Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2021 3:19:39 PM EDT
I've seen pictures in the past of them, and quick google searches show they exist but are ridiculously overpriced it seems and I don't know enough about the premades to say whether the value is there or not.

So...is there a go-to rail mounted battery pack? An adaptor to fit any battery pack you have? Should I just duct tape an Anker to it and call it good?

Appreciate whatever advice you might have. May end up just going with a few 18650s but figuring ouy my options at this point
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Rail mounted battery packs suck.  That's my $0.02.  
Buy a thermal that has good internal power so you don't have to rely on a dangling cord that WILL fuck your hunt up at the least-opportune time.  AMHIK.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've seen pictures in the past of them, and quick google searches show they exist but are ridiculously overpriced it seems and I don't know enough about the premades to say whether the value is there or not.

So...is there a go-to rail mounted battery pack? An adaptor to fit any battery pack you have? Should I just duct tape an Anker to it and call it good?

Appreciate whatever advice you might have. May end up just going with a few 18650s but figuring ouy my options at this point
View Quote
I like TNVC’s product. It works really well and I don’t have issues with the cables, YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like TNVC's product. It works really well and I don't have issues with the cables, YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like TNVC's product. It works really well and I don't have issues with the cables, YMMV.
I like it as well. It keeps my thermal going all night and then some. Cables are a pain in the ass until you figure out how to keep them tight and out of the way
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thermal optics plus has a metal one with anker batteries.  I like mine
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope my final choice has enough onboard power, as stated above - but if I need external, Nitecore has some IPX5 rated Carbon Fiber NB packs, or IP68 rated, slightly heavier NP packs. I DIY everything.

Nitecore Power Banks
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
A Bering Optics Super Hogster powered by a TNVC TRB helped me harvest 300+ coyotes during my night season. I used them down to -25F on numerous occasions, and they both worked fantastic. If you hunt in cold weather, use Anker battery packs. Many of the cheaper, off-brand don't produce consistent voltage in cold weather. There is a 6700 mAh Anker battery in the TRB.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I made mine with an anker battery pack and a Caldwell rail clamp for a brass catcher I had laying around.

Cables do suck make sure you get it where you want it and strap the cables in tight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems the TRB is well-liked so I'll give that a whirl pending a couple questions. Probably overkill cause I have zero intention on being outside at -25 but good to know it can do it nonetheless.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seems the TRB is well-liked so I'll give that a whirl pending a couple questions. Probably overkill cause I have zero intention on being outside at -25 but good to know it can do it nonetheless.
View Quote
One of the nice things about the TRB is the offset design allows it to be mounted on a helmet setup, or on a gun on top of the rail, or on either side and can also be mounted up or down, so it is very versatile. You will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Anker battery, some crossbow scope mount and a 4 inch USB cable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A Bering Optics Super Hogster powered by a TNVC TRB helped me harvest 300+ coyotes during my night season. I used them down to -25F on numerous occasions, and they both worked fantastic. If you hunt in cold weather, use Anker battery packs. Many of the cheaper, off-brand don't produce consistent voltage in cold weather. There is a 6700 mAh Anker battery in the TRB.
View Quote

Which TRB are you using for the Super Hogster? There are 3 choices.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one with the usb-c cable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I broke the mount on the TNVC version... now I have to zip tie it on.  Don't over tighten the screws on cheap plastic parts.   Gotta 3d print a replacement wedge..
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The one with the usb-c cable.
View Quote

The 3 choices on the website are for specific thermal scopes . It does not list cable type. Non of them list the Super Hogster. I was wanting to know which one Korey is using.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: The 3 choices on the website are for specific thermal scopes . It does not list cable type. Non of them list the Super Hogster. I was wanting to know which one Korey is using.
View Quote
Sorry, I didn't see this question was for me. Looks like Will took care of it, but yes it is the same cable as the Flirs. They both use a USB-C connection.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's now been updated
View Quote

Quoted:
Sorry, I didn't see this question was for me. Looks like Will took care of it, but yes it is the same cable as the Flirs. They both use a USB-C connection.
View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top