Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2018 12:45:18 AM EDT
I am wanting to get an inexpensive ($150-250) .22 rifle for use as a pest killer.

I’ve got other .22’s, and enjoy tinkering with them, but I don’t really want to have to do a bunch of modifications to get the trigger, barrel, etc., to where it needs to be.  Basically this will be just a tool.

It’ll need to have a scope, and I’d like to be all in for $250 or less.  It can be a semi auto or bolt, just as long as it’s not single shot.

I have been looking at the Savage Mark II FVXP that comes with a 3-9 scope for around $250.  What’s the opinion on that?  Savage

What other options should I consider?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
In that price range basically savage, Ruger American Rimfire, or marlin with the edge going to savage on accuracy (in general).

Ergonomics and magazine goes to Ruger

Having said that there is a member here who finds some sweet deals on older target 22’s that shoot really well (i.e. Russian, CZ, etc...)
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
A 10-22 with a Simmons straight 4X scope would be a good choice. Right now CDNN has a 10-22 with the modular stock for $219 and they had them on sale for $199 a few weeks ago. The stock is a big upgrade from the wood/blue base model for the same money. I guess it depends how much a transfer is in your town. The 10-22 triggers have gotten a lot better lately. Not super but better than they were. If you can find a used 10-22 that would be even better.

Pawn shops here are full of Marlin model 60's which aren't bad guns as long as you can keep the scope from walking on the mounting grooves. You would need good rings instead of cheapies to do that. The Marlin model 60's are about $150 new at Walmart.

A guy at work who is on a budget just bought a Savage model 64. I hadn't heard of them but investigation reveals they are a proven design with a solid reputation. There are a lot of used, cheap 22 rifles out there if you aren't looking for a specific gun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Savage MKII FV
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Marlin XT-22 with a Nikon .22 single power scope that does well, and when I bought them, was right around $250 including a couple extra mags and cheap scope rings.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue, and happy pest hunting.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI.

Except marlin being remington now...

I'd pick up a savage without thinking twice, but now with the american taking 10/22 mags, that really seals the deal.

Either will be plenty accurate.

I have no issues taking squirrels past 50. I even informally shot my american at 200 yards and got around 6" groups. Usually she does about 1/2" at 50 with good ammo, a bit less with match grade.

The OP reads like he really just wants a backyard gun, in which case I'd be looking for something threaded...
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of the input so far.  I have a boatload of 10/22 magazines, which, in most situations, would really push me towards the American.  But in this case, the gun won’t really be much of a “take to the range” or plinking gun, so just having a couple of magazines for it will be sufficient.  I’d prefer better accuracy vs. magazine compatibility.

That’s interesting to know about the 10/22 triggers getting better.  I’ve got one I bought several years ago and the stock trigger in it was atrocious.

Yes, it will be a backyard gun. But it will be out in the country, so noise won’t really matter that much.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a barely shot Ruger American from a friend who had to have a bolt action for his kids to pass Hunter Ed.

With open sights, at 25 yards I can group inside of an inch.   I'm certain it would do better with a scope.  It isn't as nice as my CZ 455 but for almost half the price it is surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Savage FVSR.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruger American.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
For my last 10/22 I bought a $40 Volquartsen hammer and sprig kit, and it was the best investment I made on a 10/22.  Along with a Green Mountain barrel, I built rifle I could confidentially shoot indoor .22 benchrest with.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For my last 10/22 I bought a $40 Volquartsen hammer and sprig kit, and it was the best investment I made on a 10/22.  Along with a Green Mountain barrel, I built rifle I could confidentially shoot indoor .22 benchrest with.
View Quote
I’ve got a 10/22 that’s paritially there...I have that trigger kit installed.  I haven’t gotten a barrel yet though.   A long time ago I even picked up a hogue stock on clearance that’s made for a bull barrel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:44:55 AM EDT
[#12]
IMHO (given the budget of $250).....

If I wanted a semi auto.  I'd go for the Ruger 10/22.
If I wanted a bolt action.  I'd go for a Marlin XT 22 or find a used Marlin or Glenfield 25 (or 925).
If I wanted a lever action.  I'd go for a Marlin 39a or 39M.  But, these are out of the price range that you have set.

Anyway.....make sure that you can find magazines.  Some older rifles are difficult to find magazines for,  And, some magazines can be expensive.

Why.....Ruger 10/22?  Because it's like the AR of 22LRs.  Meaning that, accessories are available that could turn your Plain Jane Ruger 10/22, into something more suitable for whatever direction you want to take it.

Why.....the Marlin bolts?  I happen to love Marlins.  Magazines can usually be found for decent prices even at Sportsman Warehouse and Cabela's.  The rifles are accurate enough and they have proven records for reliability.

Scope?  You can spend a fortune on just a scope alone.   But, if you're looking for a budget scope.  My I suggest a Simmons 22 Mag.  3-9x 40mm.  They can frequently be found on sale going for about $35-$40 (or a little north of that price).

BTW....I got a Norinco JW15 a long time ago at a gunshow.   Anyway.....here is a teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZUUE5zJWU  

They are not imported into the USA anymore.  Finding extra magazines was difficult and expensive (CZ magazines can also be used).   If you can find a good one at a gun show.....you might want to consider it.   They can still be found at an "under the radar" price.

Tube magazines aren't my style.   So, unless it's attached to a lever action rifle.......I'll pass.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Marlin 60 is a great shooter right out of the box.  Not as many mods out there but you did say out of the box.
Mine however has quite a few modifications and is great fun to plink with.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Marlin model 60
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Cricket .22
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree one of the savages or a marlin 60 are likely "most accurate".

However , for a back yard pest gun the Ruger 10/22 will have decent accuracy and if you get bored with the basic rifle there is a world of add on crap to keep you interested
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top