Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 5:13:14 PM EDT
I'm looking to get an IR laser/illuminator all in the same package and from what I've researched that means an atpial-c, dbal i2 9007, dbal d2, perst 3, and holosun ls321g. Of these what is my best option? I like the atpial for aesthetic reasons (little as that matters) and that it's been fielded/lots of knowledge about it. I really like the illuminator on the d2 but don't like the red glow. I've had a 9007 dbal before and wasn't really impressed with it. And lastly the perst, I'm not sure on longevity of this one. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You never know what you are going to get with the Perst.

I know it is not preferred but peq 15?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
For what it’s worth I’m not a fan of the MAWL C+, so you aren’t missing anything there in my mind. I also think the ATPIAL C is a steaming pile of shit, and would recommend steering clear
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the PERST-3, 4 and the Holosun LS321G. They all have their pros and cons but overall I'd go with the PERST 3 as its full powered, simple easy to remember controls and awesome multifunction tape swtich, and a good price compared to the US made civilian legal options. Haven't tried the MAWL so can't give an opinion on that but no way Im spending $2500 if I can get a full power PERST for much less.

Holosun is a reliable and capable unit and I highly recommend it as a budget/starter option. My only complaints are the illuminator sucks, only good to about 100m, and it sits high so I had to mount it 3 o'clock instead of 12 and the controls are cluttered like the DBAL.

I tried a friends DBAL A3 but was not impressed
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
DBAL-A3, DBAL-i2 Single Spectrum, and ATPIAL-C (I’ve owned all 3) might as well be the same thing.  Illuminator is actually focusable on the Steiner units, but they’re so weak anyway, that none of them are worth much beyond 100y.  That distance gets even shorter in mixed lighting environments.  Of these 3, I’d pick the i2 simply because it’s the cheapest and I really don’t have a use for a visible laser.

D2 is obviously much more powerful, but as you noted, there is a red visible light emission from the front of the unit.  The issues with that are vastly overblown, IMO, for the majority of civilian end users, but that’s a decision you obviously have to make for yourself based on your specific needs and likely usage scenarios.  If I had to utilize a LAM around the $1k price point, it would be a D2.

MAWL is vastly superior in a number of ways, IMO.  I like the ergonomics and “switchology” the best out of everything I’ve tried (I don’t like tape switches at all).  Useable range is greatly increased over the first 3.  I was absolutely amazed at it’s performance in mixed light environments compared to all the other “civilian legal” options I’ve used.  I haven’t banged mine around too much, but I have no concerns with durability.

I’m thinking about picking up a Perst-3 to give it a run.  Haven’t tried one yet, but obviously it being a full power unit leaves me with no concerns about limited range.  My only concerns are in the reliability department.  It’s obviously all anecdotal, but it seems I’ve read about quite a few issues requiring a repair trip back to Russia in the big Perst thread.  That doesn’t give me too many warm fuzzies due to both the obviously long down time as well as the possible Customs confiscation issues Augee mentioned (all it takes is one idiot writing a letter, and we all know someone will do it eventually).
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For what it’s worth I’m not a fan of the MAWL C+, so you aren’t missing anything there in my mind. I also think the ATPIAL C is a steaming pile of shit, and would recommend steering clear
View Quote
So what do you like?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like the MAWL, but to be honest, I absolutely love the old ATPIAL with standard and high outputs (AN/PEQ-15, LA-5, etc.) a lot. Some of that is familiarity, I'm sure, but that's immaterial.

I have on hand MAWL-C1+s, MAWL-DAs, standard power ATPIALs and ATPIAL-Cs, all the DBAL variants, Wilcox RAID-X, and plenty of other lasers.

Gray market lasers notwithstanding (and I do consider the Perst to be a gray market item), in my opinion, nothing else commercially available matches the performance of the MAWL-C1+, and in general, I would put it's performance pretty much on par with that of a standard power AN/PEQ-15 for everything except the high power IR pointer with no visible downrange signature.

Do I think higher output lasers should be more available? Definitely, but the simple fact of the matter is that at this point they're not, except for on the gray market, which again, as long as it's not straight up stolen, I don't mind or care about the gray market, and plenty of enthusiasts, hog hunters, etc., buy on the gray market happily.

However, we deal with a lot of individual LEO customers (e.g.,) who have to equip themselves on their own dime, and are likewise restricted from purchasing high output IR laser systems whom I cannot in good conscience recommend a gray market laser to, in which case the MAWL is top dog by a long shot from an illuminator performance standpoint, and for punching through photonic barriers especially. I can make an ATPIAL-C or DBAL-I2/A2 work because I understand their limitations, and the DBAL-D2 makes for a decent match in terms of downrange performance, but again, comes with the price of downrange signature (I've played the FoF games with the D2, yes, you can see it) that makes it less than ideal for duty use.

