Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2018 7:16:02 PM EDT
I have a CMP Field Grade I would like to set up as a .308.

What are my options shop wise?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you're in Virginia, take it to Master Gunnery Sergeant Gus Fisher at the next Richmond Gun Show.  August 25, 26 at the Richmond Raceway.

You will find him there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I am quite a ways from Richmond though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag, because I hate money
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. I am quite a ways from Richmond though.
View Quote
Go anyway.

The Master Gun is the world's best Garand armorer.  And he is a great man.  You really need to see him.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI.

Otherwise, the CMP Shop or Isaac McCaskill in South Carolina.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#6]
A quick question on a rebarrel, as in what parts should be brought along... barrel and receiver obviously, but what about the gas assembly/front sight group and the unassembled bolt?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you can find someone local, that's fine.

Otherwise, I'd recommend shipping the barreled receiver to Shuff's Parkerizing and have a .308 Criterion tube installed. His work is excellent. His turn-around is about 90-days, but for a simple re-barreling job it'll probably be shorter unless you send it to him around the holidays.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A quick question on a rebarrel, as in what parts should be brought along... barrel and receiver obviously, but what about the gas assembly/front sight group and the unassembled bolt?
View Quote
Unless you want other work done, the barreled receiver should be enough. Well, the bolt too so the gunsmith can vet headspace.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Otherwise, I'd recommend shipping the barreled receiver to Shuff's Parkerizing and have a .308 Criterion tube installed. His work is excellent. His turn-around is about 90-days, but for a simple re-barreling job it'll probably be shorter unless you send it to him around the holidays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would do this.
I was ready to send my gun but couldn't find a buyer for my .30-06 ammo.
Now I have to shoot it all up before I have it converted.

I've researched this quite a bit, and Shuff's seems tops in quality of work, turnaround time, and price.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I see CMP has some field grade 308s on their site.

Now I am torn
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep the one you have and buy a .308 from CMP. Shuffs is excellent, and the only shop I've sent mine to. I'm VERY happy with his work. Gus Fisher is certainly THE man. If you can arrange it, do that. I want a rifle that has gone through Master Guns hands, it's a bucket list thing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep the one you have and buy a .308 from CMP. Shuffs is excellent, and the only shop I've sent mine to. I'm VERY happy with his work. Gus Fisher is certainly THE man. If you can arrange it, do that. I want a rifle that has gone through Master Guns hands, it's a bucket list thing.
View Quote
Having two M1s,  - one in the traditional '06 chambering, and one in .308/7.62  -  is always better than having one, if you can swing the coinage and afford both.

That said, it also depends on whether you're primarily a collector or a shooter.

I'm a shooter mostly, so while I have a few 'Collector' M1s (all '06s) that never see the range or matches, I have others (a mix of. 308 & '06) that get run hard and a lot.

This includes some Garand variants like an old 7.62  AO 'Tanker,' and two of Shuff's 16.1" Mini-Gs.

One Mini I retained in the '06 chambering, and it's a dedicated short-range deer & hog hunting weapon. It'd work good on bears too, if I ever moved to Alaska.   The other Mini is a .308 which I carry in my vehicle as a quick-handling 'trunk gun.'
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Having two M1s,  - one in the traditional '06 chambering, and one in .308/7.62  -  is always better than having one, if you can swing the coinage and afford both.

That said, it also depends on whether you're primarily a collector or a shooter.

I'm a shooter mostly, so while I have a few 'Collector' M1s (all '06s) that never see the range or matches, I have others (a mix of. 308 & '06) that get run hard and a lot.

This includes some Garand variants like an old 7.62  AO 'Tanker,' and two of Shuff's 16.1" Mini-Gs.

