Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/30/2018 3:19:32 PM EDT
Just got in a M82CQ and need a scope that will work for it.

Never had a .50 so I have no idea what a good scope that can handle the recoil would be.

Ranges will be out to 1000 yards.

Obligatory pic, just opened the case about an hour ago, still reading the manual...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
After spending that much on the rifle, might as well go all out.

Can't see putting a Barska on it!

A lot of the ones I've seen have the Leupold MK4 mounted, and it's a good scope, just wondering if there are better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go Razor Gen II.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I started with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 mildot scope on my M82CQ and switched over to a Vortex Razor HD gen 2 4.5-27x56 first focal plane mildot and put the Nightforce on a bolt action 50. I very much prefer the Vortex because it's FFP (although I'm only shooting at ~600 yards when I take my .50s out) the glass if anything is a bit "clearer" than the Nightforce.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with a Burris xtr2 4-20 with Horus reticle on mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used almost every make of High end scope out there except the Vortex on my 50's. All have failed, except my MK4's.
I have two MK4's and a March. One MK4 has been on 7 different variants of 50 cals, including an M82 and has thousands and thousands of rounds under it's belt.
It currently sits on a serbu semi now.
The March sits on my custom AR50 bench rifle. It costs more than the rifle, rests and ammo, but it's worth it. It's only got slightly over 2,000 rounds fired, but it's holding up well.
While not every scope is going to be 100%, There's a reason the Marines issued their M82's with leupolds on them, they work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My next project was going to have barrett fit a CQ upper on my M82, but I couldn't make my Barrett compatible to the idiotic NY SAFE act's restrictions without butchering it up, so away it went.
Good Luck with yours.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Kind of depends where you live and shoot most. My ranges and farm doesn't have 1000 yards. It'd be hard to find 1000 yards in most of my state. If you live in wide open spaces get a higher magnification scope. I have a 4.5x14 Leupold Long Range on my M33 bolt action and it's fine for me out to 600 yds. Hard to locate shorter range targets in your scope at higher magnification so I would recommend no higher than 4.5 to 5 on the low end. High magnification and you're going to be searching for the target between every shot at close ranges.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm still saving for what I really want, but in the meantime I using a Athlon Argos BTR with a Horus type retical. Compares well to a Vortex PST for a lot less money. I've been amazingly happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Run a 4-14 mark 4 with barrett rings the way it was meant to be
Just make sure you get the turrets to match the reticle.
the FFP version would be preferred.

If you do decide to run with a larger scope like a big nightforce 5-25, keep in mind it will mean you will have to remove the carrying handle.
Simply moving the carry handle down the rail would make it off balance, and risk damaging the rail by torquing on it with the offset weight.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Razor Gen II is the way to go.
Had a Mark4 on my M82a1 before I sold it to fund the M107a1 and is old technology for whats available in today's market.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I just sent a Mk4 back to Leopold for repair. The rear glass looked like a windshield pelted by rocks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies guys, still not sure but thinking I'm going with the Leupold, yeah it's an older design, but it seems to be a tried and true scope that works well with the .50.

And drone161, that's an interesting suppressor, never seen one that has what appears to be a muzzle break on the end of it!

If you do decide to run with a larger scope like a big nightforce 5-25, keep in mind it will mean you will have to remove the carrying handle.
Simply moving the carry handle down the rail would make it off balance, and risk damaging the rail by torquing on it with the offset weight.
View Quote
You all are such a wealth of knowledge, that's the kind of real experience that a newbie like me would never think of.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I used a Leopold Mk4 16x for a long time. Bought it used from Barrett when I worked there. It had been through the wringer. No telling how many rifles it had been on, and how many 1000's of rounds it had seen.
Some of the finish was gone, but it tracked good and always returned to its 300m zero.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
If you get a Leupold, make sure the reticle and turrets match. They used to be notorious for not doing that.

My personal preference would be an NF ATACR.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still saving for what I really want, but in the meantime I using a Athlon Argos BTR with a Horus type retical. Compares well to a Vortex PST for a lot less money. I've been amazingly happy with it so far.
View Quote
How many rounds do you have through the gun with that on there? I've been looking at them for a while and wondered how they held up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a leupold mark 4 4.5-14x50 in leupold mark 4 steel rings. I have changed it out to “better optics” a few times but the leupold always finds its way back on there somehow.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top