Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2022 8:17:39 PM EDT
Just got my FFL.

Can anybody advise on the most cost effective methods for shipping firearms?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
For handguns, between FFLs, USPS Priority flat rate boxes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For handguns, between FFLs, USPS Priority flat regional rate boxes.
View Quote

Fixed.

These are just a touch smaller than medium FRB's, handle small to mid-sized handguns, and have lower rates:
https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-regional-rate-box---a2-P_RRB_A2

Set up an account at USPS.com and order them free.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Fedex recently let me know that for shipping firearms, FFL's are required to do $10k of business with them annually to be able to participate. (if you want to have a firearms shipping agreement with them, that is).  

Probably wouldn't be an issue not having it UNTIL the day they lose a firearm- then you've got problems.

I've found USPS to be very easy.  Good tip on the regional boxes, I've always used flat rate with the thinking that they'd be cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Is USPS the best bet for rifles as well?  Do you have to do anything special or just mail it like anything else?
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I went through USPS and set up with XPS Shipping, endorsed by USPS. Made an account at Fed Ex and UPS and linked them in XPS. Stupid simple and works great.
You get reduced rates and can compare on the spot between them all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I went through USPS and set up with XPS Shipping, endorsed by USPS. Made an account at Fed Ex and UPS and linked them in XPS. Stupid simple and works great.
View Quote

Pretty sure that USPS isn't allowed to endorse a commercial service or product.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s who a USPS setup manager told me to use when I had a call with them about setting up shipping. I didn’t just pick them all on my own.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Flat Rate USPS with 21+ signature
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is USPS the best bet for rifles as well?  Do you have to do anything special or just mail it like anything else?
View Quote

I use the local post office for anything I can, since it's only a block away. FedEx and UPS hubs are a fifteen minute drive with more limited counter hours.
USPS requires you bring a form with the gun, and the counter people appreciate when you have the box dimensions for them if it's not a flat rate box.
Otherwise it's pretty much hassle free
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Local post office made me put brown tape over every seam on the box, and also made me send it certified mail. They claimed there was a policy change June of 2021.

Was a freaking PITA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Local post office made me put brown tape over every seam on the box, and also made me send it certified mail. They claimed there was a policy change June of 2021.

Was a freaking PITA.
View Quote

Package up shipment, print label online (cheaper than paying in-person anyway), tape label to box, drop off at post office, take receipt, done.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Was a freaking PITA.
View Quote

When faced with such stupidity............principles. If you let it slide, they'll continue to require more imaginary restrictions.
There was no "policy change" in June 2021. If they disagree then ask to see the change in writing. They can easily pull up USPS Postal Explorer 43 Firearms

The extra five minutes of PITA you suffer means the next guy won't. Standing up for the principle of the matter isn't done often enough. Sure, it's easier to just follow the whims of the counter clerk and do what they say..........but how do you know they wont make up newer, more expensive rules tomorrow? Next week? Basically ass fucking you because you let them ass fuck you.

Be positive YOU know USPS regs and where to find them.
Never take the word of the counter clerk. Regs are regs and the counter clerk cannot change them.
Dont like what the counter clerk says? Ask for a supervisor. Be polite when pointing out how USPS regs apply to firearm shipments. If you don't like the supervisors response? Ask that they call a postal inspector. If they refuse....document.

I experienced USPS counter clerk ignorance years ago. The counter clerk told me I had to give him a copy of my FFL with the Form 1508. I refused because its not required. He then wanted a copy of my drivers license, again, not required. At that point I asked for his supervisor. that customer service mgr had the DMM pukled up on his monitor and had a postal inspector on speaker phone. Postal inspector was telling him exactly what I was. While it added another half hour to my errand, it was well worth it and the CS Mgr thanked me as I left. I've never had another problem at that facility in twelve years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Package up shipment, print label online (cheaper than paying in-person anyway), tape label to box, drop off at post office, take receipt, done.
View Quote

This.
Minimize the face time with the counter clerks and you minimize the opportunity to experience stupididdity.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]
In other news,

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Latest-WTF-from-USPO/44-533286/

My local PO continues to tape the PS1508 to the shipping box. I had asked them to check with the Postmaster, and he (new guy, not the old gun guy) was there Monday when I made my latest shipment. Confirmed that was the correct process. Pointed out the "retain one year" on PS1508, he said yes we use a copy. :-(. Then I pointed out it references DMM C024, and showed him this from C024:

https://pe.usps.com/Archive/HTML/DMMArchive20030810/C024.htm

6.0 Prohibited Parcel Marking
For any parcel containing a firearm or a ballistic or switchblade knife, any marking that indicates the contents is not permitted on the outside wrapper or container.

Says the PS1508 does not state a firearm is in the box.

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Sadly, there is no shortage of stupid at the USPS.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...My local PO continues to tape the PS1508 to the shipping box. ......

View Quote

Now you have me wanting to drive north to mail my next box.....just to fuck with a counter monkey. You know, to stay in practice.