~Augee
View Quote
You aren’t wrong there. My dislike for the MAWL C+ is that the illuminator actually works a little too well and makes the aiming laser extremely difficult to see in certain settings. I also agree, nothing compares to a full powered PEQ or a DBAL A2.

@smeeg
It all boils down to the illuminator and having enough options to deal with various lighting conditions. Most eye safe lasers leave a lot to be desired with the illuminator, with the MAWL C+ being one exception. The MAWL actually has the illuminator right, but it overpowers the aiming laser in its most useful setting. To answer the question, I wouldn’t feel like I was giving up anything with the full power units mentioned above.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used/tried out everything except a PERST3 and Holosun. For the money the 9007 is the best deal if your AOA is indoors, very dark areas, or trying to have the lowest signature possible. Take it out of that environment and the illuminator is going to suck eggs at 75 yards in urban lighting. As another member stated the glow on the D2 is mostly overblown. TNVC made a thread on their findings and stated that a faint pinkish glow could be seen @ 2 degrees from the illuminator out to about 100 yards. IMHO by the time your target seen the glow it'd be light outs by the time they said/thought "Hey Wha" since light discipline never changes for white or IR light. I have a D2 and for the money you can't beat it, but compared to my MAWL it's extremely slow and cumbersome to operate/switch modes/focus the illuminator. The Perst "had" me intrigued for a little while but a few members has experienced problems that has me questioning their QA big time. A warranty is great, but take into account shipping cost, possibly getting lost in the mail, getting pulled by customs etc would have me worried.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Holosun and the PERST-3. If you can get the Holosun for a real good deal, and make an honest call about how much IR illuminator you have *really needed in the past* - it's a nice unit. But it retails for $800 and the illuminator is only good for 75-100 depending on ambient. The pointers go forever, even at FDA levels. The problem comes if you have to pay close to retail - for just $300 more you can get a Red PERST-3 (or less if they still have the Gen 1 Plug Close Out deal going). It's tall, but Lower 1/3 was fine for me.

The PERST is full power, and Green or Green+ is almost exactly half of what a MAWL C1+ costs. But even as an owner, I admit you may get some form of a defect, and have to do exchanges with Ivan Tactical (the only place I'd buy it, even though I took a chance on the Ebay store). Mine came with the Blue IR indicator lights not working - I don't care about that, so I consider it good, but still... KPog got a bad one though IIRC. TX-Zen and nmxdavenn have roughed theirs up a bit and they are fine.

I don't know jack about any of your other units listed. I think you just need to decide if you want to pay about $1300 and maybe play the 2 week shipping time game if you get a wonky PERST (I don't recall anyone ever saying they were outright screwed over), or you want a guaranteed working civ powered MAWL for about $2500. As usual it comes down to "need" vs "want", and how thick your wallet is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You aren’t wrong there. My dislike for the MAWL C+ is that the illuminator actually works a little too well and makes the aiming laser extremely difficult to see in certain settings. I also agree, nothing compares to a full powered PEQ or a DBAL A2.

@smeeg
It all boils down to the illuminator and having enough options to deal with various lighting conditions. Most eye safe lasers leave a lot to be desired with the illuminator, with the MAWL C+ being one exception. The MAWL actually has the illuminator right, but it overpowers the aiming laser in its most useful setting. To answer the question, I wouldn’t feel like I was giving up anything with the full power units mentioned above.
View Quote
I haven't experienced that with mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#13]
As a guy who is kind of newish to this game. I love the idea of the mawl, at least with how it works. If I have the controls right in my mind, the slider for the illumination is a great idea, so much better than twist the head. I like the idea it is designed to mount "on top" but be off to the side, I do not like what I see when looking at the size of the other lasers/lights out there, too wide too tall. I do like the switch layout of the mawl, makes sense to me.

Do not like the cost.
Do not want white light and visible laser.

My perfect design would be mawl ish. IR only, slider zoom on the illumination, adjustable power for the illumination.  May be switch layout would be one button switchable to be just laser or both but with adjustable power on the illumination. Other button, call it turbo illumination for when you need the extra punch. I think this would be perfect, low power when needed 75% of the time, and high power illumination when needed at the push of a button.

I dont want or need white light and or a visible laser on a firearm setup for night work. If I want white light, I can slap on a inforce wml with IR when needed and have it helmet mounted the rest of the time.

