle mag conversation.
The muzzle is not threaded. I am not sure if there is enough length to have it threaded. I know some people have ad the proper MP5k profile barrel installed. Not cheap and probably requires re-finishing.

I really want to do a host in 5.56 but I don't want another SBR and I really don't ant to spend $7k.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was looking at Dakota Arms and that SBR HK53 is quite nice looking.

Edit.  What I mean by that, is the HK53 really appeals to me over the G36.  However is the G36 that much of an improvemt over the HK53?   Despite the sear.  Is the difference between G36 and a nice AR that much?

I am not in a place where I can personally handle both of them.  I do have 2 M16s.  So I have the 556 auto covered.   I am looking at a HK sear but haven’t bought it yet.  I do have several more machine guns.  Just not HK.

Truth is I shoot way more 9mm than 556 on auto.
View Quote
I dont see how the G36 is an improvement over the HK53 other than it is simply younger

The only cool draw of the G36 to me is that not many people have them

Not many have a HK53 either for that matter though
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The only cool draw of the G36 to me is that not many people have them
View Quote
TBT is changing that with his US-made receivers, so that being said, I'd go with an HK53 from someone like TPM and SBR it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not an AUG if you want something different???
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The american made G36 clones seem to be a bit of a train wreck at this point. I'm glad I wasn't an early adopter... so that should narrow down your selection greatly.

The beauty of a transferable HK sear is that you have quite a few variations of 9mm guns (and 5.56..and 308... and a few other calibers) that you can run it in.  As similar as they all are, they are each a different shooting experience.  If you have the disposable income to play, get on it.  It will only cost more tomorrow.
View Quote
+1 This....I wouldn’t touch an American G36 clone either at the moment. I’d go with the HK 53.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I have not shot an HK53.  I have shot a legit G36c.  I loved it.  If we're talking semi only, I would go for G36 (depending on quality of build).  If you have a sear, then yeah HK53 first.

For a 9mm sear host, I'd actually probably go clone over HK.  To get a sear-ready host with all the other bells and whistles like threaded/3 lug barrel and paddle mag release, you can probably get it done cheaper with something like a Zenith who now offers sear-ready conversions in their in-house shop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#12]
My friend is an SOT (or whatever the title 2 / NFA designation is).   He transfers machine guns and suppressors and can legally modify them.

I had my sp5k tuned to accept a sear.  Got it done completely right the first time.   When the gun was still legally his, he put a suppressor on it, put his dealer lower on it and it was a great time.

So it’s ready to go.  Of course I bought it in the pistol, no fun switch configuration.   I simply put a red dot and brace on it.

I guess I don’t really love the HK platform that much.  I’m really thinking I’m gonna be happy with what I have.  I don’t need another 556 or 9mm auto.

That money will be better spent elsewhere.

Will I regret that?   Maybe, but doubt it.

I am looking into the CMMG Guard and using my rLL instead.  Way cheaper and I already have just about everything.  Just need the upper, and that’s $600 more or less.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top