Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2023 10:42:57 AM EDT
Looking for a good punch set that wont scratch my weapons, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure I understand. Any punch - used improperly - will scratch what you're working on.

Are you wanting polymer punches? Brass? Steel?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion these gedore punches and drifts are the best, now as far as avoiding scratching your firearm this is 100% on the craftsmen

https://www.kctool.com/gedore-113-drift-punch-set-6-pcs-in-plastic-holder/

https://www.kctool.com/gedore-116-l-pin-punch-set-6-pcs-in-plastic-holder/
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry I'm new to armory and DIY but I have basic knowledge in guns. What's the difference between brass and steel punches?

I have some roll pins I need to remove to work on a upper. Just need the proper tools.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If you’re just banging in roll pins then this tekton set is good enough. Been using mine for a few years now and haven’t had any problems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012TKY0VI?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Pay the $16 or so for the special bolt catch punches.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sketti] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jerrylo913:
I'm sorry I'm new to armory and DIY but I have basic knowledge in guns. What's the difference between brass and steel punches?

I have some roll pins I need to remove to work on a upper. Just need the proper tools.
View Quote
Brass is a softer metal and less likely to scratch however it's not as strong as the steel punch and may bend easier. Keep in mind you can still scratch your upper with a brass punch if you hit the punch wrong, etc.

I'm new to DIYing myself and have been testing various different things/brand names. So far I like the Mayhew, Starrett, and Grace brand punches, all are made in the USA. Also, having a good/appropriate hammer is just as important as having good punches.

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sketti:
Brass is a softer metal and less likely to scratch however it's not as strong as the steel punch and may bend easier. Keep in mind you can still scratch your upper with a brass punch if you hit the punch wrong, etc.

I'm new to DIYing myself and have been testing various different things/brand names. So far I like the Mayhew, Starrett, and Grace brand punches, all are made in the USA. Also, having a good/appropriate hammer is just as important as having good punches.

View Quote

Brass marks may be removed with Hoppes or gun solvent. I'd use brass too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:47:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gasgas] [#10]
Get some blue painters tape
If really nit picky use 3-4 layers
Wheelers has a complete AR tool set
Not necessarily the best but good

Birchwood Casey has some Aluma -black
To touch up spots, read directions fully
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jerrylo913:

View Quote

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/roll-pin-punches/
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not clear to me what you're doing, but if it's roll pins, then roll pin starter punches make life much easier.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Riter:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Good to know, thanks!
View All Quotes

Good to know, thanks!

WD40 and 0000 steel wool as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View All Quotes

Good to know, thanks!

0000 steel wool won't leave small scratchs?
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes

Good to know, thanks!

Correct.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Correct.
View All Quotes

Good to know, thanks!

Correct.

cool, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top