I think you need to shoot an email to a postal inspector.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In other news,

My local PO continues to tape the PS1508 to the shipping box. I had asked them to check with the Postmaster, and he (new guy, not the old gun guy) was there Monday when I made my latest shipment. Confirmed that was the correct process. Pointed out the "retain one year" on PS1508, he said yes we use a copy. :-(. Then I pointed out it references DMM C024, and showed him this from C024:

For any parcel containing a firearm or a ballistic or switchblade knife, any marking that indicates the contents is not permitted on the outside wrapper or container.

View Quote

I had similar problems until I complained to the postal inspectors.  Next thing I know, I am treated with angry glares at my post office but they are doing everything right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fixed.

These are just a touch smaller than medium FRB's, handle small to mid-sized handguns, and have lower rates:
https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-regional-rate-box---a2-P_RRB_A2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For handguns, between FFLs, USPS Priority flat regional rate boxes.

Fixed.

Other than cost and size is there anything else that is different between flat rate and regional?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Other than cost and size is there anything else that is different between flat rate and regional?
View Quote

Yes.
Regional Flat Rate Boxes boxes are limited to
Box A 15lbs
Box B 20lbs
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.
Minimize the face time with the counter clerks and you minimize the opportunity to experience stupididdity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Starting research for my own FFL.  Are you saying it's okay to skip the PS1508 and just drop the package?  Or just package, print and affix label and hand package and PS1508 to the counter clerk so they don't think too hard about it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Starting research for my own FFL.  Are you saying it's okay to skip the PS1508 and just drop the package?  Or just package, print and affix label and hand package and PS1508 to the counter clerk so they don't think too hard about it?
View Quote

Bingo.  If the counter clerk asks WTF to do with it, point to the verbiage where it says "(Domestic Mail Manual C024, retain form for 1 year)".
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In other news,

View Quote

I had an issue with the clerks at my USPS where I drop of handguns (middle of Dallas) for shipment. They started off saying that I couldn't ship handguns and I politely informed them I was a dealer and pulled up the usps link for firearms shipments. Then she stated that they could not sign the 1508 and it had to be a supervisor / postmaster sign it. So every time I dropped off a handgun they would ask me to wait and one of the clerks would go hunt down someone. It was a huge ordeal to them and they generally hated dealing with me.

After one of the nationally publicized "Mass  Shootings" a clerk wanted to know why I am still selling guns after this happened. I told here because now more than ever people want firearms to protect themselves and that did not settle well with her. They even went so far as to ask why I didn't ship them at my local post office and I explained its because of their abysmal business hours of 8am to 4:30pm and during those hours I am at my 9-5 job.

Over then next several months they finally decided or were told that they had to sign the form. Eventually they all started acting normal when I delivered firearms for shipment.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
..... So every time I dropped off a handgun they would ask me to wait and one of the clerks would go hunt down someone. It was a huge ordeal to them and they generally hated dealing with me.
View Quote

Why are you dealing with the counter clerks at all?
1. Pay postage and print label at home.
2. Tape Form 1508 to box with Scotch tape.
3. Go to post office and drop into the package drop box inside.

No USPS rule or regulation requires you to wait for anyone to sign anything. I've been doing it this way for a decade at the four post offices in Plano.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why are you dealing with the counter clerks at all?
1. Pay postage and print label at home.
2. Tape Form 1508 to box with Scotch tape.
3. Go to post office and drop into the package drop box inside.

No USPS rule or regulation requires you to wait for anyone to sign anything. I've been doing it this way for a decade at the four post offices in Plano.
View Quote

It's nice to have a receipt showing USPS actually has possession of it. Cause if it goes "missing" before they scan it who's to say you ever dropped it off?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's nice to have a receipt showing USPS actually has possession of it. Cause if it goes "missing" before they scan it who's to say you ever dropped it off?
View Quote

Mine have cameras.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mine have cameras.
View Quote

If it's USPS that makes the item go "missing", I wouldn't count on the cameras to be working at that moment... But in theory that would be great to rely on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
About to ship my first rifle.  

Here's my plan:

1. Make a USPS Priority Label on XPS w/ Adult Signature required.
2. Box it up with brown paper tape on all seams.
3. Fill out PS1508 and scotch tape it to outside of box.
4. Drop it off at USPS

Does that sound correct?
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here's my plan:

4. Drop it off at USPS

Does that sound correct?
View Quote

1508 not needed for a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Here's my plan:

1. Make a USPS Priority Label on XPS w/ Adult Signature required insurance.
4. Drop it off at USPS

Does that sound correct?
View Quote

Also the PS1508, when needed, is not taped to the box, it is retained at the post office.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Also the PS1508, when needed, is not taped to the box, it is retained at the post office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's my plan:

1. Make a USPS Priority Label on XPS w/ Adult Signature required insurance.
4. Drop it off at USPS

Does that sound correct?

Several posts above where i wrote "tape 1508 to box"......its only when I drop the package into the after hours drop box or have several FRB's with handguns to drop off. No need to wait in line, I just heave them over the counter into the cart.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Here's my plan:

4. Drop it off at USPS

Does that sound correct?
View Quote

The brown paper tape on all the seams is only required for registered mail. The post office hand stamps multiple times along the edge of the tape to help  prevent tampering.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top