One Mini I retained in the '06 chambering, and it's a dedicated short-range deer & hog hunting weapon. It'd work good on bears too, if I ever moved to Alaska.   The other Mini is a .308 which I carry in my vehicle as a quick-handling 'trunk gun.'
View Quote
what is the price for a mini G, in 308?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
what is the price for a mini G, in 308?
View Quote
That depends on whether Shuff builds you a Mini-G from scratch or you supply a 'donor' M1 for conversion, such as one with a shot-out '06 barrel.

Check his website for current pricing, but two years ago when he converted my donor M1 to .308/7.62 it was like, $800.

But I also added some extras, like full parkerizing of parts, a trigger job, and a new Dupage stock. So it was more like my rifle + $1100.

Shuff's turn-around time back then was 60-days, but since then his workload has pretty much exploded so now it's 90-days.

If you're scrimping on $$$,  you can save $200 right off by foregoing the Criterion .308 barrel and keeping your G.I. '06 barrel, which he will cut down and re-crown at 16.1".  I did that on my 'Hunter' Mini-G which I use for hogs & deer. Left it in the original '06 chambering.  The G.I. barrel had a TE of 3 but an ME of 4, along with frosting near the muzzle, and the crown was beat to shit.  It shot for shit too.  Once Shuff cut the barrel back to 16.1", the ME went to 0, the frosting was gone, and the crown was perfect!

Now it shoots like a laser at least out to the distances I shoot it, which is inside 200yds. The Irons are zeroed at 100yds, but I had him attach an Ultimak rail on which I run a 2.75x Burris scout scope. The scope is zeroed for 2" high at 100yds, or effectively about a 200-yd zero.

The genius of Shuff's Mini-G is that he's found a way to re-purpose a reliable old War Horse into a handy, useful, truely 'carbine-length' weapon which can be had in .308, 30-06, or 35 Whelen. You can add a rail for either magnified or RDS optics, or leave it plain-jane with just the G.I. iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I am another very satisfied customer of  Shuff's.
Top notch work and does what you want done,and does not try to upsale.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're in Virginia, I suggest shipping it to Fulton Armory that is in MD. They're the best. I'm surprised no one mentioned them.

Have them ship you a shipping box, wrap your garand up, send it over to them and get back a really sweat rifle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am another very satisfied customer of  Shuff's.
Top notch work and does what you want done,and does not try to upsale.
View Quote
+1. I have a miniG in 30-06.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That depends on whether Shuff builds you a Mini-G from scratch or you supply a 'donor' M1 for conversion, such as one with a shot-out '06 barrel.

Check his website for current pricing, but two years ago when he converted my donor M1 to .308/7.62 it was like, $800.

But I also added some extras, like full parkerizing of parts, a trigger job, and a new Dupage stock. So it was more like my rifle + $1100.

Shuff's turn-around time back then was 60-days, but since then his workload has pretty much exploded so now it's 90-days.

If you're scrimping on $$$,  you can save $200 right off by foregoing the Criterion .308 barrel and keeping your G.I. '06 barrel, which he will cut down and re-crown at 16.1".  I did that on my 'Hunter' Mini-G which I use for hogs & deer. Left it in the original '06 chambering.  The G.I. barrel had a TE of 3 but an ME of 4, along with frosting near the muzzle, and the crown was beat to shit.  It shot for shit too.  Once Shuff cut the barrel back to 16.1", the ME went to 0, the frosting was gone, and the crown was perfect!

Now it shoots like a laser at least out to the distances I shoot it, which is inside 200yds. The Irons are zeroed at 100yds, but I had him attach an Ultimak rail on which I run a 2.75x Burris scout scope. The scope is zeroed for 2" high at 100yds, or effectively about a 200-yd zero.

The genius of Shuff's Mini-G is that he's found a way to re-purpose a reliable old War Horse into a handy, useful, truely 'carbine-length' weapon which can be had in .308, 30-06, or 35 Whelen. You can add a rail for either magnified or RDS optics, or leave it plain-jane with just the G.I. iron sights.
View Quote
for $800 over that of the base gun, I would just get two from the CMP
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Normally I'd agree, especially if someone is just getting into Garands and wants a basic, traditional, plain-jane 'shooter' M1, like their grandfather carried in WW2 or Korea. Just get an S.A. or Winny SG in '06 and call it good.

