Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:06:04 PM EDT
I nearly bought an Ir laser for a night hunt set up. After reading up on it. Mostly by accounts from other hunters. No laser. Way to much bloom even out to 250.
Nearly every one suggested a 750-850 mw Ir Illuminator with at least 2 power settings and spot/wide focus over a laser out to 250.

I suppose a laser with infinite or several power settings would work fine though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:41:51 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
I nearly bought an Ir laser for a night hunt set up. After reading up on it. Mostly by accounts from other hunters. No laser. Way to much bloom even out to 250.
Nearly every one suggested a 750-850 mw Ir Illuminator with at least 2 power settings and spot/wide focus over a laser out to 250.

I suppose a laser with infinite or several power settings would work fine though.
View Quote
Yes, variable intensity is absolutely fantastic for shooting smaller targets. VITAL-2 and ATILLA-200 for the win
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:57:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2019 6:04:24 PM EDT by Daggertt]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:03:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2019 6:06:52 PM EDT by Daggertt]
Originally Posted By Number1gun:

View Quote
So you're aiming with the illuminator?

IR illuminators serve a different purpose than IR lasers, so I don't quite understand what you're advocating here.

Also, no one suggests a 750-850mw IR illuminator. lol. You're talking about 850nm, which is wavelength. "mw" is a description of power. It seems like you may have needed to do a bit more reading up before deciding that an IR illuminator is better than an IR laser for night hunting.

ETA: it's like you're saying you were going to get a red dot for home defense, but you read up on it and decided to get a weapon light instead.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:09:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TNVC:

Gauging interest and feedback.
View Quote
Subscribing and interested.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:04:20 PM EDT
How often do lasers go on sale? Would it be worth waiting for labor day/black Friday sales or just buy now? This is somewhat of a niche product I wasn't sure if you could expect discounts worth waiting on

Really looking hard at a Steiner 9007. Over my budget but I think it would be worth it if the illuminator is worth a damn
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:07:22 PM EDT
TNVC..... I am still waiting to buy the unit that was teased about last year... or was it the year before..... But all joking on that aside... Yes I am interested.... I think you are right, it would be nice to dial down the aiming laser to cut the bloom.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 4:21:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
How often do lasers go on sale? Would it be worth waiting for labor day/black Friday sales or just buy now? This is somewhat of a niche product I wasn't sure if you could expect discounts worth waiting on

Really looking hard at a Steiner 9007. Over my budget but I think it would be worth it if the illuminator is worth a damn
View Quote
Stalk the EE and they pop up for sale every now and again in the $600-650 range
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 6:09:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Munzy:

Stalk the EE and they pop up for sale every now and again in the $600-650 range
View Quote
Thanks. I ended up buying a new Steiner 9007 for about $660 from optics planet. A little different and more expensive than what I originally intended but I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Should be here Friday
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top