For now I have an inforce wml ir and a lasermax ir mounted. Works fine from what playing around in the dark I have done.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently did a crap ton of research on this. Having just acquired a gorgeous TNVC wp pvs 14, I couldn't financially handle a MAWL. The DBALS are good units, but cost to performance they're pretty lack luster. I would've just financed a MAWL before I bought one of those.

For me, if you're trying to get the best bang for your buck, it came down to either a holosun, or a PERST4. I was a little wary of the perst since it's not waterproof (I live in a very rainy area), and the idea of a full power laser for a beginner spooks me.

I decided on the Holosun LS-321G.

So far I'm really impressed with it. Zeroing with the slaved lasers is really easy. The controls are nice and make sense after just a few minutes of practice. All new-production models come with a very decent tapeswitch, and are compatible with crane connectors. Meaning TNVC TAPS will work.

My only complaint with it is that it sits high. With a standard aimpoint mount, you only have about a centimeter of visibility below your reticle. So I side mounted mine. Works fine, the laser is still within an inch or so of the bore, so it's a non issue.

The laser's performance is great for the money. I have a pretty sensitive tube in my PVS-14. On the high power IR laser mode, I was getting a gnarly halo when I used it indoors. It is good to about 400 yards, depending on conditions and your tube.

The illuminator is kinda Meh. I would say it's great for close up work, you can give it a very wide spread which impressed me. The focus controls are pretty cool too, easy to find in the dark. All the way focused down, max range is just over 100 yards, and it actually gets brighter as you focus it, unlike a DBAL.

In conclusion: get a MAWL. If you can't afford that, and you don't want a PERST for whatever reason, the Holosun LS-321G is a great choice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Luna ELIR3 long range IR illuminator.
View Quote
Still stupidly big, mount looks like it holds it 3/8 of an inch or so higher than its needs too. Looks ridiculous, put that head on an inforce and maybe... Or even better no built in mount and use Arisaka Offset Scout type mount. Tuck it in closer, and at the 45 degree position, come on light makers welcome to the age on light weight Mlok not quad rails.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Still stupidly big, mount looks like it holds it 3/8 of an inch or so higher than its needs too. Looks ridiculous, put that head on an inforce and maybe... Or even better no built in mount and use Arisaka Offset Scout type mount. Tuck it in closer, and at the 45 degree position, come on light makers welcome to the age on light weight Mlok not quad rails.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luna ELIR3 long range IR illuminator.
I think you may be confusing the Luna with the Steiner SPIR.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you may be confusing the Luna with the Steiner SPIR.
View Quote
actually the Steiner spir is much better

Nope link to who lowdown posts for in the EE.

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/Luna-ELIR3-Long-range-IR-illuminator-LUNA-ELIR3.htm
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

actually the Steiner spir is much better

Nope link to who lowdown posts for in the EE.

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/Luna-ELIR3-Long-range-IR-illuminator-LUNA-ELIR3.htm
View Quote
Ok I have both. At least had both as I sold my SPIR a while ago as it was almost impossible to find a good mounting position for it with my PVS24. Never heard anyone complain about the Luna’s size before.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok I have both. At least had both as I sold my SPIR a while ago as it was almost impossible to find a good mounting position for it with my PVS24. Never heard anyone complain about the Luna’s size before.
View Quote
Its not so much the size, its more the distance off the rail/hand guard. It looks like the Dbal A4 they made the bottom recess a little to lower it.  See attached pic, it looks like Steiner basicly said" hey we built this box of fancy lasers and stuff" then just bolted a mount to the bottom like an after thought. At least the A4 looks lower and looks like they planned to make it mount lower.  And I do like steiners stuff, Just hate that it sits so high off the rail ( again see pic )

https://imgur.com/aGVenbl

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a couple set up with a CQBL and a Surefire M952V using a Unity mount to consolidate everything.

I like it.

the CQBL sucks on some damn batteries though..
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I love long Augee posts. And he's right, that damned basement is darrrrk.

Another situation that comes to mind where target-side visibility would make a difference is in an overwatch/sniper sort of situation where you might be using a clip-on and an illuminator. Say it's the D2 and you're just sitting there observing and calling back information about the target - and they see this red light coming on and off on the roofline down the street. Might not be awesome.