Aside from just wanting a Mini-G because they're neat and cool and fun to shoot, the Minis are designed to fill a certain niche, and getting one assumes you have a niche to fill.

A compact, non-mag-fed autoloader that can serve as an accurate and useful short-range weapon, based on the reliable, durable, and war-proven Garand-action. Could be a truck, cabin, or camp site gun, ... or a 'woods gun' for hunting deer or hogs.

I would venture to say that, with some exceptions, most Mini-G owners also have one or more M1s in traditional configuration, if not original GI chambering.

It also surprised me when I heard Shuff converts about a dozen M1s into Minis each year for Alaskan residents, most of those being chambered in .35 Whelen!   Think about it: A 16" Alaskan 'bush carbine' that fires 200gn, 225gn, or 250gn .35-cal slugs for hunting, or protecting yourself against, bears, moose, or whatever.

Now that's  a niche  weapon.

From 2015, but one AK resident posted this:  https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?25256-Shuff-s-Parkerizing-Mini-G-in-35-Whelen
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Before they were banned here, a few club members had various M1 Garands

One was a .308 conversion, tanker sized.
Chatting to the owner about it one day I asked how/when it had been re-barreled from .30-06
Turns out it hadn't been re-barreled - "Watch this" sez he...
Drops a stuck case extractor into the breech, closes the bolt, opens it - out pops a small metal ring.
Seems that the cheapest/easiest "fix" to the .30-06 barrels on hand was a drop in chamber shortening gizmo...US Gov't issue

May be an idea for something to look into?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Before they were banned here, a few club members had various M1 Garands

One was a .308 conversion, tanker sized.
Chatting to the owner about it one day I asked how/when it had been re-barreled from .30-06
Turns out it hadn't been re-barreled - "Watch this" sez he...
Drops a stuck case extractor into the breech, closes the bolt, opens it - out pops a small metal ring.
Seems that the cheapest/easiest "fix" to the .30-06 barrels on hand was a drop in chamber shortening gizmo...US Gov't issue

May be an idea for something to look into?
View Quote
Those chamber adapters were designed to be loctighted in place.  But apparently sometimes the adapter would get ejected together with the extracted case.

Its probably a better idea to just spin on a replacement. 308 barrel
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Normally I'd agree, especially if someone is just getting into Garands and wants a basic, traditional, plain-jane 'shooter' M1, like their grandfather carried in WW2 or Korea. Just get an S.A. or Winny SG in '06 and call it good.

Aside from just wanting a Mini-G because they're neat and cool and fun to shoot, the Minis are designed to fill a certain niche, and getting one assumes you have a niche to fill.

A compact, non-mag-fed autoloader that serves as an accurate and useful short-range weapon, based on the reliable, durable, and war-proven Garand-action. Could be a truck or cabin gun, or 'woods gun' for hunting deer or hogs.

I would venture to say that, with some exceptions,  most Mini-G owners also own one or more 'full-size' M1s in traditional configuration, if not original GI chambering.

It also surprised me when I heard Shuff converts about a dozen M1s into Minis each year for Alaskan residents, most of those being chambered in .35 Whelen!   Think about it: A 16" Alaskan 'bush carbine' that fires 200gn, 225gn, or 250gn .35-cal slugs for hunting, or protecting yourself against, bears, moose, or whatever.

From 2015, but one AK resident posted this:  https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?25256-Shuff-s-Parkerizing-Mini-G-in-35-Whelen
View Quote
What is the length of the CMP 308s?

i have 5 30-06 m1s so a shorter 308 would be the ticket
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A compact, non-mag-fed autoloader that serves as an accurate and useful short-range weapon, based on the reliable, durable, and war-proven Garand-action. Could be a truck or cabin gun, or 'woods gun' for hunting deer or hogs.

