Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2018 12:35:49 PM EDT
I have two BX-25 mags that I bought years ago when I bought my 10/22 takedown.  Never had time to shoot it until recently.  I have been putting a lot of rounds through it and is it just me or are the BX-25 mags trash?  There is so much play that the round will nose dive and it will scalp itself on the feed ramp causing a jam and making the ammunition incapable of being chambered afterwards because there is a large slice of jacket sticking up of the nose of the round.  It is repeatable every single round if you use the magazine has a hand rest.

The factory 10 rounder works great and I've pretty much limited myself to that as I have probably damaged 40-60 rounds trying to diagnose the problem.

Also, after a jam and trying to clear it, a round decided it would go face down into the magazine now forcing me to disassemble it to take it apart.

Quick googling shows a lot of "fixes" for the bx-25 but they are all different methods and there doesn't seem to be a solid answer.  Some are pretty elaborate and I'd rather just buy better mags if there is a better option.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Every BX-25 I've had for my take down has given me trouble with hollow-points.  Round nose run fine in all of them.

Every factory 10 rounder runs like a raped ape with everything.  They are my favorites and the only thing I bother taking to the woods or throwing in the Jeep.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s hard to beat the flush mags for reliability, my bx-15 mags run great with MOST ammo but I’ve not found anything that won’t feed from the flush mags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Before the BX-25s even existed (and dinosaurs roamed the earth) we used Tactical Innovations TI-25 magazines TACTICALINC>COM.
They're adjustable for fit and feed angle and I've never had a failure with either the composite or the aluminum models.
Never had to tear a new one down to "tune" it either. They just work.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I build up the front of the mag with layers of aluminum tape.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t know if they are better than the bx25, but a friend used to swear by the butler creek steel lips.

I have one bx25, but all I ever use is the handful of flush 10 rounders that I have. My bx25 is iffyat best. It will run most of the time as long as you’re stationary, level, and not touching the magazine at all.  I have never had a single problem with the factory 10 rd mags. I just wish that I had about 50 of them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every BX-25 I've had for my take down has given me trouble with hollow-points.  Round nose run fine in all of them.

Every factory 10 rounder runs like a raped ape with everything.  They are my favorites and the only thing I bother taking to the woods or throwing in the Jeep.
View Quote
Even the round nose won't run in my BX-25s
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Before the BX-25s even existed (and dinosaurs roamed the earth) we used Tactical Innovations TI-25 magazines TACTICALINC>COM.
They're adjustable for fit and feed angle and I've never had a failure with either the composite or the aluminum models.
View Quote
Jesus, those are pricey.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jesus, those are pricey.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus, those are pricey.  
Yes they are! The best equipment usually is.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The best mags I’ve ever had (25rd mags) are pre 1994 awb butler creek mags.  In all the years I’ve owned them I’ve never had a mag related malfunction.  The must have changed the mold after the sunset in 2004 because the new ones suck and the feedlips/follower look different in the new models.  I like these old mags more than the bx25 and the tactical innovation ones.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Bx15 mags that come with the Charger. Instead of hitting the release and hoping it falls out, these give you something to hold on to, without being so long they interfere with shooting off the bench.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#11]
better options than a Ruger 10/22.  Try a S&W 15-22.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:21:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're willing to use a bigger (i.e., 50 round drum), heavier, and more expensive (i.e., ~$70) option, the Black Dog 10/22 drums with a 10/22 tower get mostly good reviews.  I don't have any personal experience with their drum mag, only the AR-15 stick mags, and at least years ago, the would take returns and send another mag or refund your money.  I don't know what their policy is now, but you could call/email and ask.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got 8 BX25 mags and I've never had any problems with any of them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The issue is that the magazine stack is not moving up fast enough to feed the next rounds due to the friction with the polymer on polymer on the follower/guide.
View Quote
I have been able to replicate the problem nearly 100% of the time, its from holding onto the magazine and/or the magazine not being seated correctly and having too much play.  It causes the round to not feed correctly and nose dive, wedging itself stuck instead of hitting the feed ramp.  It actually scalps the jacket off and jams it in there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
better options than a Ruger 10/22.  Try a S&W 15-22.  
View Quote
Solving a $25 magazine problem with a different rifle isn't really solving the problem, now is it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#18]
my problem is ejecting with my Charger... the OEM 15 rounder works fine, the BX 25 will leave an extracted (new round chambered), but not ejected case that traps the bolt... has anyone modified the ejector lip on the rear of the magazine?  squaring it off helped, but I think I need to add a slight angle... I've shaped the extractor hook, and deepened its purchase on the case which also helped
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I like running three bx-1 10 rd mags connected together with a Alangator clip.  I have two sets of these and they get used the most.  
I have six bx-25.   Five of them work well.  One gives me problems.

I have two Butler Creek 25rd steel lip mags.   They both work well.

I have two Butler Creek 25rd hot lip mags.  Both are junk.  
I have two Eagle 25rd (all plastic) mags.  Could be the worse magazines ever made.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like running three bx-1 10 rd mags connected together with a Alangator clip.  I have two sets of these and they get used the most.  
I have six bx-25.   Five of them work well.  One gives me problems.

I have two Butler Creek 25rd steel lip mags.   They both work well.

I have two Butler Creek 25rd hot lip mags.  Both are junk.  
I have two Eagle 25rd (all plastic) mags.  Could be the worse magazines ever made.
View Quote
Knock on wood, but I haven’t had any problems with the BX25 mags, I just prefer the shorter BX10 and BX15 mags.

I saw that somebody is about to release some kind of a bearing for the BX25 follower, supposed to make them function better. I’ll bookmark it if I see it again.

I never had any luck at all with Butler Creek or any of the other aftermarket mags, of course my experience with them was before Ruger came out with the BX25.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#21]
never understood all the fuss on the BX mags...  I have BC mags of both varieties and while not perfect, the run better than the BX mags for about 1/3 the price...

Ramlines pre ban ran like a champ, unsure what they did post ban because those mags ran like garbage.  Even the pre ban 50 rounders ran great.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#22]
if you are referring to a bearing to tighten up the follower to spring mechanism, one can be made from a  shortened .22lr casing, or .22short without ... check out YouTube
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe nobody chimed in with the Bingham mag. 30 round steel that need a magwell adapter. Great mag in Semi or Full

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top