Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 6:55:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've recently started shooting Steel Challenge, and built a 10/22 ....design criteria was to use the reliable factory Ruger 10 round rotary magazines, and have a similar feel to the rest of my AR competition carbines...... in case I used something that might be of interest to you

receiver is Brownells BRN22 with integral rail (had a rail loosen on an earlier Ruger used for the Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge)

barrel is also Brownells companion barrel for the BRN22 receiver... threaded... I polished the feed ramp, and took a slight bevel cut off the mouth of the chamber with a reamer... if at some later time I can switch to a light weight carbon fiber.. with my shooting ability, this will most likely not happen

bolt and charging handle factory Ruger

trigger group Ruger BX...in the mid 90s there was not a lot of aftermarket competition support for the 10/22 ... I built a fixture that changes the angle and depth of the sear notch on a factory Ruger hammer, and with a couple of other spring mods, got a reliable 22oz trigger... that is not necessary for the Steel Challenge

chassis PMACA lightweight with a cantilever rail off the nose to mount an angled fore grip

stock is ArmaLite SOCOM angled cheek piece stock,

grip is a Hogue over molded

sight is a Holosun 510
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly the most cost effective way ( unless you go all premium aftermarket parts like kidd or volquartsen-$$$) is to buy the cheapest off the rack Ruger you can find.
Unlike AR’s where you could find parts kits for less than complete rifles for builds ( not sure about now with the current frenzy)
No such resource exists for the 10/22
If you can find a mass merchandiser that puts a 10/22 on sale for $199, or find a good condition used one for $175 or less, you simply cannot buy all the parts needed for less.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
SAP Outfitters sells OEM Ruger parts; some takeoff, some new.  Their prices are eminently reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
This past summer when I did my first printed 10/22 I just made a post here asking for take off parts.  Quite a few members came forward with parts.  

It's a shame you want a 10/22 I know a guy who does Marlin's.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
gunbroker when the police impound guys sell off them
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
It seems that 10/22 parts are still hard to find.  If you have the barrel and receiver, it isn't difficult to piece it together.  Signup for alerts like Midwayusa and Brownells etc. for out of stock items.

Barrel Vblock/screws
Trigger pack
Bolt & Charging handle
Recoil rod/spring
2 Trigger pins
1 Buffer
Receiver bolt
Stock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top