I would venture to say that, with some exceptions,  most Mini-G owners also own one or more 'full-size' M1s in traditional configuration, if not original GI chambering.

Same length as a .30-06 Garand.  But keep in mind that a 7.62 mm Italian Typo 2 Garand is exactly half an inch shorter than a .30-06 Garand.

(Typo 2 Garands were made by chopping half an inch off the chamber end of a .30-06 barrel.  Then the barrel threads were re-cut and the barrel rechambered to 7.62x51mm. The op rod was also shortened by half an inch and so was the stock and rear handguard)
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Same length as a .30-06 Garand.  But keep in mind that a 7.62 mm Italian Typo 2 Garand is exactly half an inch shorter than a .30-06 Garand.

(Typo 2 Garands were made by chopping half an inch off the chamber end of a .30-06 barrel.  Then the barrel threads were re-cut and the barrel rechambered to 7.62x51mm. The op rod was also shortened by half an inch and so was the stock and rear handguard)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the length of the CMP 308s

That's right. CMP M1s in '06 are the same size/length as the .308 'Specials' they sell.

CMP, for a while, also sold the so-called 18" 'Tanker' Garands (in both '06 & .308, I believe), and these were very popular a few years ago. Fulton Armory still sells a .308 'Tanker' M1 as well. So if you want an M1 that's a bit shorter than standard length, a Tanker is where you start.

I have an old Arlington Ordinance Tanker in .308 that I got back in 1990 or '91.  Actually, the barrel is stamped '7.62,' so maybe they sourced some old Navy barrels back then.  Anyway, it displayed a couple of issues out of the box, but once my 'smith figured them out, it's been running reliably every since. Accuracy is very good.

I swap out a Wolff XP 'Tanker' op rod spring about every 800-rds.  It runs a standard GI gas plug, unlike the Mini-Gs which run the Schuster adjustable plug. Minis also run Wolff XP Tanker springs, but Shuff modifies the follower rod with a cross pin to further stiffen the spring and dampen the violence of the reciprocation during the firing cycle.

For the Minis, it's the combination of the modified follower rod, Wolff XP op rod spring, and a properly tuned gas plug that makes these shorty Garands run smooth without damaging the op rod or gas system.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Those chamber adapters were designed to be loctighted in place.  But apparently sometimes the adapter would get ejected together with the extracted case.
Its probably a better idea to just spin on a replacement. 308 barrel.
View Quote
Yep, and especially since it's not prohibitively expensive to get a Garand re-barrelled to .308. And those Criterion .308 barrels are great shooters too!

Over last winter, I 'rescued' a gun store M1 with a shot-out and well-frosted LMR barrel. Had Shuff re-barrel it with a Criterion .308 tube, replaced a couple of internal parts, installed a new op rod spring from Orion7, and restocked it with Minelli M1 wood.

Got the stock set when it was on sale at Brownell's Linky here: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/furniture-sets/springfield-stock-set-fixed-wood-prod72399.aspx

Looks like a *new* M1, and it shoots great!
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep, and especially since it's not prohibitively expensive to get a Garand re-barrelled to .308. And those Criterion .308 barrels are great shooters too!

Over last winter, I 'rescued' a gun store M1 with a shot-out and well-frosted LMR barrel. Had Shuff re-barrel it with a Criterion .308 tube, replaced a couple of internal parts, installed a new op rod spring from Orion7, and restocked it with Millnelli M1 wood. (Got the stock set on sale at Brownell's ).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over last winter, I 'rescued' a gun store M1 with a shot-out and well-frosted LMR barrel. Had Shuff re-barrel it with a Criterion .308 tube, replaced a couple of internal parts, installed a new op rod spring from Orion7, and restocked it with Millnelli M1 wood. (Got the stock set on sale at Brownell's ).

Here's one of mine....

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's one of mine....
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20180822_204753-648274.jpg
That's beautiful!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top