I'm curious about what is it about laser illuminators that makes them less visible than LEDs of the same wavelength. Is it that LEDs are leaking down into visible ranges more whereas a laser has a tighter band of wavelengths it's emitting? Is it more that the beam is tighter so you have to have the laser pointed right in your eyes to pick it up versus being further off-axis and picking up the LED? I honestly haven't looked back into a laser illuminator like the MAWL or high power PEQs because I value my eyes... but shining them into your palm at close range you can definitely still see a red/pink glow. I just wonder about why two separate lighting 'technologies' supposedly emitting the same wavelength of light would show up more or less in the visible spectrum. If it's the leaky band sort of thing, maybe just slapping on some more vis-blocking filter film to the front of the D2 illuminator would fix it right up ¯\_(?)_/¯
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You peek out into the pitch dark, and you see one or two glowing red orbs swirling around in the darkness, and you grab your gun and send a hail of rounds into those red orbs.

Be a SWAT cop: you've hit the building, but you see a staircase heading down into a sizeable basement. You know there are several bad guys hiding out inside that may have fled into the basement.

This is a real life active building, not the shoothouse you're used to at the range. Buildings aren't clean, there's glasses and plates, fire extinguishers, silverware, furniture, posters and signage, all sorts of crap hanging out inside of an active building.

You get down in the basement and realize that you can't see a goddamn thing, even with your ass kicking 2500+ FOM L3 UF WP tubes in your TNV/RNVG, so you kick on your IR illuminator from your DBAL-D2 so you can actually see. You turn into a big room, all sorts of shit is reflecting back at you, you're trying to sort out in a 1,000+ square foot room what's a threat, and what's not, and where someone could be hiding.

As you scan the basement, you suddenly see a glint of what could be eye shine, and next thing you know, there's a hail of bullets headed your way. As you start bleeding out, you think to yourself: "but the internet said that visible downrange signature wasn't a big deal..."

Okay, so I'm being a little dramatic for narrative sake.

But the point is, to some people, in some situations, the visible signature of an LED illuminator--ANY LED illuminator, can absolutely be important.

Maybe not to everyone and maybe not in every situation, but to some, in can be extremely important, and yes, potentially even the difference between life and death for some people.

~Augee
View Quote
Which is why the led flash light on my helmet is a swivel mount and can be aimed at the ceiling or floor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I was honest with myself about my nighttime shooting distance and decided that 50-100 yards is what I'll have access to. I found a really good deal on an atpial on the EE from someone local to me. I'm not Leo so if I decide I need more illumination I'll just run a vampire or an ir illuminator on my helmet. Maybe someday I will find an area that I can really take advantage of a mawl.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As you scan the basement, you suddenly see a glint of what could be eye shine, and next thing you know, there's a hail of bullets headed your way. As you start bleeding out, you think to yourself: "but the internet said that visible downrange signature wasn't a big deal..."
View Quote
"Oh God, it's an army of 400 pound men with $10,000 equipment living in a basement replicating through mitosis."

As the edges of your vision begin to fade away and you hear the clear calls of the valkyries in your ears, you think to yourself, I actually found the source of AR15.com GD...
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
(snip)
But the point is, to some people, in some situations, the visible signature of an LED illuminator--ANY LED illuminator, can absolutely be important.

(snip)

~Augee
View Quote
lets get honest here.

in that basement scenario you just used, the bad guy is going to see the green/white spill from your NVGs at your face, long before he's going to see the purple from your illuminator..

whether you're using eye cups or not..
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lets get honest here.

in that basement scenario you just used, the bad guy is going to see the green/white spill from your NVGs at your face, long before he's going to see the purple from your illuminator..

whether you're using eye cups or not..
View Quote
Really depends, but the issue at hand is you now have two different light sources from two different angles. They *might* see the splash on your face (remember, if looking your way, the goggle obstructs a fair chunk of it), but the illuminator is a second thing for them to spot.

I think the point being conveyed by TNVC's story is not so much the LED Illuminator isn't worth having ever, but that if you have the choice between LED and Laser you should always go with a laser based system. If the choice is between LED and nothing, then obviously no one is going to suggest foregoing the LED and being completely blind.

Sometimes discussions of what is incredibly ideal gets conflated with peoples realistic budget constraints - just like how Augee mentioned how incredibly valuable a COTI can be in that same basement. If we got an equally long story about how using the COTI he was able to detect a nodded up threat passively but, because someone with the MAWL went active w/ IR they got blasted - we wouldn't come away from that story assuming that if we couldn't buy a COTI to go with the PVS-14 and the MAWL, we should just leave it all at home.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Augee,

Thank you for putting this shit so elegantly. Something I lack.

I can’t get over how so many people ignore the importance of white light and vis lasers along with the importance of having everything squared away BEFORE you need it and ready for a worst case scenario that very often doesn’t involve ir.

Great post.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:20:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

First, for those who feel that the MAWL's illuminator is overpowering, are you consciously selecting between the A and B buttons for power output regulation?

