Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I nearly bought an Ir laser for a night hunt set up. After reading up on it. Mostly by accounts from other hunters. No laser. Way to much bloom even out to 250.
Nearly every one suggested a 750-850 mw Ir Illuminator with at least 2 power settings and spot/wide focus over a laser out to 250.

I suppose a laser with infinite or several power settings would work fine though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I nearly bought an Ir laser for a night hunt set up. After reading up on it. Mostly by accounts from other hunters. No laser. Way to much bloom even out to 250.
Nearly every one suggested a 750-850 mw Ir Illuminator with at least 2 power settings and spot/wide focus over a laser out to 250.

I suppose a laser with infinite or several power settings would work fine though.
View Quote
Yes, variable intensity is absolutely fantastic for shooting smaller targets.  VITAL-2 and ATILLA-200 for the win
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you're aiming with the illuminator?

IR illuminators serve a different purpose than IR lasers, so I don't quite understand what you're advocating here.

Also, no one suggests a 750-850mw IR illuminator. lol. You're talking about 850nm, which is wavelength. "mw" is a description of power. It seems like you may have needed to do a bit more reading up before deciding that an IR illuminator is better than an IR laser for night hunting.

ETA: it's like you're saying you were going to get a red dot for home defense, but you read up on it and decided to get a weapon light instead.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Gauging interest and feedback.
View Quote
Subscribing and interested.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
How often do lasers go on sale? Would it be worth waiting for labor day/black Friday sales or just buy now? This is somewhat of a niche product I wasn't sure if you could expect discounts worth waiting on

Really looking hard at a Steiner 9007. Over my budget but I think it would be worth it if the illuminator is worth a damn
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#8]
TNVC..... I am still waiting to buy the unit that was teased about last year... or was it the year before..... But all joking on that aside... Yes I am interested.... I think you are right, it would be nice to dial down the aiming laser to cut the bloom.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How often do lasers go on sale? Would it be worth waiting for labor day/black Friday sales or just buy now? This is somewhat of a niche product I wasn't sure if you could expect discounts worth waiting on

Really looking hard at a Steiner 9007. Over my budget but I think it would be worth it if the illuminator is worth a damn
View Quote
Stalk the EE and they pop up for sale every now and again in the $600-650 range
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Stalk the EE and they pop up for sale every now and again in the $600-650 range
View Quote
Thanks. I ended up buying a new Steiner 9007 for about $660 from optics planet. A little different and more expensive than what I originally intended but I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Should be here Friday
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top