Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2023 6:25:28 PM EDT
What's good that's out there? I do have a power source in the safe. What do you all recommend? I know some of them just add heat. I think I would prefer one that actually removes humidity. I realize I would have to empty it out once in a while then. If my thinking is off on this, please say so.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
GoldenRod runs on AC, raises the temp, works great.

If you use desiccant don't use Calcium Chloride use 100% silica gel beads.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Goldenrod.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're talking about appliances, it's a tough call. Most of the affordable ones are consumer grade models. They all seem to have reliability problems, even the expensive ones. Corrosion is a big problem with them, as you might imagine. I was looking to pick one up a couple of years ago. I couldn't find a single brand that didn't have a lot of negative reviews. Even the commercial ones get mixed reviews, and they are spendy. I never found anything I wanted to take a chance on. They are, by nature, simple designs. I'm not sure why modern ones seem to be so problem-prone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Golden rod / thread
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Protect the metal
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Goldenrod.  And position it in the bottom of the safe like intended.  Saw once where a safe had a goldenrod near the top/middle, did not help much in the bottom of the safe and some stuff was rusted up.  

Mine live in a garage in the wet PNW, and never any problems so long as the goldenrod is working in the bottom back of the safe.  (Probably also helps that I like CLP as an exterior protectant, it works pretty well in that application).
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the golden rod is the way to go. Thank you all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My Liberty dealer recommended the Peet version (some company that makes the boot dryers).

Peet dehumidifier

That and one of these (refresh in <10 mins in the microwave vice hours in the toaster oven) have kept my safe (Liberty Colonial 50) at ~45% in my shop during a very wet Louisiana January. I've recharged it once, looks like it needs it about every 3 weeks or so.

Wise Dry
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure you will find a "normal" (room type) dehumidifier that will work right in a safe. They just aren't made to function in spaces that small. It will short cycle leading to short appliance life and poor dehumidification. If you don't want/trust a heat source alone (golden rod etc) the next best thing is silica gel based desiccants. There are purpose made products, but the cheapest is to get the "crystal" cat litter (100% silica gel) and put it into some socks and tie them off. Recharge in the oven.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the Eva Drys.

Not sure if theyre the best, but they seem to work well and you just plug them in to recharge.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I use dehumidifiers (the rechargeable large EvaDry desiccant type), a 40 W lightbulb, PEET dryer, and VCI capsules (changed every two years).

My safe is stored in an air conditioned room. In the past it has been in a garage and in a basement.

With my setup, in all those locations it is  about 4 degrees warmer than ambient temp and around 47-50% humidity.

I also have a whole room dehumidifier in its current location and keep the ambient humidity about 55-60%.

I use a home weather meter with the outdoor sensor in the safe, the indoor portion outside the safe to monitor conditions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I use them all inside my safe, Golden Rod, Eva Dry and the Zerust vapor capsule.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top