~Augee
View Quote
You mean me. About that, the pic you posted explains my issue. The High setting lacks this feature altogether. It’s also not that the illuminator is overpowered, it’s actually perfect. It’s that the aiming laser is too weak in this setting. I’m sure the DA model is the bees knees. One day maybe
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:13:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
@RazorTXN

I actually came here to ask this.

I’ve been wanting to pick one up to play with it.

So it’s pretty much impossible to use with a CNVD?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@RazorTXN

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@RazorTXN

Not impossible in all scenerios but with the way my guns were set up it didn't work out. The SPIR would come into contact with the objective end of the PVS 24 at either 3 or 9 o clock. I was trying to make it work on a Larue Predatar 16 and NXS 2.5-10x32 and that scope pushed the PVS 24 so far forward that this issue arose. I also tried to make it work with a 4X acog on a 11.5 inch rifle with the 9.5" DD RIS II but had the same issue, not enough rail length for everything to fit together nicely.

I am sure you could make it work with a short optic like an ACOG on a much longer rail.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not impossible in all scenerios but with the way my guns were set up it didn't work out. The SPIR would come into contact with the objective end of the PVS 24 at either 3 or 9 o clock. I was trying to make it work on a Larue Predatar 16 and NXS 2.5-10x32 and that scope pushed the PVS 24 so far forward that this issue arose. I also tried to make it work with a 4X acog on a 11.5 inch rifle with the 9.5" DD RIS II but had the same issue, not enough rail length for everything to fit together nicely.

I am sure you could make it work with a short optic like an ACOG on a much longer rail.
View Quote
I mainly run longer optics like the NSX. I guess I’ll skip it for now. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That being said, as I mentioned earlier—if you’re not willing or able to buy on the gray market, the MAWL-C1+ IMHO is really in its own class, in terms of both performance AND price.

~Augee
View Quote
I’d agree with that 100%. It’s definitely the best thing going for a fully legit civi LAM. The main drawback of the MAWL C+ will always be price, even compared to gray market items. I saw a LA 5 for less than a new MAWL C last week. And one could buy at least 2 full power PEQ15’s for the MAWL C’s asking price. Those are some tough options to ponder. First world problems I guess
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Full power PEQ

Its not that your going to shoot past 100 yards, its the badass illuminator for scanning and spotting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I’d agree with that 100%. It’s definitely the best thing going for a fully legit civi LAM. The main drawback of the MAWL C+ will always be price, even compared to gray market items. I saw a LA 5 for less than a new MAWL C last week. And one could buy at least 2 full power PEQ15’s for the MAWL C’s asking price. Those are some tough options to ponder. First world problems I guess
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That being said, as I mentioned earlier—if you’re not willing or able to buy on the gray market, the MAWL-C1+ IMHO is really in its own class, in terms of both performance AND price.

~Augee
I have to ask where you’re seeing “gray market” full power PEQs for $1300?  The only somewhat “legit” seller I’m aware of usually charges MAWL prices for standard PEQs and north of $4k for LA5s.

If you don’t want to post it on an open forum, please PM me, I may be in the market at those prices, I was going to pick up another MAWL in the next couple weeks.

@DevilWillCry
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Sent you a email Jeff. Your PM’s weren’t working for some reason
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sent you a email Jeff. Your PM’s weren’t working for some reason
View Quote
Thank you.  Sent you an email back.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:12:10 AM EDT
[#44]
While far from the same class, there are the pistol illuminator/laser combinations out there.  As someone else pointed out, most hunting is done under 100 yards.  This is carbine range.

I need to play with the idea a bit more, but I have had fun with a pistol combo unit on a crossbow (used the streamlight flavor of this).  At the same range, the lack of an illuminator made the OTAL on a carbine less than enjoyable to use - but both were pig slayers.  I intend to play with the idea more this spring, as I have a couple extra mounts so I can move it from the crossbow, to a suppressed lever action, 300lbk, and a few large bores.

Given outputs are limited on the civi side of things, I have to wonder if the new surefire pistol combo unit might be a decent low power rival to the dbal and atpal.  I don’t think it will rival the MAWL, but at MAWL pricing and availability - I don’t see getting many of them.

Honestly, the MAWL does hit it out of the park on many points - but one thing I wish others would do is the offset mount.  Being able to mount to a top rail but keeping it out of the scope’s way is very convenient - and a lot more fun than playing with 45 degree offset mounts, especially since U/D & L/R are all screwed up once you do that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#45]
On this subject, anyone ever give the FLIR T-MAIM a go? How does it stack up?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top