Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2022 1:25:10 AM EDT
Cases get stuck after firing and won't extract, but comes out easy with a cleaning rod (when cold).

It has already gone back to the manufacturer once and it still does it.

Recommendations? Polish the chamber?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you Clean the chamber after cleaning the barrel ?

Some solvents are sticky
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
What model rifle is it?

Check the fired brass for frosting on the case body and particularly the neck. If it's frosted, it needs polishing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Chuck a bore mop that fits tight in the chamber in a drill and coat it with polishing compound.

Insert and run the drill.

Clean the chamber, repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The neck is usually the culprit on a sticky chamber. But be really careful going that far into the chamber. Going into the throat and leade can fubar your barrel.
Tread lightly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Try some flitz. Nothing too aggressive. Run it in a drill with a mop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Safety Harbor?

My bolt action SHTF upper did it with the black box American Eagle XM33 but nothing else.
A know someone with one that did it with that, PMC, and some other ammo.

They polished it with a flex-hone, it stopped doing it, and paradoxically slightly improved accuracy.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
You may have a tight chamber when i bought my riffl I could choose one of 3 chambers a match chamber but was a hand load only  option, a military cut chamber that was a little oversized but could shoot anything and finally the third was a in between. I chose the latter option. When i shoot surplus ammo I get sticky cases. I need to use cleaning rod to tap the case out but my hand loads come out very easily. I do not run my hand loads as hot as military loads.

Could this be similar to your issue?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
What about a chamber hone?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:44:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Samstead] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
Safety Harbor?

My bolt action SHTF upper did it with the black box American Eagle XM33 but nothing else.

They polished it with a flex-hone, it stopped doing it, and paradoxically slightly improved accuracy
View Quote

Close, a McCutchen MF50-M

I may have to look into flex hone, they have one for the .50 BMG chamber.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Check the fired brass for frosting on the case body and particularly the neck. If it's frosted, it needs polishing.
View Quote

No frosting on the case. The ammo is bulk Federal M33 (belted MG ammo).
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
Safety Harbor?

They polished it with a flex-hone, it stopped doing it, and paradoxically slightly improved accuracy.

YMMV.
View Quote

I had a brand new Safety Harbor do the same thing.  I returned it and, with a one month turnaround, the issue was only slightly better.  I fixed the problem by getting an AR-50.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top